BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Rovers Manager

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's being widely reported today that McClaren wants the Rovers job.

Been a Rovers supporter for 35 years.If McClaren walks through the door at Ewood then I can be regarded as no longer a

supporter.Season ticket sales would be the worst since we joined the premiership.We would probably lose 5,000 off home gates.

McClaren is wrong very wrong for Ewood.Do not allow this to happen its up to us the supporters.

if some of you have a chip because [shearer] left you then you need to get over it, he gave you a lot so that is what you should remember him for, not that he left.

Stop drivelling. No-one here has a chip because Shearer left us to go and play at the club he supported all his life. We might have disliked him had he decided to join ManYoo but his decision to go play for you (despite the fact that his prospects of ever winning anything would be halved) was thoroughly understood and that's why he always got a round of applause when he returned to Ewood with Newcastle. What you don't get is that we believe we are a relatively successful (small granted but that is not a measure of success) with a great chairman and very stable environment which therefore means we should be able to entice a manager with at least five minutes of previous experience rather than gambling on someone who fails to show any tactical awareness even on MOTD.

Some of us are getting far too carried away with Hen Cate (without really knowing much about him). Yes, he has had success as a right hand man when at Barca.

However, he has a tarnished reputation within Holland.

I think sometimes you can gauge a good opinion from the majority of fans at clubs, and Ajax fans are not very complimentary on him or his style of management. If rumours are to be believed half the Ajax squad were not happy when Cate was manager there. In addition, at Chelsea, where he was just a coach, few players had much time for him because of his personality. On the face of it he does have good pedigree as a coach but I am not overly convinced by him to be our next manager at this stage.

Again with Advocaat, he did have some success but spent a lot of money which nearly ruined the club. He also made some horrendous buys and like Cate, is not known as a great man manager.

I just think it is a pretty bad bunch out there to pick from. Out of the names linked with us strongly, I am still not sure who I would go for.

Some of us are getting far too carried away with Hen Cate (without really knowing much about him). Yes, he has success as a right hand man when at Barca. However, he has a tarnished reputation within Holland.

I think sometimes you can gauge a good opinion from the majority of fans at clubs, and Ajax fans are not very complimentary on him or his style of management. If rumours are to be believed half the Ajax squad were not happy when Cate was managed. In addition, at Chelsea, where he was just a coach, few players had much time for him because of his personality. On the face of it he does have good pedigree as a coach but I am not overly convinced by him to be our next manager at this stage.

Again with Advocaat, he did have some success but spent a lot of money which nearly ruined the club. He also made some horrendous buys and like Cate, is not known as a great man manager.

I just think it is a pretty bad bunch out there to pick from. Out of the names linked with us strongly, I am still not sure who I would go for.

I'm fairly sure Ajax were very happy with him, Chelsea nicked him from them, he didnt get sacked or anything. And it probably doesnt take much to get up the noses of the primadonnas at Chelsea.

Michael Laudrup is also interested who for me would be a perfect fit, and Advocaat has had numerous successful jobs around the world.

Those are three good candidates, all your posts recently have been unnecessarily bleak. Remember in Hughes we were appointing a man who had just done a good job with Wales but hadnt managed a club before, that was a bit of a risk.

We're not going to get a nailed on, Mourinho styled man who is guaranteed to take us to success. But there are candidates out there with very good records and potentially lots of contacts within the world of football to take us forward and attract new talent to Ewood Park.

I am just being realistic and fear that if we cannot get someone decent in, we will lose our better players and as a club go backwards.

At Ajax, things didn't go that great for Cate. There was plently rumours of him being far too abrasive with most of the playing squad there. He upset a lot of people.

Some of us are getting far too carried away with Hen Cate (without really knowing much about him). Yes, he has had success as a right hand man when at Barca.

However, he has a tarnished reputation within Holland.

I think sometimes you can gauge a good opinion from the majority of fans at clubs, and Ajax fans are not very complimentary on him or his style of management. If rumours are to be believed half the Ajax squad were not happy when Cate was manager there. In addition, at Chelsea, where he was just a coach, few players had much time for him because of his personality. On the face of it he does have good pedigree as a coach but I am not overly convinced by him to be our next manager at this stage.

Good post John.

Ten Cate has a reputation as a very poor man manager and his only real success came as an asistant manager at Barcelona.

I have never been a fan of Advocaat, (too old anyway?) although I accept Zenit look quite tasty at the moment.

There's no evidence whatsoever that Laudrup is interested in the post other than philip finding an obscure internet reference.

So despite all these supposedly mouthwatering foreign names that have been mooted, I don't think the list is as promising as philip is making out.

