BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Robinson

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand where all this stuff about his "shocking" treatment has come from. Yes he wasn't picked and one could argue he maybe deserved a place in the squad, but he wasn't really particularly ahead of any of the goalkeepers who were selected for England and as I said before his first season or so for Rovers was hardly inspiring stuff. James had consistently performed well for Pompey and had done the job when needed for England so it was fair enough he got the number 1 slot. Would it have been better for Robbo to be carted around as the 2nd/3rd choice keeper?

At least now there's a vacancy for the slot now that James has retired and Green is off the scene, this would have been perfect for him to stake his claim as an experienced candidate finding good form again, but he's ruined those chances now.

Why not? He obviously doesn't see any future in the England set-up, it's his prerogative to call it a day.

Because it's selfish and to be honest, it's a bit bitchy.

He's obviously had his nose put out of joint by being dropped, and this retirement is his little revenge.

Players just don't care about playing for their country any more.

I don't believe he's been treated shockingly but I do believe that he hasn't been given a fair crack at being number 1 since the qualifiers for the Euro's despite being in top form for the club.

When England needed an experienced goalkeeper, who has been in form for his club, then I really cannot see why he wasn't in the top 3 goalkeepers to make the World Cup. Rob Green made the most errors out of all the goalkeepers in the season, David James was nearly 40 and played for the team who finished bottom of the league and Joe Hart was inexperienced yet was probably the only goalkeeper out of the 3 who fully deserved to go.

What do we sing though?

No One Likes Him, No One Likes Him, No One Likes Him – He Don't Care!

Super Robbo, Super Robbo, Super Robbo...Our Number 1

:lol:

Because it's selfish and to be honest, it's a bit bitchy.

He's obviously had his nose put out of joint by being dropped, and this retirement is his little revenge.

His country never treated him with respect and the manager never kept his word about picking players on merit. Why should Robinson bend to Capello's whim when he ditched him before the WC?

Robbo would love nothing more than to be England's No. 1, but he's fed up of being dropped one moment and then asked to make up the numbers the next.

What in god's name are you blithering on about now?

It was an off hand comment and in no way related to what's on the current front page. What happened was shocking and deserves the front page of any newspaper but most of the time it's xenophobic nonsense on their front pages.

Hardly blithering. You gave a link and I followed it.

I personally feel Foster and Hart are better keepers than Robbo, when Robbo has been in the squad under Fabio he hasn't even had a look in anyway.

Before anyone gets carried away lets rem there isn't a good keeper in the lot of them. Odd cos in the 60's 70's and 80's England produced loads of top keepers.

His country never treated him with respect and the manager never kept his word about picking players on merit. Why should Robinson bend to Capello's whim when he ditched him before the WC?

Robbo would love nothing more than to be England's No. 1, but he's fed up of being dropped one moment and then asked to make up the numbers the next.

Ditched him? Don't be such a drama queen. Players get dropped all the time. What did you want Capello to do, say "there, there" and give him a cuddle? It's not about Capello, it's about playing for your country, or being ready to play.

Boo hoo, poor him, he wasn't playing well for Spurs and got dropped by them. Maybe if they recalled him, he should've refused to play? He got dropped by his country, now he's had the opportunity to get back in the squad, and he's thrown it back in their faces.

I'm sure if it was up to him, he'd be number one, but players aren't in charge of team selection. The manager tells them who's playing, I guess they have to bend to his whim?

Anyway, you don't give a monkeys about England, so why are you having a hissy fit?

Ditched him? Don't be such a drama queen. Players get dropped all the time. What did you want Capello to do, say "there, there" and give him a cuddle? It's not about Capello, it's about playing for your country, or being ready to play.

Boo hoo, poor him, he wasn't playing well for Spurs and got dropped by them. Maybe if they recalled him, he should've refused to play? He got dropped by his country, now he's had the opportunity to get back in the squad, and he's thrown it back in their faces.

I'm sure if it was up to him, he'd be number one, but players aren't in charge of team selection. The manager tells them who's playing, I guess they have to bend to his whim?

Anyway, you don't give a monkeys about England, so why are you having a hissy fit?

Hissy fit? :lol:

I couldn't care less about the England team, but I understand Robinson's motive, s'all.

