BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nfl 08

Colt Brennan is an interesting one, he has put up good numbers but not against anything like NFL standard defensive schemes. I saw him in the Sugar Bowl and he was terrible. Might be a good pick in the 3rd or 4th round but he's not likely to be a starter in the NFL this side of 2010 in my opinion.

I think the most underrated QB in the Draft is Josh Johnson. Haven't seen him play, but how about this for a season? He completed 205 of 300 attempts (68.3 percent) for 2,976 yards, 42 TDs and just one interception, finishing with an astounding 197.19 passer rating. He also ran for 674 yards and two touchdowns.

I've heard people saying that he played for a division I-AA team, so the stats don't count. For some reason Flacco's stats do count even though he also played in I-AA after failing/quitting at I-A.

Brennan has just gone to the Redskins in the 6th round, competing for the back up spot to Jason Campbell. Johnson went to Tampa Bay late in the 5th round. Tampa now have more QBs than Rovers have strikers, looks like a prime example of drafting the highest player left on your draft board, rather than drafting by need. Johnson will probably be wishing he'd have gone undrafted and had the chance to sign with a franchise more suited to his development.

From Peter King: • Kansas City has had dialogue with Buffalo at No. 11 about trading up if premier left tackle Ryan Clady is still on the board.

That very well could've been an excellent call if Branden Albert hadn't still been on the board.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Ryan went to Atlanta. Will he have anyone to block for him other than Sam Baker out of USC or is he going to be seeing the likes of Osi Umenyiora hitting him a lot?

He's going to get hit a lot - and he's got no one to pass to. He had a high INT tally at BC which was attributed to a poor receiving corp - not sure ATL have really thought this one through. It's got bust written all over it.

The trade-up to get Baker was clearly borne of Ryan's selection. Ryan would appear to be a very talented guy and with Michael Vick currently missing his dogs in jail (not to mention losing his place as the franchise QB) the Falcons no doubt needed a long-term, high quality replacement. It's protecting him that is the problem.

The big four American sports - NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB - operate in the same way essentially. Trades (involving players and draft picks), signing of free agents and the draft are all used to recruit players.

Jerry Rice is 45 years old but only stopped playing in 2004! Click.

I think the Falcons HAD to take Ryan, they had no real choice. Apparently, all the scouts say he's the only QB in this draft and next that can be that top of the line QB. If they don't take a guy they can throw in their game 1 and have a chance, you are going to hear nothing but "when Vick comes back, does he start?" for 2-3 seasons.

That pick was more off the field than on. I think I'll have it tough, but then again, his OLine at BC was awful as well. He's had lots of practice with happy feet.

Jerry Rice was actually a starter for the Raiders at Superbowl 37 at the age of 40. Thankfully he and the Raiders came up short.

Regarding Free Agency and Drafts etc -

Each year in the NFL there is a period in which Free Agents (out of contract players) can negotiate and sign with teams. This year the period of free agency started on the last day in February and ends at two different dates, dependent on the type of FA.

Unrestricted Free Agents can negotiate with other teams until July 22 this year (which is supposed to tie in with the first day of training camp). Restricted Free Agents could only negotiate until April 18 this year, obviously to tie in with the Draft. This is so that teams can be allocated compensatory picks in the draft to compensate for the loss of Restricted Free Agents (I must admit I'm not 100% on how this works). The main different is that UFA's can negotiate and sign with any team, whereas RFA's can negotiate with any team, but once they agree a contract they must give their current team a chance to match it - kind of a "first refusal" scenario.

A UFA is defined as a player that has accrued 5 or more seasons on a teams Active or Injured/Reserve lists. A(n) RFA is a player that has accrued between 3 and 5 seasons. A player with less than 3 accrued season is an Exclusive Free Agent, and must resign with his current team if a contract is offered.

Hope this makes sense. I'm not completely clued up on the whole thing so apologies if I've missed anything. I don't really understand the Franchise tagging scenario, so if anyone feels like explaining that one that'd be great!

I think the Falcons HAD to take Ryan, they had no real choice. Apparently, all the scouts say he's the only QB in this draft and next that can be that top of the line QB. If they don't take a guy they can throw in their game 1 and have a chance, you are going to hear nothing but "when Vick comes back, does he start?" for 2-3 seasons.

That pick was more off the field than on. I think I'll have it tough, but then again, his OLine at BC was awful as well. He's had lots of practice with happy feet.

Brohm will be the better NFL QB.

Vick should be back for next season apparently.

His current release date is July 2009, although obviously that could change. It will be up to Goodell if he walks straight back in to the league, I'd be surprised if he was allowed to join training camp immediately.

The Broncos added a few undrafted rookie free agents Sunday night, receiving commitments from: Cherry Creek High School grad Tyler Polumbus, who started 26 games at tackle in his career at CU; Oklahoma kicker Garrett Hartley; Toledo punter Brett Kern; Houston running back Anthony Alridge, a 170-pounder who was one of the fastest players at the scouting combine with a 4.36 40-yard dash - he ran for 1,597 yards last season and caught 42 passes; Texas-El Paso wide receiver Lorne Sam; and South Dakota State guard Mitch Erickson.

The Broncos were hoping, as of Sunday night, to reach an agreement with Kentucky linebacker Wesle.y Woodyar,dont whether they did or not

Anyone know anything about the players the Seahawks have drafted? I don't watch college football therefore know next to nothing about the players being drafted.

The only one I know anything at all about is Lawrence Jackson, the DE out of USC that the Seahawks took in the first round, and that's only really what I picked up from Mayock in following the lead up to the draft. To be honest I don't think many expected him to go at that spot, I was surprised he was taken before Phillip Merling if a DE was the top priority. He's not particularly quick off the edge but did lead USC in sacks last year. He'll probably make a good starter given some time.

Can't say I know anything tangible about the rest.

I'm never convinced of any QB. Even for someone running a "pro style" offense in college, the step between college and pros in D schemes, speed, timing, how "open" receivers can get etc is all different.

All I'm saying is that the Falcons can't afford to have 2 years of Vick hanging over their head. I doubt Goddell will let vick back into the league right away, and it'd be even worse if Vick were out of jail and just waiting suspension to get back to play. I mean look at the Pacman Jones saga and how it is always int eh news, and Jones isn't even that great a player, certainly not a "franchise" name like Vick.

Ryan was a PR pick in a way that Brohm couldn't be. Besides Brohm scares me, we hasn't very capable this season, and the only thing that creally changed was he lost a coach who apparenly couldn't hack the NFL. Besides, you think Blank wanted to touch someone from Louisville after last season?

vick should have no chance of ever playing football again.

Why? Lots of Athletes have done bad stuff and played again. Vick has not only been suspended by the NFL but he's also serving his time. It makes a change from the usual leniency ultimately shown to celebrity scumbags.

bloody hell matt,what vick did was a disgrase and i would(without looking up players crimes) guess that what hes done ranks up there with the vilest.Tell me why he deserves to get the accoldaes that these sportsmen and role models get

Archived