BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nickos Thread

nicko

in one paper..it says about love signing for city..but its wagner not vagner love. lol..

is this macedonia player on trial at rovers???

I thought it was Wagner too until I checked yesterday and found out it was Vagner...anyway, he's Brazilian.

No word to confirm Macedonian's arrival, but I have been on other things.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nicko, with all due respect, how on earth does a story about a 2nd tier club maybe signing a couple of players - one admittedly well known, the other nobody would recognise - make the front page headlines? Even back page headlines would be pushing the story a bit too far in its importance to the majority of the populace.

Taking the emotive out of the situation, I like you would think A.Cole to be a good signing for them - but how as for promotion - I would be counting your winnings just yet fella.

Just to explain.

The Sunday People did a special Burnley edition today...to get the story on the front in that area only.

We did the same with two Blackburn stories - the takeover tales - in the summer and sales went up 10 per cent in the area.

It's good to know football sells papers...as a matter of interest I will find out if there were any extra sales in Burnley today and pass that on.

Got say I'm a bit shocked that they also appeared in Blackburn. Funny feeling that would have a negative effect.

On Andy Cole, I think it is a shrewd signing - on loan for the rest of the season - but it is one of only four arrivals I would expect this week. The Argentinian could be something special..it's not every day you find one of them in town.

As far as Michael Bradley is concerned, if we could get him into a Blackburn Rover shirt for a decent amount, I think it'd be a great acquisition. Just from watching him in a few US National Team games, he seems to have "it". I think he'd liven up our midfield some and add some presence in the midfield. He's also still only 20 years old so would add some youthfulness to the midfield too.

I'm surprised Sunderland are letting him go, he would be a good partner for Jones. Not sure what Prica is like, but Chopra, Stokes and Murphy don't look like players you can rely on to keep you up.

Cole will do well in the championship, quality player, even if he has lost some pace.

Just to explain.

The Sunday People did a special Burnley edition today...to get the story on the front in that area only.

We did the same with two Blackburn stories - the takeover tales - in the summer and sales went up 10 per cent in the area.

It's good to know football sells papers...as a matter of interest I will find out if there were any extra sales in Burnley today and pass that on.

Got say I'm a bit shocked that they also appeared in Blackburn. Funny feeling that would have a negative effect.

On Andy Cole, I think it is a shrewd signing - on loan for the rest of the season - but it is one of only four arrivals I would expect this week. The Argentinian could be something special..it's not every day you find one of them in town.

A)...I'm expecting plenty of "They can read in Burnley now?? :blink: posts :wacko::lol:

and...

B) There are loads of Brazilians and Argentines around here <_<

As far as Michael Bradley is concerned, if we could get him into a Blackburn Rover shirt for a decent amount, I think it'd be a great acquisition. Just from watching him in a few US National Team games, he seems to have "it". I think he'd liven up our midfield some and add some presence in the midfield. He's also still only 20 years old so would add some youthfulness to the midfield too.

I'm sure Fulham are already trying to sign him. :wacko:

Just to explain.

So "The People" is to become both a sports and totty rag then :blink:

So, what would be the break even sales increase to cover the localised headlines / stories? Do we now see the future for the sundies competiton strategies?

Presumably Mr Mixon will get paid more for front page stories rather than titbits on pages 48 and 49!

Just to explain.

Just out of interest, how does the newspaper business work? If you do a good local story like this, do you print and send, say, 20% more copies to an area and take back the unsold ones? If, say, the NOTW or People have a massive exclusive, do they ram the presses up? I'm a tad intrigued at the logistics of the industry.

Nicko, is there any news going around on where Angulo or Albelda from Valencia are headed?

Both are not going to play for Koeman again, so I would of thought they would be out of there by Thursday, unless he is sacked first.

Could be worth a cheeky last minute loan bid for either if nothing is lined up for them.

Hate to interrupt the hum of transfer excitement and go abstract, but I wonder whether we are currently witnessing the future of the press.

Advertising revenues are on the wane and the internet is threatening paper power - so why not ensconce your reporters in vibrant and preferably obsessive net forum communities to ingratiate, titilate, and generally dangle carrots (other biennials are available) to sell papers. And in the process and perhaps, more importantly, you mould a respectable human face onto to a previously impersonal and suspect brand - a marketing man's dream.

