BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] English Refs

Hopefully correct link now- Avram Grant has come out and described refs Bennet and Dean as influencable, particularly by the Mancs. Certainly my reaction to the appointment of Bennet to the Wigan v Manc game was that the battle on the final day of the season had lost all interest- just knew the Mancs would win under his guidance.

However, my overall view is that there has been a marked improvement in refereeing standards in the Prem this season and there have been far fewer games where I've ended up feeling it was a ref show.

I think Howard Webb has regressed (very full of himself) but several others, notably Uriah Rennie, have improved markedly.

• 4 weeks later...
His decision today, what do you lot make of it. Personally feel it was a penalty the guy was all over him.

A top class referee Webb, spot on with the penalty decision, made me sick though listening to Shearer trying to put up an excuse that pulling and shoving is exceptable .

The refs have been told to stamp out all this shirt pulling, blocking, holding, pinching etc in the box so imo he did make the right decision.

However his assistant should of flagged the Poland goal offside.

When you watched it live first time round did you say to yourself 'offside' or was it only when the pundits replayed it in slow motion that you agreed with the pundits.

You go off your first judgement thats what the assistant referee had, no replays for him, plus from his angle the goalkeeeper was hindering his crosspitch view.

A top class referee Webb, spot on with the penalty decision, made me sick though listening to Shearer trying to put up an excuse that pulling and shoving is exceptable .

It Is! You just make sure you don't get caught.

For a defender the first thing you are doing when marking is sticking your hands out to keep tabs on the attacking player, if you can get some shirt and the ref doesn't see it then fair cop in my book. The pros do it and so does everyone else who plays competative football against people they don't know.

Sorry back on topic Webb was good tonight but lets face it he couldn't have been much worse then the last English ref to work at a major championship.

It Is! You just make sure you don't get caught.

For a defender the first thing you are doing when marking is sticking your hands out to keep tabs on the attacking player, if you can get some shirt and the ref doesn't see it then fair cop in my book. The pros do it and so does everyone else who plays competative football against people they don't know.

Sorry back on topic Webb was good tonight but lets face it he couldn't have been much worse then the last English ref to work at a major championship.

The silly Polish defender was at the front of the pack in clear view of the referee, maybe if hed have been in the middle or back of the group then he might have got away with it.

When you watched it live first time round did you say to yourself 'offside' or was it only when the pundits replayed it in slow motion that you agreed with the pundits.

You go off your first judgement thats what the assistant referee had, no replays for him, plus from his angle the goalkeeeper was hindering his crosspitch view.

When I first seen the goal I thought it was onside as the defender was between the scorer and the goal when he stroked it home from the tv cameras. It was difficult for the assistant even though he had inline vision of the incident , like you say as the keeper was hindering his view and you have to give the attacker the benefit of the doubt. I'm not calling for video decisions etc because i feel it would ruin the game but it has to go down as the wrong call with the evidence.

...... if you can get some shirt and the ref doesn't see it then fair cop in my book.....

So Santa Cruz is running through, he's in the box and the defender pulls him back by the shirt. Whilst the Bburn End all see it, the ref isn't sure and doesn't award a penalty. That's ok in your book?

It's gaining an unfair advantage, against the laws of the game and put another way, cheating.

Yep, needs to be stamped down on. Problem is that it isn't being done across the board and that will make those who are caught feel unlucky rather than in the wrong and we won't see it stop. In their heads the officials will be saying "if I give this one I'll give 10 today". Well then give 10, it would make for a great game. Footballers will stop once they see they are being punished regularly, until then it will keep going.

So Santa Cruz is running through, he's in the box and the defender pulls him back by the shirt. Whilst the Bburn End all see it, the ref isn't sure and doesn't award a penalty. That's ok in your book?

It's gaining an unfair advantage, against the laws of the game and put another way, cheating.

I totally agree with you. Refs need to be seeing this stuff.

But ( there is always a but)

Its only cheating if you get caught.

My Book reads like this tho

Yes its ok because it is part of the game and anyone who thinks othewise is trying to live in a perfect football world where shirt pulling does not happen. Lets face it its not the worst thing players get up to.

No its not ok because your talking about a rovers player and I would be going crazy.

Yes its ok because it is part of the game and anyone who thinks othewise is trying to live in a perfect football world where shirt pulling does not happen. Lets face it its not the worst thing players get up to.

No its not ok because your talking about a rovers player and I would be going crazy.

I think the worst thing that can happen is that people see it as acceptable providing you don't get caught. Goes for football and life in general. It isn't acceptable and you should not do it. End of.

I think the worst thing that can happen is that people see it as acceptable providing you don't get caught. Goes for football and life in general. It isn't acceptable and you should not do it. End of.
I've never agreed with anything on a message board more. Whatever happened to sportsmanship.

What a world we would live in if we followed your book. Sounds like complete anarchy to me...

The Police need to be seeing this stuff.

It's only illegal if you get caught.

Assaulting people/robbing banks etc is part of life and anyone who think otherwise is living in a perfect world where assaults/bank robberies do not happen.

How many times do you think we will have a penalty awarded against us for shirt pulling next season?

Less than Man Utd?

This will be another good rule to screw the smaller clubs

Very true!

I have been impressed with the referreeing at the Euro's. Van Horse's goal was correct, but no-one knew it at the time. Webb was right too, they'd been at it for a while. There hasn't been much diving and crybaby antics so far either. Ballack was a bit of a t!t yesterday though.

What a world we would live in if we followed your book. Sounds like complete anarchy to me...

The Police need to be seeing this stuff.

It's only illegal if you get caught.

Assaulting people/robbing banks etc is part of life and anyone who think otherwise is living in a perfect world where assaults/bank robberies do not happen.

I know, its not even a very good book...certainley not Bravo 2 Zero by Andy Mcnab. Which actually improves with every read.

Come on its a game of football.

I am sorry I am not as sportsman like as everyone else but if I am up against a left winger who is faster than me on a Saturday morning then I'll have his shirt.

I won't even start with the old standing on toes trick.

You know when you see refs stop the game on a corner and point at people in the middle of the area? He's telling them to stop elbowing and shoving people. Its part of the game and will not change.

Excellent refereeing last night to reverse his sending off decision after consultation with his linesman. Given that we have the richest league in world football why dont we just 'buy' the best refs and bring em here? The best players from all over the world come here for money why not referees?

Excellent refereeing last night to reverse his sending off decision after consultation with his linesman. Given that we have the richest league in world football why dont we just 'buy' the best refs and bring em here? The best players from all over the world come here for money why not referees?

Your'e implying more money goes out of the country to others whilst we all look on, we must try and reverse the process and develop better English players, better officials etc., for the future.

Maybe the people involved in developing these skills need to be looked at closely along with the recruitment side of things.

I'd say why not send our officials abroad to gain valuable experience in other countries, that would seems more beneficial for our national game though you'd probably struggle to get other nations willing to participate.

Just a thought.

Archived