BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham Versus Blackburn Rovers

Treacy was very very good. A genuine winger we havn't had since the time of Duff. Obviously not world class but I liked him a lot. Excellent crossing, could beat his man on the outside, always looking to drive forward. Not sure what you think is wrong with him?

There's nothing wrong with Treacy - I agree entirely with you. His crossing is far superior to Pedersen's, and I would like to see him given a chance to start games.

I guess we'll have to disagree about Derbs then, but I just don't think he's Premier League quality.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are you talking about? For a start we didn't have that many oppertunities in the second half and our midfield was so poor that we were resorting to long balls all the time.

We created a couple of good chances and numerous good positions second half. One thing that was noticable was that unlike against Hull we weren't just hoofing the ball upfield until the last 10 minutes.

The only positives I could take from this was Andrews and Treacy. Andrews had a couple of moments where he seemed surprised by the pace of the game, but he got past that rather quickly. Some good passing from him, and made some good runs forward. Something we've been missing in our central midfielders. Treacy got several crosses in, and I liked the fact that he made at least one good cross with his right foot.

Samba must've made more sliced clearances than the rest of the team combined. Seemed like his only weapon was to try and foul any player he came up against. Put Simpson or Emerton at right back, and use Ooijer or Zurab alongside Nelsen.

But the point is, we were losing, we had no creativity on the pitch, so we bring him on? What? How about Carlos. If he's not fit enough to get on the pitch he shouldn't be on the bench. And where was Tugay today? He could have given us that spark we needed.

I think Ince was worried that if he borught on Carlos we would lose width as we would only have three in the midfield (He could't feasibly take off a striker as they were both providing our outlets). Considering we were getting ripped on the flanks that is understandable.

I was a little shocked when andrews trotted out for the second half, but it actually looked like a good move. He played well and could actually pass!

What are you talking about? For a start we didn't have that many oppertunities in the second half and our midfield was so poor that we were resorting to long balls all the time. He gave the ball away on a fair few occasions and looked out of his depth if you ask me.

But the point is, we were losing, we had no creativity on the pitch, so we bring him on? What? How about Carlos. If he's not fit enough to get on the pitch he shouldn't be on the bench. And where was Tugay today? He could have given us that spark we needed.

Carlos is not a midfielder. He plays off a striker. Would you have replaced the sub derbyshire or the relatively more effective Roberts???? Ince had his hand forced by santa's injury and he was justified in his decisions to bring on both Andrews and Treacy. im sure if Santa had not been injured Carlos would have been brought on later.

I thought Andrews done well when he came on.

If Matty's goal had stood or if we had scored the penalty it would of been a different game but we didn't and that's football.

Our right hand side needs addressing! Ooijer is not a right back and we desperately need a new right winger before the window closes.

I think we have the central defence people, it just needs the courage to drop the imcumbents.

Agree, we should be playing Nelsen and Ooijer in the centre and then either Emerton or Simpson at right back. I just hope it doesn't take Ince half a season to figure that out.

The score line didn't reflect the game, and the one saving grace for me was Treacey. I thought he looked excellent today. He should start against Arsenal in my book.

I turned it off at 3-1 so I missed the Warnock cock up. Maybe your assessment is right.

I think that is unfair on Derbs. I thoutht he was eefective on the counter and should of had a goal. I didn't think he was so bad.

Treacy was very very good. A genuine winger we havn't had since the time of Duff. Obviously not world class but I liked him a lot. Excellent crossing, could beat his man on the outside, always looking to drive forward. Not sure what you think is wrong with him?

Your comments were 90% mine. Warnock did cock up for the 4th by trying a slow Cruyff turn in his own box. Derbyshire is a poacher and played as such, we didn't play much in their half so he was missing for large parts of the game.

I'd hate to be around poor Dan if something really went wrong. B!oody hell talk about miserable. He did have Roberts' pen spot on though, he was always going to miss.

