BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Return Of The Axe

We all expected most first team positions to be up for grabs when Ince came in, after all he did say everyone had the same opportunity to get selected. But first day of the season, neck partially on the line and who do we see in the heart of midfield.....it's our old friend the axe :D

After most fans I have spoken to agreed with Hughes decision to leave him out for the majority of last season, is this the return of the axe? Is 2008/2009 the year when the axe comes firmly in from the cold and provides the backbone we need to successfully challenge for glory?.....we shall wait and see.......

Opinions?

Is it just a one-off though? I don't mean to be disrespectful but last season he was attrocious. I can't remember if it was Villa or West Ham at Ewood where it seemed like he didn't pass the ball to a team mate once....

On another note, if Ince likes what he sees in Mokoena, is that one less player to look for in the transfer window? After all, he is a fairly athletic player and can get up and down the pitch easily......hmmm...

I'm the worst critic of the Axe, but I'll admit he put in a good perfomance against Everton. It's gonna take a lot more than one game to convince me, but there was definetly improvement on his game. Finally he won some headers, his positioning was good and he was closing down people properly rather than running in between trying to look busy. He also kept his passing game simple and short, which is his job, rather than his blind passes forward or raking long passes out to touch.

He warrant another start, but we still need another defensive option. And please keep him out of central defence :)

Mokoena was brilliant against Everton. A real unsung hero in the perfromance.

Although he still managed to hit one or two 50 yard passes to absolutely nobody. He needs to learn he can't do that.

He's athletic and strong and has the shirt. It's his to lose.

If Axe becomes a first team regular, I will be absolutely astounded.

Imo, the Everton performance can only be explained as a one off. Even if Moko does reach a par level of performance, I still firmly believe that we need to find someone better because, ultimately, the holding midfielder has a crucial role in dictating the flow of play - by picking up from the defence and spreading play etc.

If I am wrong and Moko does emerge as a decent CM, I will happily and fully admit my failure to see potential in Moko.

Mokoena was possibly our best player against Everton, he did very well and his passing was much improved. The only thing I will say however is that he was up against a weak midfield, much tougher opponents await that may cause more of a problem and may require a better player to do the job.

Good luck to him - if he can hold down his place then im sure he will have to be playing very well. We shall see.

Fair play to the Axe, I thought he was excellent and if he has regained a bit of form / swapped his legs or found his confidence then all the better for the squad and team.

To the people suggesting it's a one off, what about Arsenal (Away & Home) the year we put them out the cup? He did a proper job on what couldn't be described as a weak midfield.

I hope he keeps it up, well done Ince & Axe as far as I am concerned!

I'll be surprised if he holds down the first team place all season especially as more midfielders are likely to come in between now and the end of the transfer window. However, he played very well against Everton, if he keeps that up then he deserves to keep his place in the team, it's up to him now, he has the opportunity ahead of him, let's hope he takes the ball and runs with it. (Not literally of course) :)

I'll be surprised if he holds down the first team place all season especially as more midfielders are likely to come in between now and the end of the transfer window. However, he played very well against Everton, if he keeps that up then he deserves to keep his place in the team, it's up to him now, he has the opportunity ahead of him, let's hope he takes the ball and runs with it. (Not literally of course) :)

Prefer to see him taking limbs to be honest, saw an excellent picture in The Times on Sunday with Axe holding Barton off the ground by his throat (Referring to last seasons incident and Barton making friends)

I do remember Axe taking out that dutch winger (Name eludes me) who was playing for the rent boys at the time, did he break his foot? This fella in front of me said "Well done Axe, thats the ticket" Axe just pulled his socks up and winked and the fella the other side of me said "But next time do him BEFORE he notches" we all (Including Axe) laughed it off.

Prefer to see him taking limbs to be honest, saw an excellent picture in The Times on Sunday with Axe holding Barton off the ground by his throat (Referring to last seasons incident and Barton making friends)

I do remember Axe taking out that dutch winger (Name eludes me) who was playing for the rent boys at the time, did he break his foot? This fella in front of me said "Well done Axe, thats the ticket" Axe just pulled his socks up and winked and the fella the other side of me said "But next time do him BEFORE he notches" we all (Including Axe) laughed it off.

