BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread Part 3

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just feel, someone with such little experience is not what we need, especially with an unsettled squad.

Hahem, forgive me if I am mistaken but did you not back Shearer to the hilt? How much experience there?

I think the term is hypocrite, if I'm being kind.

i think all the young scoundrels you slagged off deserve an apology TDG

Yeah OK........... Remind me to do that about this time next year will you Paul?

Gotta say I have a similar feeling about this appointment as I had when they announced the England job was Maclaren's. My predictions then turned out to be remarkably accurate. His only saving grace will be if he is as good as Hughes's team at spotting players to bring in cheap.

Funny too how after the chelsea / City / Hughes scenario that nobody cares about us nicking a smaller clubs manager when there are plenty of better qualified free agents about. Dog eat Dog goes right down the line I guess.

THANK THE HEAVENS. We've dodged a bullet here. In fact - TWO bullets.

I'm not wholly convinced by Ince, but he was the best of an extraordinarily bad bunch. He'll demand respect from the outset, and will try to play football the right way. He'll maintain a Hughes-level commitment to player fitness, and will have a good range of contacts across world football.

Don't call us Sam/Steve - We'll call you........ B)

Roll on August... :)

I've been watching all of this unfold with a kind of dis-interest as none of the names on the shortlist got me excited (have to say I'm glad it's not BFS that we've approached though - I can't stand him and his archaic long-ball tactics and, although I'd love to say that I would still have got behind him, I can't be certain that I would have - oh well, glad that I'm not going to have to find out!!)

Anyway, I can't say I was best pleased with the thought of Ince, as I never thought much of him as a Utd player, but then a thought occured to me - I was over the moon when we appointed Hughes, as I'm sure were most of you. But would we all have been so happy with his appointment if he'd never played for us? What if he'd finished his playing career at Old Trafford and then become our boss? Would we have welcomed his appointment or would we have said something along the lines of "I don't want that thug anywhere near our team!"?

I believe that if we look at this appointment objectively, we'd see that Ince was probably the most 'Hughes' like candidiate that was available (except maybe Bilic - but I don't believe that he was ever a serious option) and look at how it worked out for us last time.

But then maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into seeing the positives of all this, to try and lift the black cloud that seems to have come down over all things Rovers recently. Anyone else really not bothered if the new season just never starts?? :unsure:

1. Hughes got RSC and Benny to the smallest town club in the Prem in the first place ffs Philip! Think Ince can even dream of attracting that quality of player?

2. How? I can think about it till the cows come home and I still cannot see how he will attract crowds to Ewood. I'm already considering playing in the winter league for the first time since the mid 80's!

Why would you think he can't? If he gets us off on the right foot I am SURE he can attract the players every bit as good as Sparky ever did. The REAL question here Gordon is can he unearth them like Sparky's team did, can he find the diamonds in the rough or resurrect the waning careers. Judging by what I have read he can.

Wasn't you just criticising those that spoke of not showing up for BFS or WWTB, Enjoy your footy. :D

Until now I have been shall we say lukewarm about all 3 of our shortlist candidates, but have been able to see points for and against each one. That was the position until this afternoon when I clicked on the link in post #9299 (near bottom of page 465). That was for me the clincher. For all those who are still either unsure or still dead against the appointment of Paul Ince I say: Please take the time to read this article in it's entirety. It is very long for a mag article; takes about 40 mins to read, but it is a real eye opener and very well worth the effort.

Then when you have read it, take a bit of time to think about it, and see if you still feel the same, or could it just be that this man has really got something that could be of tremendous benefit to Blackburn Rovers. I leave it to you.

I had read it Fife, after you informed me of it earlier. I was keen on Ince from the off but that did make me feel even better. Seems to me he may have had a bit of a bad rap, but hey he spoke ill of BRFC as a player when playing for a rival so let's never forget that.

Henchoz did the same thing but we got over it. I am actually excited about this appointment.

For the naysayers though Iwant to put things in perspective, I was dead set against Sparky's appoint ment, so there's my football management insight.

I started this post with the intention of saying that 13 year old kids dream has died today

Chin up, you are LIVING the dream. Dreams were of Division one football when we were foraging around in Division 2 & 3 (old) You have pretty much lived the dream I always had when I was 13. You are somewhat fortunate, Don't let go, enjoy while it remains.

Gotta say I have a similar feeling about this appointment as I had when they announced the England job was Maclaren's. My predictions then turned out to be remarkably accurate.