Before anyone or Nickos Dabizas himself slams my cynicism, I'm not saying Nickos is thinking like this but you have to say it has changed the face of this board - if only during transfer season. The usual rigid rules about no multiple threads for one topic and avoiding OT (what is OT in a Nickos Thread?) have been cast aside to allow this exception and this thread is perhaps the only many people read these days. I wonder whether sales of Nickos' paper have increased amongst Rovers readership since he got his own permanent slice of the cake.

What will it be next? Reporters from the Sun.... heaven forbid, the Times or Guardian wrestling for access to BRFCS... and perhaps, money will resolve the contest and moderators will be enriched and a monopoly granted to the highest bidder.

Pioneers, that's what we are. :rover:

The crux of my meanderings is that I am openly wondering where the line between commercial self-promotion and interesting insight lies, if it does lie at all. In a world in which advertising is as common as oxygen, should we allow this little haven to succumb?

Hate to interrupt the hum of transfer excitement and go abstract, but I wonder whether we are currently witnessing the future of the press.

Advertising revenues are on the wane and the internet is threatening paper power - so why not ensconce your reporters in vibrant and preferably obsessive net forum communities to ingratiate, titilate, and generally dangle carrots (other biennials are available) to sell papers. And in the process and perhaps, more importantly, you mould a respectable human face onto to a previously impersonal and suspect brand - a marketing man's dream.

Before anyone or Nickos Dabizas himself slams my cynicism, I'm not saying Nickos is thinking like this but you have to say it has changed the face of this board - if only during transfer season. The usual rigid rules about no multiple threads for one topic and avoiding OT (what is OT in a Nickos Thread?) have been cast aside to allow this exception and this thread is perhaps the only many people read these days. I wonder whether sales of Nickos' paper have increased amongst Rovers readership since he got his own permanent slice of the cake.

What will it be next? Reporters from the Sun.... heaven forbid, the Times or Guardian wrestling for access to BRFCS... and perhaps, money will resolve the contest and moderators will be enriched and a monopoly granted to the highest bidder.

Pioneers, that's what we are. :rover:

The crux of my meanderings is that I am openly wondering where the line between commercial self-promotion and interesting insight lies, if it does lie at all. In a world in which advertising is as common as oxygen, should we allow this little haven to succumb?

What a load of testicles.

Conversations on threads overlap at times, so not being able to talk about a number of things at once gets irritating sometimes, this is why I hardly ever go on the official forum.

Nicko has provided us with a lot of information on this thread with regards to the potential takeovers, transfer market and other goings on at the club. Some of which has been in the papers, some which has not.

This thread has improved the forum because people have people have the freedom to discuss different topics and can also ask questions which they get a honest answer to.

I never used to buy the Mirror or Sunday People until Nicko started posting on here, but because he has, I have found that they are the best for Rovers associated News, so I for one am glad.

What I saw on U-Tube he looked a reasonable player, and if he's only young and the price is right I say give him a try. But, as always, Sparky is the best judge and he will do his own thing.

I'm not saying Nicko is cynically advertising. Clearly, there is a great appetite from us obsessives for table crumbs and more which he may provide. (But, note, an obsessive audience is more easily accommodated.)

However, I just think that the people who run this messageboard should keep a close eye on posts which are de facto advertisings. This isn't really happening but there is scope for it, imo, down the line (not necessarily from Nicko but from anyone who sees the commercial benefits of such threads as this). I haven't checked the messageboard rules but I'm sure there's something there about commercial self-publication.

If just scrolled back a few pages and found this from Nicko. Sure, providing interesting info and posted in good faith. HOWEVER, does this threaten the boundary of advertising ? IF so, have the moderators officially given the nod to it (as according to the prerogative they have reserved themselves under Rule 16 of the Board RUles)? And if it is not deemed advertising, why is that? I'd like to know, not sure if anyone else cares though. :rolleyes:

The two REAL Burnley targets are the Argentinian winger Marcelo Carrusca and good old Andy Cole...somebody stuck the Jon Stead line at the end of it, no idea where that came from.

Carrusca plays for Galatasaray and they have been working on it for weeks. If all goes to plan it will be done very quickly. He is a left winger and a real talent.