I have nothing against him hacking down a few opposition players, it should be encouraged, as long as he stays clear of giving away penalties and getting red cards. I hope he nails Bentley a few times when Spuds come round.

The Axe Delusion occuring at Rovers has precedents at other clubs.

Precedent 1: Does anyone remember the holding midfielder, Slavisa Jokanovic, who was signed by Ranieri and played for him at Chelsea?

He played 39 games for Chelsea and few of the fans could believe why. He was the wateriest of water-carriers. There seemed little to his game barring standing in front of the back four and passing the ball sideways. The fans despaired but Ranieri kept playing him. In fact, he was so bad that when he left he made a statement on the Chelsea website offering his apologies for putting in poor performances.

According to Wiki, after leaving Chelsea, he played 3 month in the Segunda Liga before retiring.

Precedent 2: Radostin Kishishev fielded in the holding role by Curbishley.

The Bulgarian left back was shoved into DM by Curbs. He showed little capacity to succeed there but Curbs persisted. Charlton fans were outraged....anyone remember Rovers 3-2 victory over Charlton in the Carling Cup, when we scored 3 goals in the last 15? Well Kishishev was meant to be the defensive midfielder that day... Curbs went on to patronise the fans by saying that they "didn't see" all the good work Kishishev does off the ball and which makes him a Premier League defensive midfielder.

Charlton got relegated and Kishishev sits on the bench at Leeds.

In my humble opinion, the Axe Delusion ranks alongside the above (decisions made by respected bosses, Ranieri and Curbishley) in being, well, a delusion. You could also point to Harry Redknapp's obsession with talentless wonder, Richard Hughes - or even, Souness' keeness on Jon Douglas or Nigel Quashies lucrative travels. These supposedly top managers seem highly susceptible to getting infatuated with inadequate but hard-working defensive midfielders.

The ones, like Richard Hughes and Moko, who play sparingly, often do not get found out - simply because they're not on the pitch long often enough. However, the others do.

He has actually played really well in the last two games and is showing some potential.

I honestly didn't think he was much better against Hull. The Everton game by all accounts he was fantastic.

I think it's a case of selecting the games he plays carefully. He seemed to hold up all our attacking moves with sideways and backwards passes, not to mention his lack of ball control. He also seemed to run past the player and allowed him straight onto our back four.

The type of player he is will make him more useful in away games and games where we are up against it.

That's a worrying interview. Mokoena's a terrible footballer and an average athlete - he doesn't provide the mobility needed from a central midfielder covering for the likes of Dunn.

if he's such a terrible footballer then why arn't you playing for rovers and tell me why hes the captain of his country and why does he play for a preimer league club?

id like to see you become pro

if he's such a terrible footballer then why arn't you playing for rovers and tell me why hes the captain of his country and why does he play for a preimer league club?

id like to see you become pro

In a similar sense, can I not say that a lady has micro-boobies and is a bit of a minger unless I'm a girl myself?

I suppose I shouldn't say that Steven Spielberg has produced some right crap movies as I have not directed any films. Or I should not complain about the state of our poltics since I have never been an MP.

Anyway, I'd have loved the Axe to suddenly become a brilliant holding player, and he may have been great against Everton. I wouldn't expect him to show such signs and I believe that another is needed for that role as the axe is not to be relied on. Maybe Andrews will be a revelation. Wel, we live in hope.

In my humble opinion, the Axe Delusion ranks alongside the above (decisions made by respected bosses, Ranieri and Curbishley) in being, well, a delusion. You could also point to Harry Redknapp's obsession with talentless wonder, Richard Hughes - or even, Souness' keeness on Jon Douglas or Nigel Quashies lucrative travels. These supposedly top managers seem highly susceptible to getting infatuated with inadequate but hard-working defensive midfielders.

Wasn't Souness using one of our academy prospects in the first team to give him vital experience? Isn't that what they need?

Turns out that he was crap, never good enough and apparently we shouldn't have bothered. Funny, that.

Archived