BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Euro 2008

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arda looks a terrific footballer. Should get Tugay on the phone to him.

It's a shame the Turks will have such a depleted side for the semi final. The way cards are dished out these days, a suspension for two bookings in a tournament is absurd really.

Arda looks a terrific footballer. Should get Tugay on the phone to him.

It's a shame the Turks will have such a depleted side for the semi final. The way cards are dished out these days, a suspension for two bookings in a tournament is absurd really.

I agree Arda has been top class, his name is the kind you wanted when we were brandished the bully boys.

I know there are more games in the world cup but i believe they wipe the slate clean on the card count after the group games.

The suspensions may cost Turkey but I don't think anybody would be surprised if they pulled it out of the bag again after all their antics this tournament. To win an international competition in recent years, it's more of a squad achievement rather than a team which is why it is so important to take the best 23 players with you.

My two favourite teams from Euro 2008 have gone out over the last two nights. I thought that Germany played very well in the first half and their first goal was class. Portugal's defending for the two goals from the set pieces was woeful, but I thought that Ballack pushed Ferraria in the back. Some of Portugal's football was brilliant to watch and Deco was the best player on the pitch. I wanted them to go on and win the tournament and I'm disappointed that they were beaten.

I was sorry for the Croats last night. They have been one of the best teams in the competition and don't get the recognition they deserve because their players aren't superstars. They should have won and I think that they will feel hard done by, with the time keeping at the end. Ivan Klasnic looked as good as I thought he was and I think that if he had more time on the field they would have won.

Great piece of officiating there. Well, apart from giving him the yellow in the first place.

A few more decisions like that might lead to players actually giving the men in black a spot of respect. Not as quickly as bookings for anyone but the captain talking too them but still.

Guest Kamy100

What a funny game football is.

The three form teams from the group stages (Portugal, Croatia and Holland) are all out. What's the betting that the Spanish fall tomorrow!!

What a funny game football is.

The three form teams from the group stages (Portugal, Croatia and Holland) are all out. What's the betting that the Spanish fall tomorrow!!

As waggy pointed out in a previous post, all these teams rested players and it seems to have backfired

I think that the teams that rested players may well have been affected. They seem to have lost the momentum that they had built up with the series of impressive performances that they had put together. The Russians last night were exceptional. That really was one the of the best performances I've seen for a long time. The Dutch just couldn't live with the movement, pace, technique and attacking ability of the Russians. The likes of Zhirkov, Arshavin, Pavluchenko and Bilyaletdinov were just brilliant and they should have won by a lot more. That would be the one concern that I have about the Russians, they waste a number of chances before scoring. Ever since the first game they have improved from game to game and have looked stronger at the back. They should give the Spanish or the Italians a real game and could well make it to the final on this form.

If the Russians could match their skill and creativity in the last third with composure, they can win this tourney. However, I suspect Germany will grind out two victories to lift the trophy.

What baffled me about the Dutch yesterday is what their midfield was doing. Especially, in the second half and in extra time, the Dutch midfield seemed to give up on defending, leaving it to the defence to deny the Russian onslaughts. It was just bizarre to watch because the Russians were creating chances at will.

The Dutch changed their tactics to deal with the Russian threat- they pushed the defence up to play a higher line and squeezed space out of midfield. Ooijer who had been so commanding in the French and Italian victories looked a bit lost in the system and to be honest the Russians nearly made the same mistake as they did against Spain in playing slow measured football for much of normal time.

However, they totally nullified Kuyt who had been superb for the Dutch and the Dutch played Engelaard who again proved to be a sub-standard midfielder but not as dreadful as he was against Italy when he got subbed at half-time. Van Basten played Van Percy for too long and missed a track by not calling Robben into the action when the Dutch were crying out for someone to run at the Russian defense and stretch them a bit.

Anyone spot Ooijer's open goal miss at the end of the first half? The ball went past him at pace two yards out from an unguarded net and he couldn't push his foot out at it- it was only a few inches in front of his right boot at one point.

0-0 so far. So do we want the team with a few pretty players and a prettyish manager to beat the team with a few pretty players and an old manager?

I miss Paolo Maldini...................Sigh

0-0 so far. So do we want the team with a few pretty players and a prettyish manager to beat the team with a few pretty players and an old manager?

I miss Paolo Maldini...................Sigh

and us men are shallow at beach volleyball :P

The Dutch changed their tactics to deal with the Russian threat- they pushed the defence up to play a higher line and squeezed space out of midfield. Ooijer who had been so commanding in the French and Italian victories looked a bit lost in the system and to be honest the Russians nearly made the same mistake as they did against Spain in playing slow measured football for much of normal time.

Arguably, Van Basten's dogma cost his team. The Dutch were playing rubbish, nothing was working - in such circumstances the only thing to do, and the thing the best teams do, is regroup and defend for their lives. Forget about trying to get your normal game going, just defend - and hope for a break.

Instead, Van Basten allowed Van Persie on the right wing/forward and Afellay on the left to pee about leaving the side woefully weak on the flanks. Van Persie was just a waste of space, providing no attacking threat and no defensive cover. Ultimately, Van Basten left too many players upfield when what he had to do was revert to a defensive 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 and try to drag it out to penalties.

It almost seemed like the Dutch didn't want to lose possession. They would get the ball into the final 3rd and do nothing with it, almost like a shot would just give Russia the ball.

Does that make England officially the worst team at Penalties now after Spain's victory?

We were the worst before last night´s game with Spain being our nearest rivals...now we are by far and away the worst!

I think we have won one penalty shootout and lost five whereas Spain have won two and lost four.

Archived