BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nickos (newer) Thread

surely the lad (Bentley) just wants to play football, so yes he may not get the dream move to a CL club hes looking for, but if things dont change he will still want to be a part of the Rovers first XI... to get those int. caps :D

That's the theory and I'd like to think it's true. But who knows what goes on in footballers' heads?

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope if he stays he doesn't do a Van Hoojidonk and go on a massive sulk and play badly.

He's won't unless he has no brains whatsoever.

Plays crap= no champions league clubs look at him in january.

Plays crap= might not get picked for the england qualifiers and further cement Beckham's place in the squad.

Depends on the player and how badly he wants to move, maturity level will tell on that one.

I am sure he will impress even though he may personally be very unhappy as he wants a new club.

Just don't want that bad juju in the dressing room.

In the unlikely event of Bentley staying, I think he will knuckle down. He says some things that upset people but not really anything too out of order, and he will know his best route out is playing well. He would be absolutely odds on to leave in January.

To be honest I would rather sell him now and move on, rather than the team having to put up with the speculation for another six months at least. I think there is a pretty decent chance he will have a poorer season next year a la McCarthy at any rate.

If he isn't keen on us I don't see why we are bothering. I would like to see him actually go and speak to Martin O'Neill face to face though....if MON believes he can change his mind he might pay up but I doubt it and don't see why we're bothering with someone who'll repeat Barrys actions in a year or two.

Bentley and Barry remind me of each other, both opened their gobs and it's not inconceivable that it could blow up in both of their faces....frankly I hope it does.

As for Friedel, I definitely want him. If you saw that state we had in goal last year you'd know why, 2.5m is nothing to us so am surprised we're being so picky with that. We don't have some set wage structure on players, people like Young and Agbonlahor get improved terms as they go on as they're so young. Friedel is an old head and experienced, we know what he's about, we know he'd improve us.....50k a week doesn't seem unreasonable to me if it's a deal clincher. The deadline thing is good for Blackburn as we're pressured to pay but if we miss the deadline then I see no reason why he won't still be a target, just means Taylor in goal a couple of games longer or Guzan if his permits done by then.

Has Aimar not been out of form for a few years now?...He seems a bit lightweight for the Prem I'd have thought too!

Yup, hence why he should go to a club like ours which has made a habit of rehabilitation. As opposed to a club that has a habit of ruination.

Nicko, when you said "Its funny what £10m will buy you these days - ;) "

Was the wink alluding to a potential Rovers target? (not Schweinsteiger but someone of the £10m range??)

i can't see Rovers splashing out £10m on one player, unless Bentley goes

Nicko, when you said "Its funny what £10m will buy you these days - ;) "

Was the wink alluding to a potential Rovers target? (not Schweinsteiger but someone of the £10m range??)

No, just think the fee is big.

If it's so clear that bentley wants to go to spurs and spurs want bentley how come they haven't tried to sign him yet?

I remember the same thing before we signed ashley young, all the press were saying how he was going to be a spurs player, then west ham made a bid and then all of a sudden he was certainly going to sign for them.

One of the reasons i hate spurs so much is the way the press make them out to be some big time club. Since the prem began they have finished in the top 8 only 5 times, that is shocking.

Anyway i'm hoping we can reach a deal for friedel, i think it would be one of the signings of the summer.

David Bentley thinks spurs is a step-up?

Yes because spurs are a 'big club' and will almost certainly finish 1st in the league next season

(if its judged by Ego)

:rover:

No, just think the fee is big.

I think my post may have been lost amidst the swathes of others over the last few pages, but Nicko - Do you think that if the Friedel deal isn't completed by midnight on Friday (most probably owing to Spurs being difficult), that Villa will still be prepared to spend big to get Brad?

I think my post may have been lost amidst the swathes of others over the last few pages, but Nicko - Do you think that if the Friedel deal isn't completed by midnight on Friday (most probably owing to Spurs being difficult), that Villa will still be prepared to spend big to get Brad?

Hopefully this will be resolved by then...if not, I don't know the next step.

Nicko will I need to take a brolly out with me tomorrow?

Do I look like Michael Fish... ;)

Another question Nicko lol but I was just wondering if Ince is actually thinking of selling any players that haven't been mentioned so far and are probably not the most coveted. Is he unimpressed by anyone e.g. the Axe, Zurab, Gally?

If he brings in two or three midfielders then some will obviously not get a game.

Mokoena and Tugay will have a lot on their plates to play next season.

But no-one is being pushed out at this stage.

The plane leaves in a couple of hours for Germany...I'm not sure if he is on it...and I don't think he is sure himself.

I think he sees Tottenham as a 'step up' and, someone well-informed posted on another site, that his bird lives down that way too.

One of the top four may come in late...but if Spurs offer the dough then he will go and won't wait.

Do you mean "lives" or "comes from" because as far as I'm aware he lives with his girlfriend Kim near Bury (remeber the DIY Interview?). There seems to be a lot of assumptions made about Bentley and sometimes I think people sometimes see him as arrogant an then automatically assume he must want a London lifestyle to fit with it.

Don't get me wrong, footballers speak rubbish all the time but rememebr this from the "Arsenal were boring interview" he did a few months back

"'I'm not a foreigner here. I have family in Rochdale, I feel right at home. Lancashire is a lovely place to live. I've been back to London twice since I came up here. It feels right for me."

Hopefully this will be resolved by then...if not, I don't know the next step.

Interesting.

I know there are still meetings going on between Brad, JW, Villa, Spurs etc, but everything seems to rely on an awful lot of compromises being made by an awful lot of people in the next 32 hours or so.

What you have to remember with Spurs is that whilst they have a lousy league record over most of the last 30 years they are by far the best supported club in London, particularly amongst middle class media types. The three newspapers I've worked at are all over-run with Spurs fans and a story saying Spurs are going to sign a big player will sell a lot of papers in the capital regardless of how true it is.

The journo's are also more likely to turn a quote like 'I'm happy at Blackburn' into 'I want to move to Spurs to fulfill my Champions League dreams'.

Still I've made a lot of money over the years by betting rovers finish higher in the league and I'm still taking those bets for this season.

:rover:

Do you mean "lives" or "comes from" because as far as I'm aware he lives with his girlfriend Kim near Bury (remeber the DIY Interview?). There seems to be a lot of assumptions made about Bentley and sometimes I think people sometimes see him as arrogant an then automatically assume he must want a London lifestyle to fit with it.

Don't get me wrong, footballers speak rubbish all the time but rememebr this from the "Arsenal were boring interview" he did a few months back

"'I'm not a foreigner here. I have family in Rochdale, I feel right at home. Lancashire is a lovely place to live. I've been back to London twice since I came up here. It feels right for me."

Check the Bentley thread...you seem to have more time on your hands than me.

Archived