If you read the comments they are tending to water down a bit as time passes. Grella was crap and maybe said as much to Ince going of at half time, his replacement looked steady.

Robinson looked iffy at times then pulls off class saves.

Samba needs dropping after that performance. Put Ooijer in the middle with Simpson on the right.

Well i thought the team over all looked tired. No one really hustled and we gave away the ball cheaply.

That said i thought that Pederson looked good as did grella. Warnock and emo looked good but nelson did not IMO. Roberts did well at time but should have put away that PK. Reminds me of the PK taken by Ronaldo in the CL final. No power no pace and cheeky as F!

Oh well move on and well take it to the Arse.

The end of the match was frustrating, but the most frustrating thing is reading the post here of people who didn't watch the game!!!

Those who watched the game seems to be of the same opinion as me:

- Refs was awful. Their second goal was offside as Ashton interfered from an offside position. And the disallowed goal of Derbyshire..

- Roberts goal was fantastic, a good perfomance marred by an awful penalty. I was praying for him just to power it, but the penalty was so easy to read that is was painful to watch.

- Defence was all over the place and Samba was worst. Cole and Ashton gave them a real lesson. And what was Warnock doing giving them the fourth goal...??

- I didn't expect much of Andrews, but he looked supringsingly good. Good passing keeping it on the floor, tried to get involved and seemed to be a willing runner into the box.

- Treacy was pretty good as well and I liked the fact that he could cross with both feet. Also showed good pace against Neill.

- Didn't think we were very good posession wise today, but created a lot of chances though. At least 3 clear cut chances in addition to the penalty.

- We always lose at West Ham's, even with intelligent Hughes and his dynamic and progressive patterns. Ince will get his time to put his stamp on things and probably needs to start by sorting out the back four.

Our right hand side needs addressing! Ooijer is not a right back and we desperately need a new right winger before the window closes.

Don't hold your breath. It's very late now, I don't expect anything significant to be done.

Nice to see the 'Winterburn effect', 4 games and 0 clean sheets. Who needs qualified coaches when there are retired left backs with nothing better to do knocking around?

I did indeed... and to be fair Andrews did reasonably well all things considered.

The point though is this: Ince brought Villanueva in, played him in the cup, and waxed lyrical of his performance.

Then when it is clear that we needed a spark, he brings on his favourite instead.

When is the kid going to get given a chance?

Probably when the game is won at home, following a few weeks in the gym and perhaps even a couple of reserves run outs to get get his fitness levels up.

Andrews looked excellent to me and will surely start at home to Arsenal.

I thought Andrews done well when he came on.

If Matty's goal had stood or if we had scored the penalty it would of been a different game but we didn't and that's football.

I agree with you. Andrews did well. And also is keith. If I will the manager today, I would drop samba for the next match. What he hell is he doing up on the field when he should be at the other end? Although I agree at point of time he did very well but his concentration lapes is causing us a lot of point drop last season too.. I would rather put Ooijer in the middle and find a good right back or right winger.

I dont understand all this "Carlos isn't a midfielder" talk? I thought he was an attacking midfielder who geta forward and can play in the hole. To me playing him alongside a more defensive midfielder is ideal. Because if we are only going to play him as a supporting striker then he ain't going to play very often. Ince seems to like Roberts and he isn't going to drop Cruz. Plus we have McCarthy. If he was signed to play as a striker then that was pointless as we already have plenty of them in the squad.

Samba must've made more sliced clearances than the rest of the team combined. Seemed like his only weapon was to try and foul any player he came up against. Put Simpson or Emerton at right back, and use Ooijer or Zurab alongside Nelsen.

This is going to be a real problem for us as the season wears on. Samba is out only defender with have with pace, and if Ince wants us to keep such a high defensive line we have no option but to play the big man. Can you imagine a pacy forward against Nelsen and Ooijer?

