BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Most Over Rated Player

Talking to the lads at work about over rated players and there are loads in the premiership sadly a few Rovers players could fall into that group, For me Reid was always over rated even before the injurys, goal at Wigan is pretty much all i can remember. Who else do you guys think, Darren Bent, Jermain Jenes, Ashley Cole, Shevchenko spring to mind

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Talking to the lads at work about over rated players and there are loads in the premiership sadly a few Rovers players could fall into that group, For me Reid was always over rated even before the injurys, goal at Wigan is pretty much all i can remember. Who else do you guys think, Darren Bent, Jermain Jenes, Ashley Cole, Shevchenko spring to mind

Steven Gerrard, John Terry, Tim Cahill, MGP, Reina - these are the first ones that came to my mind.

I disagree with your four to start with.

Darren Bents scoring record at a poor Charlton side was exceptional. He's not top class but will always score goals.

Jermain Jenas is a decent Prem midfielder. Nobody really think he's any more than he is.

Ashley Cole may well be a tool and be having a bad season but he's still a quality left back. Plays Ronaldo brilliantly every time.

Shevchenko has done little in England but when he was in Italy he was awesome.

I'd have any of the first three above in Rovers' squad. I class over-rated as being someone people think is good who you genuinely wouldn't want at your club. A couple of quick ones would be:-

Jermaine Pennant

Dirk Kuyt

Kevin Kilbane has made a good premiership career despite being useless.

The most over-rated player of my generation has to be David Beckham. Nothing against the lad who is / was a very talented midfielder with a brilliant right peg. However coming up through Man Utds youth team, the hype that followed him in the press was ridiculous. He was classed as a supestar of the English game when in reality players like Shearer and Gazza were more likely to inspire the national side and pull something special out the bag when most needed (Greece game accepted)

Owen is top quality and always has been. He has done it at every level and is even starting to look good at Newcastle now.

Paul Robinson is massively over rated. Never comes off his line.

I'm not a fan of Robbie Keane either. He just looks ordinary to me. He scores goals, and for a striker that's important, but that doesn't detract from the fact that he just looks a bit clueless.

I also think Rio Ferdinand is over rated. He makes one howler every single game and he cannot pass to save his life. He's just a bit too thick to be any good.

David Platt - that goal in 1990 made him a so called world class player and got some amazing moves abroad from it. Always thought he was indisciplined as a midffielder and very over rated.

Steve McManamann - not necessarily over rated but the luckiest player around. 3 european cups, league titles but offered very little

More recent ones, John Terry, SWP, Rooney (to the extent of his media hype), Jon Obi Mikel, Owen.

Also, i was always baffled why non Rovers fans always used to go on about how good Jason Wilcox was. I'll never understand that!

Dirk Kuyt is a great shout, he's functional at best.

Add to that Obi Mikel and Solomon Kalou at Chelsea, always thought Solskjaer was over rated too.

Bryan Robson and Coldplay get in there as well.

Oh and Totti.

Overrated or mercurial? - Francesco Totti, Zlatan Ibrahimovic - in fact, many of the 'stars' who play in Serie A.

I accept that I rarely see the above two play but whenever I do, they unequivocally defy their lofty reputations. It's bizarre that in Italy they're virtually Gods but they are pants so often when on the European stage. (Martin O'Neill opined that Ibrahimovic was the most over-rated player in Europe - or one of). [bTW: Overrated does not mean I would not love them to play for Rovers].

However, there is no doubt they do have immense talent which is evidenced by some great goals they have scored.

Overrated in England? - Aaron Mokoena/Kevin Kilbane/John Oster (to rate them is to overrate), Michael Owen (goal hanger), Gary Neville (functionality personified), Becks (ditto), Frank Lampard, Stevie Reid (sorry!), Darren Fletcher, Lucas Neill

Come to think about it, with the rampant hype which pumps through football, every player is overrated. "

I'm not a fan of Robbie Keane either. He just looks ordinary to me. He scores goals, and for a striker that's important, but that doesn't detract from the fact that he just looks a bit clueless.

Crazy. If anything I would say Keane is underrated. Scored a hatful this season, good touch, good runs. I would take him in a shot.

No way is Rooney over-rated... I don't like him, but the lad works his socks off and scores some excellent goals !

I strongly disagree, Rooney is a very good player but he isn't the messiah the english media make him out to be. The fuss they made when he was a teenager at Everton, the "White Pele" they were calling him. He goes missing in games, his international record is poor and still the media harp on about him being "Great".

Very good player? yes, Overated? definately.

Archived