BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Fantastic shout that. Went to the Strawbury Duck tonight on the back of this post - 7 minutes on the train from Darwen - and it was great.

Last time I went (3 or 4 years ago), it was still owned by Cains brewery, and the trouble the brewery was in was reflected in their pub. They struggled to put a ham sandwich together,

Tonight the food was spot on, the menu offers lots of choice and they've even got their own farm at Belmont ... you can't bring the food miles down any more than that!

Definitely recommended.

Been a couple of times, and the first was considerably better than the second. The second the place was very busy, and the food was overcooked and very greasy, but the first time it was very good.

Its in a lovely setting, and on the doorstep of some decent walking too and you can get a decent pint before the 30 second walk back to the train station.

• Backroom

Ocean Palace at BullHill. A little overpriced and reads like a takeaway menu. But bloody tasty, well-cooked and good service.

Watch out for the drinks, mind.

If too late for their early-birddeals then one portion will be easily shared between 2.

Edited by Mike Ellison

Went Bukhara on Friday night and as always, lived up to the high expectations. A total of 7 of us went and service, food and price were all brilliant.

Our order was:

Starters:

7 x Poppadoms

2 x Pickle trays

2 x Mixed grills

2 x Masala Fish

1 x Chicken Tikka

2 x Meat Samosa’s

1 x Jahangiri Prawns

2 x Chips

1 x Masala Chips

1 x Greek Salad

1 x Mango Salad

Mains:

1 x Desi ghost

1 x Karahi Lamb

1 x Lahori King Prawns

1 x Chicken Jalfrazi

1 x Chilman Biryani

2 x Pilau Rice

2 x Chips

4x Naan bread

1 x Keema Naan

4 x Jugs of Coca Cola

2 x Mango Lassi

All of that came to a total of £175.

The new Jahangiri prawns that have just been added onto the menu we're simply awesome.

New Desi ghosht has been added to the menu. The lamb is on the bone and that too was fantastic.

• Like 1

Sweetheart hahaha ,love the way you hide behind your monitor saying such hardman comments.

I'd say what I have on this messageboard to you in person, my opinion doesn't change because I am on a computer.

Where as with you, I'm sure you wouldn't have the balls to say half the @#/? you come out with on here to someone in person. Definition of a typical soft barsteward.

Went Bukhara on Friday night and as always, lived up to the high expectations. A total of 7 of us went and service, food and price were all brilliant.

Our order was:

Starters:

7 x Poppadoms

2 x Pickle trays

2 x Mixed grills

2 x Masala Fish

1 x Chicken Tikka

2 x Meat Samosa’s

1 x Jahangiri Prawns

2 x Chips

1 x Masala Chips

1 x Greek Salad

1 x Mango Salad

Mains:

1 x Desi ghost

1 x Karahi Lamb

1 x Lahori King Prawns

1 x Chicken Jalfrazi

1 x Chilman Biryani

2 x Pilau Rice

2 x Chips

4x Naan bread

1 x Keema Naan

4 x Jugs of Coca Cola

2 x Mango Lassi

All of that came to a total of £175.

The new Jahangiri prawns that have just been added onto the menu we're simply awesome.

New Desi ghosht has been added to the menu. The lamb is on the bone and that too was fantastic.

Despite championing the food from the Bukhara many times on here (until they got found out for unacceptable hygiene failings ) I deem that given your uncle owns the restaurant your recommendation is hardly worth a light.

I believe guideline 15 might apply......

15. No unsolicited advertising

Whilst we do allow adverts of particular relevance to Rovers fans, all adverts must be submitted to admin for approval before posting. Note that adverts of no particular interest to Rovers fans, including adverts for other websites and businesses, are not permitted. Interested commercial advertisers should contact admin to discuss advertising options. Admin can be contacted via email at admin@brfcs.com

• Like 1

Went to Kirkby Lonsdale yesterday to try the bar/restaurant 'Avanti' (Mediterranean Cuisine) which had been recommended to us. Unfortunately we missed the afternoon food cut off time by ten minutes! Apparently the pizzas are 'to die for' and bearing in mind I have yet to find anywhere on a par with those at The Godfather in Darwen, I was up for the challenge.

