BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Graham Poll On Motd

Paul

Surely referees have enough to contend? TV moniotrs their every move, pulling apart every decision, often showing, after hours of video tape and CGI analysis, how a man got a split second decision wrong.

Watching Graham Poll on MOTD now and find it disappointing an ex-referee takes the media coin to criticise his former colleagues. Both he and the BBC could have contributed more by putting things from a referee's perspective. Bad move by Poll and the Beeb.

Agreed, also couldn't beleive how bad the analysis of the Rovers game was.

Derby missed their chances but we where clinical? Baffling because to me we battered them and they hardly created a chance all game.

Notice how Graham Poll conveniently missed Aaron getting the ball and catching the player with his trailing leg.

The guy is obviously trying to be controversial in order to get publicity - I cant remember him being so open to criticism about his own referee-ing - 3 yellow cards anyone?

Sadly, to agree with Paul.

It looks like Graham Poll has taken the media's money and has jumped upon the "let's blame the referee for everything" bandwagon which seems to be the current trend.

From his comments on MOTD it seems that he thinks at least 3 players should have been sent off today, which is a bit over the top by anyone's standards.

At least he referred to the "Laws Of The Game"

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Dec 31 2007, 01:17 ) 570287[/snapback]
Thought Peter Walton had a decent game today... if he had sent Moko off, then he would have to have sent Eddie Lewis off for much the same incident about 5 minutes earlier.

The funny thing was it was the Axe on the Rovers side who moaned to the ref about him not carding Lewis the second time. I guess Walton saw Aaron's foot up as competitive rather than premeditated otherwise he would have walked.

To be honest, I felt Walton was generous to Derby in the way a ref in a charity kids v dads game is generous to the underdog.

As for Poll, his article in the Mail about the Rovers recently was utterly disgraceful. Didn't see MoTD but I can imagine the standard of Poll's contribution if his article is any guide.

Finally, I thought Uriah Rennie was very good handling the City v Liverpool game last night. Rennie has clearly improved as his demotion.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Dec 31 2007, 01:17 ) 570287[/snapback]
Thought Peter Walton had a decent game today... if he had sent Moko off, then he would have to have sent Eddie Lewis off for much the same incident about 5 minutes earlier.

He would've needed the Tardis to do that. :wacko:

Surely referees have enough to contend? TV moniotrs their every move, pulling apart every decision, often showing, after hours of video tape and CGI analysis, how a man got a split second decision wrong.

Watching Graham Poll on MOTD now and find it disappointing an ex-referee takes the media coin to criticise his former colleagues. Both he and the BBC could have contributed more by putting things from a referee's perspective. Bad move by Poll and the Beeb.

I don't really agree. Employing the likes of Poll as a critic might lead to referees to explaining / defending their actions on TV and heaven forbid actually being accountable for some of their decisions. I know referees are only human and perform without the benefit of replays (Dowd I think excepted?) but mistakes can be hugely costly.... ask Sheff Utd!

Very often the TV shows that a mistake has been made, the pundits agree yet there is no word of explanation from the officials. It leaves a frustrating grey area every week. This weekend Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal (just off the top of my head) benefitted greatly from huge refereeing errors yet there was no explanation or public accountability whatsoever from the officials. Who knows nailing the officilas down after the match might just lead to fewer big club 'homers' and that can only ever be a good thing!

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Dec 30 2007, 18:17 ) 570287[/snapback]

Not to mention the incident just before that where Rocky was clattered from behind.

graham poll has a useful contribution to make on MOTD and also on Score! (via the red button)

he can explain the Laws of the Game.

for instance, when talking about the penalty at spurs, he said the correct decision would have been a free kick to reading (after defoe had encroached at the penalty kick)

i for one didn't know that was the rule??

also on the Score! show a few days ago, when sunderland were given a penalty and mark bright was wittereing on about "contact" and "intent" Poll was able to explain that "intent" and "contact" (with the player, that is) are irrelevant in deciding whether there is a foul or not. the only question is whether the player made contact with the ball.

For all that, it is a bit tough by Poll to be so openly critical of refs and linesmen (oooops, i mean assistant referees) on tv without them having a chance to defend themselves.

The best bit was when he said Eddie Lewis should have been sent off for going in for the ball after Brad saved the pen. Yeah he was late but he didn't exactley stamp on his face and there seemed to be no intent to injury Brad.

No more Poll please.

Admin.............. I think we need a poll on this....... :rolleyes:

For all that, it is a bit tough by Poll to be so openly critical of refs and linesmen (oooops, i mean assistant referees) on tv without them having a chance to defend themselves.

Maybe but they have every chance to explain their decisions and very few ever take that chance! Totally understandable of course but this might now force em to break cover more often and try to get their retaliation in first. Imo Reading fans fully deserve an explanation for the goal from the pen at a pivotal moment in the match, likewise with the Mags. And maybe Arteta could be informed why he is suspended for 3 matches whilst Bendtner is out for one.

I don't really agree. Employing the likes of Poll as a critic might lead to referees to explaining / defending their actions on TV and heaven forbid actually being accountable for some of their decisions. I know referees are only human and perform without the benefit of replays (Dowd I think excepted?) but mistakes can be hugely costly.... ask Sheff Utd!

