BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread Part 3

Give Ince a chance, I welcome his appointment, he wasn't my first choice I admit, but out of the 'three candidates' he was my preffered choice.

When we signed Santa Cruz there were many members critising him, saying he would be no good, making negative comments. He proved succesful didn't he? Slightly different comparing a player & a manager I know, but be positive & give him support.

Trust in JW, looking forward to the new season now.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Until now I have been shall we say lukewarm about all 3 of our shortlist candidates, but have been able to see points for and against each one. That was the position until this afternoon when I clicked on the link in post #9299 (near bottom of page 465). That was for me the clincher. For all those who are still either unsure or still dead against the appointment of Paul Ince I say: Please take the time to read this article in it's entirety. It is very long for a mag article; takes about 40 mins to read, but it is a real eye opener and very well worth the effort.

Then when you have read it, take a bit of time to think about it, and see if you still feel the same, or could it just be that this man has really got something that could be of tremendous benefit to Blackburn Rovers. I leave it to you.

Said Ince article

Me too, I was wanting Ince if we could not get a sexy name in, which it seems we never really wanted to. The thing that confuses me is the overwhelming support for a Shearer how has NO experience and the level of disdain for Ince who at least has some proven track record. I think INce will be really good.

And to make you all so much more comfortable, I also thought that Sparky was about the worst appointment the club could make at the time. So be afraid, be very afraid. :D

Darn, I was hoping you'd hate him!!

Then again, maybe you learned your lesson about not wanting a manager with little experience.

Reading this, had a slight change of mind about Ince. Doesn't seem as bad.

This is a very interesting article which I suggest every rovers supporter on here should read. If Ince really is appointed as the Rovers manager, then I think the board have done a very shrewd thing. I am certainly warming to the idea of Ince being the next manager of Rovers.

From the Ince Profile.

Management Style

The contrast between Paul Ince the player (Guv’nor) – arrogant, forever haranguing the reserve players, swearing at team-mates, always up for the first tackle and delighting in the crunch of jaunty bones – and Paul Ince the manager (Governor) could hardly be more marked. About the only thing that remains undeterred is Ince’s fierce desire to win; otherwise, gone is the stubborn combativeness, replaced with a cool and collected manner, a self-effacing humility, and a faith in players, and indeed in human beings, that suggests a significant maturational process on the part of the ex-United captain.

Brilliant article! I will go to sleep thinking he's the "next Mark Hughes" now, probably waking up to a ######-taking-ly poor manager in eight months. Was hoping for Ten Cate, and then Beenhacker, but would rather have Ince than the others (maybe Martinez excluded because he's relatively unknown, ANOTHER ex-player?)

Anyway.. Let's hope we can wrap this up, sell David Bentley, keep the others and bring in three or four great players to our already good team. Just sick of this period after Sparky leaving, whatever they choose will be fine by me for a month or so.

I'm starting to cool a little after the instant shock of "Paul Ince"?!!!??? :(

Very good points raised in Hughesy's post above, the man is very well spoken in his post match interviews and I'm now actually looking forward to the season ahead :)

I just hope things don't go tits up :S

Onwards and upwards boys and girls.

New manager in, Prima-dona out (Bentley £15m) - 3 or 4 class players in.

BLUE ARMY!!

How many times Hughesy have you got to be told that at most 75% of the headline transfer fee which supposedly comes to the club is actually available for spending?

That %age drops if there is a sell-on clause.

In 1993, a 13 year old Dublin lad chose a team to support. Would he go with his 2 older brothers & what seemed like half the world & support the famous Manchester united? What about the European heavywieghts from mersey side? Or the Birmingham club which contained some many of his countrymen?

Always wanting to be unique he decided upon a small town club with huge ambitions harboured by its new owner, Jack Walker. A club who he saw character in, the character that he would encorporate into his own personality & try live by the moto 'Arte et labore'. That club is Blackburn Rovers FC.

Success has come at a cost for Rovers & i have ridden every wave, the championship win, Dalglaish & more heartbreaking, Shearers departure, the moscow bustup, Martin Dahlin signs! wilcox on the wing, Ericson accepts, Ericsson declines, 7-2 over Wedensday, Hoddle hates sutton, 7.5mil for davies, Transfer deadline day, will we sign sol campbell? Na, lets have christian dailly!! the scoreless draw at home to Manchester United, Relegation, Darren Peacock, loosing to huddersfield town the first day of the season in the new league, Kidd sacked, souness arrives ....not that as***le!?! Duff, Dunn, 5 irish players in the first team, Supper Matty Jansen, Preston North end, PROMOTION!!!!!!! 8 million for andy cole, millenium stadium underdogs, mark hughes bosses the midfield, Is Jansen going to the world cup? yep, in a wheel chair! Grabbi, Ostenstads law degree, John Stead, pre-season at bray wanderers, Chop Souey? Hughes for manager!!!!! 4-0 to boro, 4-0 to chelsea ......SURVIVAL!!! Craig bellamy, benni macarthy, roque santa cruz, Bentleys hattrick, winning in europe, knowing hughes is going to leave for a bigger club someday!!

I may not even be in the same country as the club i support & dont get to see them as much as i want but i have cried every tear & roared every cheer.