Gordon, everybody in the country knew what was coming with McClaren, except the FA. I do believe I stated we would not make the Euro's if we appointed him. ( one of the few I've ever got right, much to my chagrin)

Jack Walker will be turning in his grave and if you think I'm on a rant the last Bottom Division MAnager we had was......eerrrrrr...oh no...was it jim Iley? And Im not editing this post.

We've never been in the bottom division. Only the old division three, division two as it now is.

EDIT: errr.......... I mean division one as it is now - can't count.

Delighted with Ince's appointment if it goes through ( he was my first choice) but still a bit worried it might hit an unforseen snag and we end up with WWB.

Hope it's signed sealed and delivered asap. Certainly can't complain about the appointment of the last two managers, Hughes as my first choice last time and Ince this.

I'm hoping Ince brings the edge back to the side, things seemed to go a bit flat in the final two thirds of last season and I just can't see him being prepared to accept uncommitted performances.

Excited and a bit nervous at the same time as we (and him) are venturing into new territory.

Can just imagine his exchange with Bentley:

"Oi Bents! If you ******* think You're ******* going anywhere before I've had a ******* chance to take a proper ******* look at you, you're one off."

"There's a new guvnor in town now and what I say ******* well goes!"

Loving the thought of it already.

Rev, you've just inadvertently described one reason why I'm ###### myself about Ince being appointed, if he approaches any of our players with such a disrespectful tone (I do realise it was slightly tongue-in-cheek) then we're truly screwed.

He has no experience beyond League Two, he has no coaching qualifications, he's had an attitude problem throughout his career and interviews/history suggests he has very limited intelligence. Compare to that the manager who has just departed and you couldn't get a much greater contradiction.

Hate his style of play all you want, hate his connection with a local rival all you want, but Allardyce was the only man who could have taken us on another level. If it ends up being Ince I will back him until I have a proper reason not to, but my overriding feeling right now is that the 2000 idiots who signed the Facebook petition have cost us dearly.

He has no experience beyond League Two, he has no coaching qualifications, he's had an attitude problem throughout his career and interviews/history suggests he has very limited intelligence. Compare to that the manager who has just departed and you couldn't get a much greater contradiction.

Ah, but the crux is he's won more Premiership titles /medals/ England caps than wannabees like Bentley have had hot dinners.

Does that not entitle him to chuck his weight round with the players a bit? (when necessary of course).

Ah, but the crux is he's won more Premiership titles /medals/ England caps than wannabees like Bentley have had hot dinners.

Does that not entitle him to chuck his weight round with the players a bit? (when necessary of course).

Not if they get to find out about his comments during his time at Inter, how can he question anyone who wishes to leave Rovers for a 'bigger' club?

His achievements as a player might hold some weight for a couple of weeks if he's lucky, after that he'll have to stand on his managerial ability alone. Just ask Bryan Robson etc etc.

Not if they get to find out about his comments during his time at Inter, how can he question anyone who wishes to leave Rovers for a 'bigger' club?

His achievements as a player might hold some weight for a couple of weeks if he's lucky, after that he'll have to stand on his managerial ability alone. Just ask Bryan Robson etc etc.

Certain players might be narked at Sparky if he preached loyalty to them then buggered off himself but that or comments made 10 -12 years ago can't really be held against Ince if he has commited himself to a contract at the club for x number of years etc.

That's the thing, he was a better player than anyone we have on the books. I'm impressed he was able to go down to Lg2, where I imagine he could still turn out and be one of the best players on the pitch, and keep his cool. It often happens with ex-players coaching footballers less technically gifted than they were; they struggle to succeed and adapt to the limitations of their playing staff.

I'm reasonably happy with the appointment of Ince. I think he'll try to build something and I think he's calmed down a lot over the years and has shown a great attitude since going into management.

There is a concern or 2 though:

We had the best qualified coaching staff in the Premier League until last month and it's essential we appoint a good backroom staff to assist an inexperienced manager. I am hoping for more than Ray Mathias as I can't see him offering anything to top level players.

I think we have to lower our expectations for the season and give Ince our SUPPORT. Forget about a stupid comment he made 10 years ago and think about what he has been doing in recent years and the fact that he's now our manager. We have all said stupid things in the past.

Bear in mind, we may have to go backwards before we can go forwards again...

i actually think he will be a really good manager for us. he has a big reputation and can ATTRACT players unlike what people has been saying also he has calmed down alot since becoming manager. he is another one of fergie's pupils so i expect basically the same method as sparky in managing.

come on incey! at least we didnt get mcclown or fatty sammy

Lets not get to carried away here.