Never mind Robinson today, that is the nub of the issue in general and the basis of my comments re: the World Cup debacle. It's all about attitude. The disappointing performances by most of the countries whose players are involved in the Champions League imo validates this. France, Italy, England all going home in various levels of shame. Club is now much bigger (and invariably better in quality, and more profitable) than country and national fervour has disappeared as teammates line up against teammates. It's just a summer jolly to so many. I'd wager any of the semi finalists of the CL would prob win the World Cup imo, and that is something which would have been impossible 10-15 years ago.

This poor attitude to the national team is why Blanc has dropped the entire French team, it is why the youthful German team did so well, it is why Linekar has come out so strongly yesterday against Capello and some of the senior England players. No idea what to do about it though except as I've said before and thats for any England manager to look for hunger and determination in players before ability alone. He'd get hung by the press who all know better of course but who cares about them?

fair play to him... made the right decision.. and who knows as soon as silly italian t##t that calls himself the england manager gives up he might decide to come out of retirment... but i think he has reliased that under capello he has no chance!!! well done robbo

Well its a bit of a kick in the teeth to pick him for a friendly after not bringing him to the World Cup. I think Robbo is doing the right thing, he said he doesn't want to be a no.3 or 4. I think that suggests that he asked if he was back in the squad permanently and was told that Hart and Foster are ahead of him.

I could be way wrong on that but he said he doesn't see himself as a no.3 or 4 and never said 2.

Hardly blithering. You gave a link and I followed it.

Before anyone gets carried away lets rem there isn't a good keeper in the lot of them. Odd cos in the 60's 70's and 80's England produced loads of top keepers.

Before anyone gets carried away?

All I am saying is that in my opinion Foster and Hart are better than Robbo!

To say that there isn't a good goalkeeper in any of them is utter garbage! Hart was brilliant for Birm last season.

Well done Robbo, exactly what was deserved after unfairly not going to world cup...when muppets such as James & Green made it.

Plenty of support for Robbo on Skysports too - from fans of United, Liverpool, West Ham, Newcastle and obviously Blackburn & Spurs.

He will no doubt get some stick for it...but the decision can only be a good thing for our club! 1 focus - Blackburn Rovers!!

To say that there isn't a good goalkeeper in any of them is utter garbage! Hart was brilliant for Birm last season.

ben foster is sh*te

Ben Foster is sh!te

Robert Green is sh!te

James was past it about 2 years ago

Realistically @ the world cup - the 1st slot should have been a choice between Robbo & Kirkland, with Hart as 3rd choice (due to lack of 1st team exp)

Hart is the best keeper in the country, however Robbo wouldn't be far behind him.

Foster didn't get many games last season and when he did play he wasn't that good. Foster has potential but along way to go before he is as good as Robbo.

Good for him. Its a completely different scenario to muppets such as Carragher, or even Sutton all those years back. Robinson, on merit, over the season deserved at least a call up to one of the squads. He was totally put aside for non-footballing reasons, when you compare the form of Green, or James to his. I dont think Robinson is back to his "best" nor is he world class, but he was miles ahead of Green at the very least. Definitely better than Foster too. He wouldve been 3rd choice in the current squad too.

I can't believe the contradiction in that post intabeaver. First you are not getting carried away then you say next sentence that Hart was brilliant last season. :rolleyes:

But in all honesty I thought that about Hart too from watching him on the telly ....... Until he came to Ewood. Sam simply stood Samba and N'Zonzi next him at every set piece and bombed him from a great height and Hart was reduced to a quivering wreck. If thats a brilliant keeper then I'm a dutchman. He's a good shot stopper without question and is probably our 1st choice but unfortunately he appears more scared of crosses than Count Dracula.

btw Did you go to the Brum match intabeaver?

Brilliant. I think Robbo just became one of my favourite players.

And no, this isn't really about him quitting England, it's about quitting a squad managed by a complete clown who doesn't deserve to have good players in his team. If Capello honestly believes Green, James, Heskey etc. are good enough to start at the World Cup, then he'll have to pay the price for that. Correcting his decision after the tournament is over for a friendly game vs Hungary is a bit too late.

Archived