Cole could be a shrews signing on loan, he helped Birmingham get up last season and is fresh because he hardly had a kick for Sunderland. Plus Burnley make a lot of chances, so hopefully he remembers the way to goal.

There will be others, but these two will make them more of an attacking threat if they get the deals over the line this week.

Both the Rovers midfield 'trialist' and Keita departure stories are also in the paper.

It's a lively old edition, feel free to buy it.

I would say that one thing the 'customer' always wants is news. This is why I do what I do. In papers for about 30 years and on here for a few months...the fact that there is interest shows that people want to know some clues about what happens in football and not just the 'party line' pumped out by clubs.

As a fan before I was a reporter I know that there is a non-stop appetite for information. Now, in a day when you have 24-hour TV, there is still a hunger for something new - maybe even greater - and especially at a club that is normally overlooked by the media.

Good.

The future of newspapers or any other media will always be in news. You can either wait for it in the paper shop or you can get it on the net when the papers come out that way.

It doesn't matter where you get it...what matters is what you get.

As for 'editionalising' newspapers I think there is a lot to be said for the occasional special if it attracts readers. That's the idea after all, selling something that is interesting.

Most of us get our info from around the world and don't pay for it...it's also right that the actual newspaper itself gets bought in the shops. I'll be interested to see how the Sunday People's latest effort worked. I am veryu proud of the fact that they made an effort. Hopefully it reassures people at the paper that it is worth trying to get people to buy the thing.

Anyway, enough of the science...

So "The People" is to become both a sports and totty rag then :blink:

So, what would be the break even sales increase to cover the localised headlines / stories? Do we now see the future for the sundies competiton strategies?

Presumably Mr Mixon will get paid more for front page stories rather than titbits on pages 48 and 49!

Regretably not.

Just out of interest, how does the newspaper business work? If you do a good local story like this, do you print and send, say, 20% more copies to an area and take back the unsold ones? If, say, the NOTW or People have a massive exclusive, do they ram the presses up? I'm a tad intrigued at the logistics of the industry.

What happens when you do a local special is to send the same amount of papers and hopefully just sell more of them. There isn't a bigger print run, they just 'slip' a special edition that is aimed at one specific area. By the sounds of it there was some overlapping today, but I'm not knocking the circulation department for that.

Nicko,

Is there any news on the takeover, is it possible a deal will be done by the time the transfer window closes ? so we could have some extra cash for players ?

No news from me, but there is no chance it could be done by Thursday anyway even if the Asian chaps came up with the cash tomorrow...it just could not be done.

I'm not saying Nicko is cynically advertising. Clearly, there is a great appetite from us obsessives for table crumbs and more which he may provide. (But, note, an obsessive audience is more easily accommodated.)

However, I just think that the people who run this messageboard should keep a close eye on posts which are de facto advertisings. This isn't really happening but there is scope for it, imo, down the line (not necessarily from Nicko but from anyone who sees the commercial benefits of such threads as this). I haven't checked the messageboard rules but I'm sure there's something there about commercial self-publication.

If just scrolled back a few pages and found this from Nicko. Sure, providing interesting info and posted in good faith. HOWEVER, does this threaten the boundary of advertising ? IF so, have the moderators officially given the nod to it (as according to the prerogative they have reserved themselves under Rule 16 of the Board RUles)? And if it is not deemed advertising, why is that? I'd like to know, not sure if anyone else cares though. :rolleyes:

Is it causing any problem with you if he does plug the newspaper ? it certainly doesn`t bother me and doesn`t seem to bother the board that he is - I, for one am extremely grateful for Mr Nixons table crumbs and I have never been so interested to read comments on a message board before, so its quite right that he should plug the paper where his articles are published - I don`t presume he is on commission for how many people buy it so whats the harm ?

He is not causing offense or taking business away from people who are reading his posts so why highlight it and refer to the board rules unless you have nothing better to do ! - you should be thankful that he spends the time to post.

Bradley has looked good in the games I've seen him in, U20 World Cup and a few friendlies for the nat'l team. He's also been banging them in pretty good for H'veen. In short, he might be good, but not for £4.7m or whatev.

I also thought Feilhaber looked good too. :blink:

Archived