The Shearer debate is causing ridiculous opposite poles of opininion. The pro camp think he's bound to succeed simply because he was a great player for us, the anti camp can't even accept the possibility that surrounded by experienced staff it could be an inspired appointment. I think on balance it might be too much of a risk and think it is probably all hypothetical because at best I think he'd listen to us and politely turn us down. I'd rather chance it than a lot of the other options put forward though.

Still can't see past Ince (or Bilic if he was interested) myself.

One advantage for Ince is that psychologically even a limited budget by Premiership standards will seem like a fortune to him compared to what he has been used to. If he can bring the same drive and enthusiasm to management here that he had as a player, I think he could drive us onward and upwards with fewer below par performances.

The Shearer debate is causing ridiculous opposite poles of opininion. The pro camp think he's bound to succeed simply because he was a great player for us, the anti camp can't even accept the possibility that surrounded by experienced staff it could be an inspired appointment. I think on balance it might be too much of a risk and think it is probably all hypothetical because at best I think he'd listen to us and politely turn us down. I'd rather chance it than a lot of the other options put forward though.

By and large I think I'm in the "anti camp" but will readily admit that I'd rather take a chance on Shearer than give Allardyce or McClaren an opportunity to resurrect their careers.

Good post John.

Ten Cate has a reputation as a very poor man manager and his only real success came as an asistant manager at Barcelona.

I have never been a fan of Advocaat, (too old anyway?) although I accept Zenit look quite tasty at the moment.

There's no evidence whatsoever that Laudrup is interested in the post other than philip finding an obscure internet reference.

So despite all these supposedly mouthwatering foreign names that have been mooted, I don't think the list is as promising as philip is making out.

Still can't see past Ince (or Bilic if he was interested) myself.

One advantage for Ince is that psychologically even a limited budget by Premiership standards will seem like a fortune to him compared to what he has been used to. If he can bring the same drive and enthusiasm to management here that he had as a player, I think he could drive us onward and upwards with fewer below par performances.

Good points raised, but then I guarantee a counter-arguement regarding Ince. You mention a Premiership budget would seem like a fortune to him, with being used to buying budget players would this not mean these are the type of players he would naturally look for??

Idea of Shearer is being swayed towards me just because of the lift it would give the club right now

I've just spotted Alan Shearer.

He is in the MOTD Studio, I doubt they mention any rovers links.

I'm a little dubious, I think it's all a conspiracy. UEFA moved the game forward top earlier this morning so Shearer could cover it for BBC then fly to Ewood and start negotiations with JW.

Hi all,

for me it would come down to 3 candidates who I believe could continue the good work MH has done and move this club forward

1. Tenk Cate

2. D.Advocaate

3. Ince/Shearer as no.2

the first 2 as they have experience would love it if it were advocaate as he would probably go for Arshavin and T.Cate as he has the experience of leading Ajax far I am sure I heard somewhere he did ok with Ajax has good contacts from all over might be in with a chance of getting Huntelaar eventuallybut would only go for Ince/Shearer if the first 2 fell through altho have to say Ince jobs with MK dons and Macclesfield have been miraculous but with no experience of managing in any of the top leagues in the world would be a gamble

Laters all.

Shearer's career has involved problems with other players. He has no experience and I would have preferred him to have knuckled down to do his coaching badges if he was serious. As said, great players don't generally make great managers. It seems Shearer's nomination is a cocktail of nostalgia and euphoria.

I think we need someone who has a proven record of many of the facets of football.

1. Experience at the top level - some european experience. Foreign languages would be a bonus.

2. Someone who has experience in management - handling players, contracts, discipline, training on a day to basis.

3. Someone who hasn't a blemish on their CV ideally

4. Someone who has has got a winning mentality, is familiar with winning

5. Someone who is respected and when interviewed, talks sense

6. Someone who understands budgets, working with limited resources.

7. Someone who is know and respected, preferably at a European level

Paul Ince ticks all these boxes, Big Al doesn't, Neither does BFS or the Wally with the Brolly.

I have never really liked Ince. Something about his personality. Also, I do believe he is a big time charlie as Fergie once said, always thinks of himself and no one else.

However, to be fair though, he has done well in management so far, but I would prefer Shearer if it was between the two.

Ince destined for greatness

Ince is destined for greater things

Bloody cheek. Who the hell do they think they are? Biggest losers in football. Season after season I just love watching the tears stream down those gormless know nowt geordie faces.

Bob on! Ha Ha I 'd luv it - just luv it, for Shearer to come here and do well and then go up there and try and work with that shower and it all go wrong again. Are they are too thick to see their own failings, when will they realise that it the club that makes the managers here successful season after season, not the manager.

When they have a club (a CLUB stupids) not a manager thats superb they will win (possibly) as much as we have over the last 15 years ie. summat (beer setting in now)

Archived