• Reid
    • Dunn
    • Pedersen
    • Roberts
    • Santa Cruz
    • Derbs
    • McCarthy

Previous Meetings and Current Form

So far Rovers have played Reading 3 times in the Premier League, recording firstly a 2-1 win away followed by a 3-3 home draw last season and a 4-2 win at Ewood earlier this season. The game at the end of last season sticks in my memory as being extremely entertaining and nerve-jangling with Rovers needing a point to secure the intertotototo place. Reading came and played some great football, counter-attacking with lots of pace and threat. In-fact I reckon only Manure played better as an away team at Ewood last season.

Rovers are currently in 8th place in the league, just 1 point behind Pompey in sixth, whereas Reading sit in 15th place, 6 points clear of the relegation places. The last six games has seen both sides record 3 victories apiece - Reading against Boro, Citeh and Big-club Rovers against Notlob, Wigwam and the Barcodes, Rovers picking up a draw against Fulham too.

Reading have a poor defensive record keeping only 5 clean sheets so far in the league from 31 games played. Dave Kitson is the top scorer with 9 league goals followed by mild-mannered Stephen Hunt with 5 league goals.

History

Readings nickname is "the Royals", originating from the Royal County of Berkshire, but before it closed down they were known as "the Biscuitmen" after the factory next to Elm Park. The club was founded in 1871 although only joined the league association in 1920. Reading spent most of the next 60 years in the third and fourth divisions with the occasional venture to old second division.

Only with the investment of John Madejski and the move to the new stadium in 1998 did the club begin to grow, and under Steve Coppells guidance they gained promotion to the Premier League in 2006, winning promotion as early as March 25th and amassing a record 106 points scoring 99 league goals along the way.

Past Players

I know of few players who have played for both clubs in my lifetime (Den probs knows many, many more!), but 1 notable exception was Jimmy Quinn, who did very well for the club and eventually the big Ulsterman became their manager for a couple of seasons.

A cult hero amongst the Reading fans is Robin Friday, winner of the clubs "Player of the Millennium" award. Friday was a very skillful center-forward who scored 55 goals in 135 appearances. He became legendary for his excesses both on and off the pitch, once on rounding a goalie, he stopped , turned flicked the v's at the keeper, before rolling the ball into the unguarded net.

Another time he reputably was so annoyed at playing against Mark Lawrenson, he was sent off for kicking him in the face, but got his revenge by going to the oppositions dressing room and defecating in Lawro's bag!

Reading

The Reading supporters website Hob-Nob Anyone? contains excellent details on directions to the stadium, parking and the local public houses Hmm Beer !!!!!.

Prediction

Rovers have a decent away record this season and we always look like scoring goals, however we always like to gift the other team a goal too. Reading rarely keep a clean sheet and like to play attacking football. I predict a 2-1 win to Rovers with Roque and MGP scoring for us.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its going to be a tough game. Reading are starting to turn things around and are going to need to win a few more games to steer clear of the fight to avoid relegation.

Our away record is very good and if we play like we did against Wigan i reckon we have a good chance to take all three points.

I'm going for a 1-0 win.

baz, not a preview to be read whilst eating your supper!

Not been to the Madjeski yet but I did see all our games at Elm Park including the 4-0 thrashing which was embarassing with a capital E. We still "owe" them for that.

Reading look fast and strong going forwards but pretty porous at the back. 7,000+ mile round trips are just the ideal preparation for Jason, Benni and Roque for punishing the reading rearguard.

Don't think we will win and its either the stupid international friendlies or us signing a Paraguayan/Grenadian/South African strike force that will be to blame.

6th will have to come the hard way with points off both the red neighbours- much more satisfying than tubbing Reading anyway.

I doubt Vogel will get a run as theres been no word of international clearance yet :angry2: .

I have a horrid feeling about this game with Reading fighting for points it's definitely a game we can't look at losing but well, with past results against lower teams you just never know.

If we start positive and play attacking, confident football I think we can bury any hope Reading may have of snatching points against us. Being at the "bell-end" of the table I feel an early goal or heavy pressure from Rovers would deflate any confidence they may have at kick off. I think its important for the Rovers away fans to be in full voice as well. Reading don't have the biggest home crowds and the boys would definitely benefit with the extra voices behind them, especially against low-key opposition where the belief could be they don't have to 'get up' for such games.

Although a few people are already closing the curtain on this season I can hardly see how they can do this. Blackburn have always peaked near the end and they are doing just that this time around. We saw last week how quickly results can turn the table around, suddenly we are just a win away and it Pompey or Villa drop any points Blackburn are playing 'leapfrog'.

Get behind the team and lets be getting excited for European football next season.

CARRRRRRRRRN LADS :brfcsmilie:

Hopefully a repeat of the brilliant win we got there last season.

And how come its taking so long for vogal`s clearence.

If he was a top four club they would have got the answer the day after

The Spanish FA are notoriously shambolically disorganaised.

It is not only the Rovers who have suffered from the Spanish inability to do something in a week that it only takes the Greeks, Turks and Italians one day to do.

Any pretence by Spain to be the leading football nation on any basis is always destroyed when you look at the set-up there.

Bit worried about some of our key players' forays to distant climes his week. Hope they don't come back too knack - er - tired. Hopefully they will do the business nevertheless.

Looking forward to this game, and visiting the scene of former crimes in the shape of the greyhound track nearby ;)

(nice preview!)

I few weeks ago I would have said that this was three points in the bag. But Reading seem to have turned the corner and have won a couple of games. I still think that we can win this one, but it will be a difficult. 2-1 to Rovers.

I agree it will be a hard game because Reading are getting a bit of form together. However I feel we are a better team than them and even thought so when we drew 3 - 3 last year. We should win 2 - 1.

PS I think Steve Copull is a good manager and a good bloke. He speaks eminant sense. I have never heard him say anything stupid or pretentious and you cant say that about many premiership managers

I few weeks ago I would have said that this was three points in the bag. But Reading seem to have turned the corner and have won a couple of games. I still think that we can win this one, but it will be a difficult. 2-1 to Rovers.

which means they can afford to lose one :unsure:

i think that now reading have a turned a corner i think it is actually better for us as they are not playing every game like a cup final and they should play their normal football. it should be a game that we should win but we are playing inconsistently at the moment. Brilliant one game and mediocre another game, im gonna stump for:

2-2

(Bentley, Santa Cruz & Doyle (2))

We were garbage down there in the first half last season, but second half we were superb.

Bentley gave their RB a torrid time, skinning him for pace on a regular basis! Cracking goal too. I thought Hahneman was suspect when I saw it at the game, but it was just a great blast from DB when I later saw the slo-mo (Or should that be the other way around?)

This will be a tough game, especially with players returning from internationals with their condition unknown.

Steve Coppell has overachieved with Reading and they have some good players in Hunt and Harper.

A win here will be a massive boost towards a European finish, I think Benni will start as he causes them problems in previous encounters. I think he had about 3 goals chalked off there last season and scored 1.

Archived