Very often the TV shows that a mistake has been made, the pundits agree yet there is no word of explanation from the officials. It leaves a frustrating grey area every week. This weekend Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal (just off the top of my head) benefitted greatly from huge refereeing errors yet there was no explanation or public accountability whatsoever from the officials. Who knows nailing the officilas down after the match might just lead to fewer big club 'homers' and that can only ever be a good thing!

I can see the view but I'm not sure it will happen, and find it hard to imagine this being Poll's motivation for appearing on MOTD. As has been said earlier he could play valuable roll in explaining the laws and their application - the Spurs encroachment being a great example. I would have thought it should have been a re-take not an indirect free kick.

Referees always made errors, probably more than we have been aware of, and it is only modern TV that now highlights these. A poor referee ruins a game, no doubt about it, but these men have no protection, make split second decisions knowing they will be pilloried for getting it wrong, and, I think, are not allowed to defend their decisions publically. Frequently the referee is accused of costing team X the match, Europe or a championship - when did a manger ever make the same accusation towards a player?

I don't want to defend bad refereeing as I've seen enough games ruined by this. A weekly criticism from Poll is likely to make referees and linesmen err on the side of caution? This is unlikely to help the game in general. Give the referee some modern aids, TV replays etc and put him on a level playing field, then he can be criticised for a decision when he has the same benefits as do his critics.

Retake if a defender encroaches. That has been enforced to the ludicrous extent in the '80s of a Rovers converted penalty being retaken because an opposition defender was in the area. We scored the retake as well thankfully.

In the Reading case, it should have been a free kick- the ref was standing correctly watching for encroachment and let it go. Wasn't even a marginal decision and compounded by Defoe scoring from the rebound.

That for me was the refereeing howler of the week-end.

Retake if a defender encroaches. That has been enforced to the ludicrous extent in the '80s of a Rovers converted penalty being retaken because an opposition defender was in the area. We scored the retake as well thankfully.

In the Reading case, it should have been a free kick- the ref was standing correctly watching for encroachment and let it go. Wasn't even a marginal decision and compounded by Defoe scoring from the rebound.

That for me was the refereeing howler of the week-end.

imo the linesman should be the one watching for encroachment. The ref should be watching nothing but the taker and even more importantly the goalkeeper. One person cannot be expected to watch all 3.

I can see the view but I'm not sure it will happen, and find it hard to imagine this being Poll's motivation for appearing on MOTD. As has been said earlier he could play valuable roll in explaining the laws and their application - the Spurs encroachment being a great example. I would have thought it should have been a re-take not an indirect free kick.

Referees always made errors, probably more than we have been aware of, and it is only modern TV that now highlights these. A poor referee ruins a game, no doubt about it, but these men have no protection, make split second decisions knowing they will be pilloried for getting it wrong, and, I think, are not allowed to defend their decisions publically. Frequently the referee is accused of costing team X the match, Europe or a championship - when did a manger ever make the same accusation towards a player?

I don't want to defend bad refereeing as I've seen enough games ruined by this. A weekly criticism from Poll is likely to make referees and linesmen err on the side of caution? This is unlikely to help the game in general. Give the referee some modern aids, TV replays etc and put him on a level playing field, then he can be criticised for a decision when he has the same benefits as do his critics.

Free kick to the defending side - they should not be punished a second time (ie retake the penalty) if the side takeing the penalty has committed the offence (ie the infringement). If he had scored with the defender infringing - goal stands, if he had missed with defender infringing - penalty re-taken

imo the linesman should be the one watching for encroachment. The ref should be watching nothing but the taker and even more importantly the goalkeeper. One person cannot be expected to watch all 3.

It is always easier to have the assistant on the goal line, both watching for ball over the line and the possibility of the keeper moving out from his line, before the kick is taken, and the referee watching for encroachment. At least that is the formula that I always had at penalties, and it always worked.

And maybe Arteta could be informed why he is suspended for 3 matches whilst Bendtner is out for one.

Because Arteta was given a straight red for violent conduct which carries a three match suspension. Bendter was send off for two bookable offences which carries a one match suspension.

Because Arteta was given a straight red for violent conduct which carries a three match suspension. Bendter was send off for two bookable offences which carries a one match suspension.

I think what tnr meant was that Bendtner's "second yellow" was more than worthy of a straight red.

Yes Theno, it probably would; but ONLY if it was done in a proper and fair manner. Which immediately raises the question: which of the media pundits would ever do that? Big Clubs Rule OK!!

The best bit was when he said Eddie Lewis should have been sent off for going in for the ball after Brad saved the pen. Yeah he was late but he didn't exactley stamp on his face and there seemed to be no intent to injury Brad.

No more Poll please.

If he said this, then he truly is an idiot. Lewis barely touched Brad, and it did not even warrant a yellow card.

I have seen the red card hungry referees send our players off this season for much less than Mokeona's challenge.

However, the fact he did not brandish the red is credit to him.

I really feel like we are victimised by referees STILL. All those years after the dark days of Souness, when we deserved it.

We have 5 reds this season already, and only one of them was merited. If you compare how referees treat our fouls and then other clubs, it is like there is one rule for us and one rule for the rest of the premiership.

I really think that the referee we had yesterday had a good game.

Poll seems ready to be the controversial idiot, as a commmentator. The man should have some integrity.

Archived