Rovers have only asked for permission to speak to Ince. Remember they have interviewed Big Sam and The Umbrella Man, and why would John Williams jet off to Europe.

Has the official board suggested anything about Rovers asking permission of MK Dons. This story appears to have come from one source and after recent cut and paste newspaper articles, could it be a wined up. :rolleyes:

Lets not get to carried away here.

Rovers have only asked for permission to speak to Ince. Remember they have interviewed Big Sam and The Umbrella Man, and why would John Williams jet off to Europe.

Has the official board suggested anything about Rovers asking permission of MK Dons. This story appears to have come from one source and after recent cut and paste newspaper articles, could it be a wined up. :rolleyes:

I would have thought that there must have been informal discussions, with Winkleman realistic enough that he would not be able to refuse Ince this massive opportunity should matters develop?

As BFS, WWB and HTC did not have such restraints, there would have been less need for discretion.

Sounds to me like Winkleman, Ince and the Board have reached the point now of crunching financial bones prior to reaching a full agreement.

Delighted with Ince's appointment if it goes through ( he was my first choice) but still a bit worried it might hit an unforseen snag and we end up with WWB.

Hope it's signed sealed and delivered asap. Certainly can't complain about the appointment of the last two managers, Hughes as my first choice last time and Ince this.

I'm hoping Ince brings the edge back to the side, things seemed to go a bit flat in the final two thirds of last season and I just can't see him being prepared to accept uncommitted performances.

Excited and a bit nervous at the same time as we (and him) are venturing into new territory.

Can just imagine his exchange with Bentley:

"Oi Bents! If you ******* think You're ******* going anywhere before I've had a ******* chance to take a proper ******* look at you, you're one off."

"There's a new guvnor in town now and what I say ******* well goes!"

Loving the thought of it already.

The Bentley boy would say, (Please don't use that word again) you!

:lol:

Rev, you've just inadvertently described one reason why I'm ###### myself about Ince being appointed, if he approaches any of our players with such a disrespectful tone (I do realise it was slightly tongue-in-cheek) then we're truly screwed.

Oh come on...do you really think he would do that? Based on what? Comments he made when he was a much younger man? Ince now is - according to reports - not the same man when he was an arrogant little twerp playing for United. Besides...he can talk to Bentley any which way he likes...it won´t change anything. Bentley is off...the only way he will stay is if he cannot get any offers at all. Like Hughes the booby prize for him is staying at Ewood unfortunately for us. What is wrong with being disrespecful to players who have been disrespectful to the club? Should we just thank them for condescending to be at Rovers? I have enough regard for JW to believe he would appoint someone who would not be such a klutz with players. Even Souness seem to be more tactful during his first few (successful) years...

Give Ince a chance. Appearances suggest that he is a very different man to the cocky youth in the mid-90s. People do mature and it seems Ince is no different.

Fair enough about the experience...that is a worry. Qualifications less so...they can be attained ón the job´. No it is not perfect but then we are not in a perfect situation.

Interviews and history do not suggest he "has very limited intelligence". Not the ones I have read. That sounds very condescending of you there LeChuck I´m sorry to say as I usually like your reasons for your ideas even when I disagree with you. What grounds do you have for that dismissal of another person as being so inferior? While Acknowledging that like most footballers he is no Wordsworth but then neither is Ferguson for that matter. As for the "contradiction"...Hughes spoke well enough in our defence but he was hardly Wenger was he? Or even Ian Dowie who has a doctorate yet is a far poorer manager. Come on this ridiculous and based on dislike for Ince. I am not a big fan of Ince myself but attcking his intelligence based on hearsay, guesswork and supposedly a few interviews is not fair now is it?

Hate his style of play all you want, hate his connection with a local rival all you want, but Allardyce was the only man who could have taken us on another level. If it ends up being Ince I will back him until I have a proper reason not to, but my overriding feeling right now is that the 2000 idiots who signed the Facebook petition have cost us dearly.

We have finished in the top ten in the previous three years...how much farther than before can we progress? Whoever comes in will at best be able to tread water. My preferred option of those available was and remains BFS but let´s be realistic about this and acknowledge that maintaining the status quo is probably the best we can hope. Three top ten finishes in a row is our best performance since the loadsamoney 1993-1996 seasons. The year before that when we completed three top ten finishes in a row was 1931. We are at the highest level we can be at the moment. It will tough to be top 10 next year whoever we appoint...and no chance of "another level" at all with the cash we seem to have...

Archived