That said against Arsenal we have to play deep (or maybe Ince is even more gungho than I anticipate?) so it is feasible to drop him. But we need the Congo player to find his form or we are in the mire.

I have now reached booing point with Pedersen. utterly ineffective yet again. Get him out of the team Ince.

Today may not have been his fault particularly but he does NOTHING, game after game.

Villanueve wil be 100 times the player in his position.

We need a proper right-back desparately. A lot of work to be done on the back four.

Andrews may not be Pele but he's better than Reid from what I saw today, another who shouldn't be playing.

I dont understand all this "Carlos isn't a midfielder" talk? I thought he was an attacking midfielder who geta forward and can play in the hole. To me playing him alongside a more defensive midfielder is ideal. Because if we are only going to play him as a supporting striker then he ain't going to play very often. Ince seems to like Roberts and he isn't going to drop Cruz. Plus we have McCarthy. If he was signed to play as a striker then that was pointless as we already have plenty of them in the squad.

But you can't play him in a regualr 442. You would need a diamond or something. Essentially we would line up like this:

-------------Carlos

Pedersen---Grella----Emerton

But everyone would have to narrow in to close the space in the centre of the park.. Considering Etherington was hugging one touchline that sort of room he would find out wide would be lethal.

We need to try the above set up, but I can see why West Ham wasn't the game.

13 years and still no win at West Ham - hardly suprising we didnt win today is it?

4-1 not a true reflection of the game - should of been a score draw, but the key decisions (offside goal that wasnt offside) and Roberts again taking the penalty have cost us.

Nice one Hughesy - an honest assessment - some of the bull written on here from some of our row posters is a key reason for me not bothering any more. Just glad a lot of those people dont go down to Ewood with their constant bitching and moaning. Get behind the team and keep the faith.

Really? Go and read the Villanueva topic then, it's explained in great detail why he won't be a central midfielder in a midfield four.

Other peoples opinions are always nice to hear, but he's a footballer. He can pass the ball, can score goals, can create chances. That's the job of a midfielder. Players are not given a position at birth and can't play anywhere else. Dunn is a central midfielder, but he has also done a good job for us on the right and on the left. I see no reason why Carlos can't play as the attacking option in 4 man midfield. If we had two wingers creating and constantly on the attack, then fair enough, but we don't have that. With either Reid or Emerton on the right we need that creativity coming from the centre. He doesn't have to be the best tackler, as that is the job of the guy stood next to him. The thing is, if you are a good enough footballer you can play almost anywhere.

Also, He could have taken Grella off for Carlos, put Carlos behind Roberts and Derbs out right and Gamst out left in 4-2-1-3 formation. After all, we were losing the game and needed to chase it.

The games over now, it was West Ham and we move on to the next game in the hope the team performs much better.

Ram Jam. lucky West Ham... or not see the end...

Notwithstanding a clearly onside being ruled out by a sun-blinded official and carelton Cole not even getting a yellow for punching away a goal-bound free Kick ( and don't tell me an equally culpable Rovers would not have seen red)

Rovers brought about their own downfall today and no doubts about it

- defending/goal keeping for WHam's first goal were HORRIBLE

- Samba for 15 minutes including the o.g. sliced everything

- Warnock had an absolute stinker; by far the worst I have ever seen him play

- no way does Grella look like £4m of "talent", he looked out of his depth, out classed, out thought, out fought

- and as for that penalty "attempt"....

The good news after today is

- unless we get unlucky in the Cup draw we don't have to go to Upton Park again this season

- Hands up time but Andrews looks like a footballer

- we can cause opponents big problems even when RSC doesn't play

- Keith Treacy carries a real threat when MGP does not

- We have been working on corner routines, now we need a corner taker

- Robinson can still make wonder saves

The worry is we msde the West Ham midfield look good and quick; we will be in deep trouble when we face a team that is genuinely go0od and quick.

The bad luck for West Ham?

They get to keep Curbs... :P:lol:

Archived