Went to nearby Plato's instead which had also been recommended. Opted for the bar menu and we two had the minced steak burgers topped with cheese, chips, onion rings and dips. Nice. There was also a tapas menu and the a la carte. Great place and well worthy of a visit in the evening for the full a la carte.

Despite championing the food from the Bukhara many times on here (until they got found out for unacceptable hygiene failings ) I deem that given your uncle owns the restaurant your recommendation is hardly worth a light.

I believe guideline 15 might apply...... 15. No unsolicited advertising

Whilst we do allow adverts of particular relevance to Rovers fans, all adverts must be submitted to admin for approval before posting. Note that adverts of no particular interest to Rovers fans, including adverts for other websites and businesses, are not permitted. Interested commercial advertisers should contact admin to discuss advertising options. Admin can be contacted via email at admin@brfcs.com

It was a recommendation and my opinion was shared by 6 others who were with me at the time. 5* rating for food hygiene and 5* food.

You have a problem, you know where the email address is, pop Glenn an email.

I'd say what I have on this messageboard to you in person, my opinion doesn't change because I am on a computer.

Where as with you, I'm sure you wouldn't have the balls to say half the kean you come out with on here to someone in person. Definition of a typical soft barsteward.

Knowing Shaun, I would love to be there when you meet this 'soft barsteward'. The hilarity watching you instantly trying to make friends, while you drop half a pound into your jockeys would be worth the trip to Barnsley.

So come on big mouth, stand by your convictions. Come out with the same insults with him face to face, you won't though will you ?

Idiot.

• Like 1

A good rating BWR but unfortunately it appears to be more through fear and pressure than by free will and choice. The entire issue imo is cos the owners misjudged public reaction and intolerance to their slovenleness. There are far too much competition from IndoPakBangla restaurants around these parts to fly full on inagainst hygiene regulation. As I said I rate the food at the Bukhara but it'll never quite taste the same again in our household. Your Uncle has learned a harsh lesson about how long it takes a restaurant in this country to earn a good reputation and how quickly (and easily) one can be lost. He could sell it to new owners but the bad will would be carried on after the sale in the minds of very many people.

Edited by thenodrog
  • Like 1

A good rating BWR but unfortunately it appears to be more through fear and pressure than by free will and choice. The entire issue imo is cos the owners misjudged public reaction and intolerance to their slovenleness. There are far too much competition from IndoPakBangla restaurants around these parts to fly full on inagainst hygiene regulation. As I said I rate the food at the Bukhara but it'll never quite taste the same again in our household. Your Uncle has learned a harsh lesson about how long it takes a restaurant in this country to earn a good reputation and how quickly (and easily) one can be lost. He could sell it to new owners but the bad will would be carried on after the sale in the minds of very many people.

This is correct.

• Moderation Lead

A good curry place is Anar Kali' at haslingden old road just near Baxenden. Formerly the farmer's glory, the best curry I've ever had. I've not been to the Shajan, though I hear it's terrific.

• Backroom

Never had a bad meal at Shajan, always go I'm decent numbers and the only issue has been how busy its been and had to wait in the bar which isn't a worry

The sundries are superb as well the garlic Naans and the chips are beautiful and every curry I've tried there has been brilliant

I've heard that's nice, I was supposed to be going about a month ago but it never came off. I usually end up going to Anaz, Akash or Raj when it comes to places in the local area, just fancied something a bit different this time.

Like everyone at work keeps telling me to go Maida (sp?) but I've just never got round to it.

Best curry in East Lancs? Resh's previously Sukhis in Darwen. Sukhi has retired and his son Resh has taken over. Try there you won't be disappointed.

Shajan? Curry house for the Ribble Valley, been twice and it's nice but I always felt that we should have spent our money in Darwen, the curry centre of the area.

Edited by old darwen blue