BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England Squad

Fianlly, the subs. Rooney for Downing? Bentley for Lampard? How does that work?

Please can someone explain it to me?

He played Rooney on the left, so Downing was an obvious one.

Bentley came on for Lampard as part of a double sub, Jenas for Beckham being the other. So that one made sense.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barwick has been fired

Bring Brian back immediately!

Scrambled last minute equaliser, but what a shambles!

Beckham, Heskey, Gerrard and Lampard together, Jenas in - WTF? Are we in a time warp?

Bobby Charlton had better start dusting his boots down before the next game.

Where is the pace in the side?

We are one dimensional and play like Wimbledon FC.

Bentley needs to start, play Heskey with Rooney up front and Barry with Gerrard in the middle with Lamps on the BENCH.

Where is the pace in the side?

I don't know, but we're certainly lacking it. How Ashley Young never made the squad is beyond me.

Personally I'd go with him and Walcott on the wings, Gerrard behind Rooney, with Hargreaves and Barry holding. Cole and Richards can overlap from full back. It'd lack a bit of experience but pose a much bigger (and more exciting) threat, and with Young in the side we wouldn't be lacking quality from set pieces either.

I'm not worried.

Capello is not blind, he will have seen this.

This could have been a few players last chance saloon.

We will see.

(If we play the same way with the same team in the first 2 qualifying matches, then I will be asking questions)

Why isn't Agbonlahor in?

He was in the Under 21's last night...and didn't even make an appearance, spent the whole game on the bench.

I'd definitely have him in the squad, probably ahead of Defoe because he just seems destined to be one of those Ian Wright/Andy Cole/Robbie Fowler figures who never take their club form on to the international stage.

He was in the Under 21's last night...and didn't even make an appearance, spent the whole game on the bench.

I'd definitely have him in the squad, probably ahead of Defoe because he just seems destined to be one of those Ian Wright/Andy Cole/Robbie Fowler figures who never take their club form on to the international stage.

Stuart Pearce said that Agbonlahor felt his hamstrings tighten in the warm up, so he took the precaution of not risking him.

Another cracking performance, no tempo, no clue, showed glimpses of quality in patches but all in all a mediocre performance. We barely deserved a draw against a Czech Republic side who were well organised and kept their balance but were no world beaters by any means.

Nobody particulary stood out for me.

Terrible match. Brown probably our best player - says it all!

James was terrible - Robbo can surely win that place back soon.

England need to get rid of Beckham and go with Bentley.

They should also look at pace from the likes of Young, Downing. Strikers are poor - owen isnt the answer and neither is Defoe at international level. Also you cannot play Stevie G on the left wing when you have Joe Cole, Downing and Young all available. It should be Stevie G and Barry/ Hargreaves in the middle with the likes of Lampard/ Carrick and Barry on the bench.

Also you cannot play Stevie G on the left wing when you have Joe Cole, Downing and Young all available.

Chris Waddle on Setanta commentary said on more than one occasion that we shold play Rooney on the left wing!

Capello has publicly stated that English players lack invention, imagination on the football field, this, he said, is something that you cannot coach into a player,though you can probably knock it out of them, this for me is the biggest simple reason WHY England will always struggle to get past that final hurdle.

The English youth football development is pathetically inadequate from grassroots level upwards.

BTW: People who are wondering why the hell failures like Becks and Co. continue to start for England. It is because of the prejudice that favours experience over youthful promise at nearly all costs. (If we are failing, we should be doing so at least TRYING to evolve the team by introducing new promising blood - not failing with the end of the road perpetual failures).

I would say why not pick a team that can play together? Doesn't matter if they are no our eleven best players. Get individuals who can do the business, and play their respective positions. For me it is pretty straightforward:

---------------------Ashton/Crouch

---------------Rooney

---Barry------------Gerrard----------Bentley

-----------------Hargreaves

Cole-------Terry------Ferdinand----Richards

--------------James/Robinson

Lampard is in direct competition with Gerrard, Cole is a player to be brought on in any attacking position, Beckham is finished. It is not a brilliant team, it is not going to be Spain or Argentina but it will be solid, do the job, and give our better players the freedom to do their best supported by water carriers.

The English youth football development is pathetically inadequate from grassroots level upwards.

BTW: People who are wondering why the hell failures like Becks and Co. continue to start for England. It is because of the prejudice that favours experience over youthful promise at nearly all costs. (If we are failing, we should be doing so at least TRYING to evolve the team by introducing new promising blood - not failing with the end of the road perpetual failures).

For me for now i'd ignore the focus on Beckham and concentrate on the forward players, this department just isnt delivering.

Rooney is nowhere near the level he should be, plus the loss of Micheal Owen looks a bigger loss than it ought to be with every game we play without him.

Archived