I started this post with the intention of saying that 13 year old kids dream has died today but having remembered all those ups, downs & mediocroty .....Im feeling optomistic, I have just listed some of my lifes overwhelming memories & I wouldnt change one of them. This club will no doubt have more downs but you can only savour the sweet when you have tasted the bitter.

So, Paul Ince is going to be the new manager? mmmmm?? theres only one thing left to do....... strap myself in, put my hands in the air & Sing 'Paul Inces Blue & White Army!!!!'

COME ON YOU ROVERS!!!!

In 1993, a 13 year old Dublin lad chose a team to support. Would he go with his 2 older brothers & what seemed like half the world & support the famous Manchester united? What about the European heavywieghts from mersey side? Or the Birmingham club which contained some many of his countrymen?

Always wanting to be unique he decided upon a small town club with huge ambitions harboured by its new owner, Jack Walker. A club who he saw character in, the character that he would encorporate into his own personality & try live by the moto 'Arte et labore'. That club is Blackburn Rovers FC.

Success has come at a cost for Rovers & i have ridden every wave, the championship win, Dalglaish & more heartbreaking, Shearers departure, the moscow bustup, Martin Dahlin signs! wilcox on the wing, Ericson accepts, Ericsson declines, 7-2 over Wedensday, Hoddle hates sutton, 7.5mil for davies, Transfer deadline day, will we sign sol campbell? Na, lets have christian dailly!! the scoreless draw at home to Manchester United, Relegation, Darren Peacock, loosing to huddersfield town the first day of the season in the new league, Kidd sacked, souness arrives ....not that as***le!?! Duff, Dunn, 5 irish players in the first team, Supper Matty Jansen, Preston North end, PROMOTION!!!!!!! 8 million for andy cole, millenium stadium underdogs, mark hughes bosses the midfield, Is Jansen going to the world cup? yep, in a wheel chair! Grabbi, Ostenstads law degree, John Stead, pre-season at bray wanderers, Chop Souey? Hughes for manager!!!!! 4-0 to boro, 4-0 to chelsea ......SURVIVAL!!! Craig bellamy, benni macarthy, roque santa cruz, Bentleys hattrick, winning in europe, knowing hughes is going to leave for a bigger club someday!!

I may not even be in the same country as the club i support & dont get to see them as much as i want but i have cried every tear & roared every cheer.

I started this post with the intention of saying that 13 year old kids dream has died today but having remembered all those ups, downs & mediocroty .....Im feeling optomistic, I have just listed some of my lifes overwhelming memories & I wouldnt change one of them. This club will no doubt have more downs but you can only savour the sweet when you have tasted the bitter.

So, Paul Ince is going to be the new manager? mmmmm?? theres only one thing left to do....... strap myself in, put my hands in the air & Sing 'Paul Inces Blue & White Army!!!!'

COME ON YOU ROVERS!!!!

Great post mate, hopefully see you at a game!

COME ON YOU ROVERS!!!!

Excellent post Benni! I know just how you feel including the frustration of having to support from afar. Still I am expecting to get down to Ewood for at least 3 or 4 games this next season (cant wait for the new season to get going) and in the meantime there is always good old BRFCS which makes you feel like you're still in amongst your friends and suporters.

Paul Ince

I wish I was a betting man now - I wonder what odds I would have got back then when I posted this in the Summer Moves thread.

Delighted with the appointment, if indeed it turns out to be true. I've said all along that if we can't have a top manager who has respect for his managerial achievements (and we can't), then we need an up-and-comer who has respect for his playing achievements, and Ince fits the bill.

Bit worried about the backroom team but I've been worried about this for a while now, ever since Hughes loaded the club up with the Taffia: it was a problem waiting to happen. It's a tall bill for anyone coming in to have four or five top-notch hangers-on already in tow, so, as Ince clearly won't have that many at MKD, I wonder if he'll surprise us with who he recruits.

Looking forwards to the next chapter in our glorious history, and well said Iamrover a few pages back

Mein Gott there are some miserable buggers on here!

I simply can't believe some people are suggesting that we might get relegated. Last year, Bolton, with their one dimensional squad of players without half the talent of ours, stayed up using a combination of the manegerial genius of Sammy Lee and Gary Megson.

How could we possibly do worse than them?

At worst we are a decent side.

How many times have decent sides in top flight football lost more three, four, five or six first team players, that they wanted to keep, in one off season?

How many of said players had multiple years left on their contracts?

How many teams with first choice Dutch international defenders on their bench get relegated?

Jesus H Christ on a bike and the heavenly chorus, why, in the absense of solid evidence pointing in either direction (and lets face it, when is a managerial appointment anything but a crapshoot) why not be optimistic rather than pessimistic?

If you look at clubs that do well relative to their expectations and compare them to clubs that underachieve the only discernable pattern to me is that good clubs have stability and poor lack it. A few players or one manager doesn't make a club. I'm happy that John Williams wants stability and whomever he choses will get the time to bring it.

As for Ince. His being an unknown quality as a manager is a positive attribute for me. He has the playing pedigree that will force players to at least respect him until they have sized him up. His obvious will to win will hopefully do the rest.

I think the term is hypocrite, if I'm being kind.

i think all the young scoundrels you slagged off deserve an apology TDG

It's quite alright, we're too busy knowing-nowt to keep up with the overflowing hypocrisy and flip-flop of positions to be bothered about real issues and fickle older-type men.

Archived