BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Ham Versus Blackburn Rovers

The end of the match was frustrating, but the most frustrating thing is reading the post here of people who didn't watch the game!!!

Those who watched the game seems to be of the same opinion as me:

- Refs was awful. Their second goal was offside as Ashton interfered from an offside position. And the disallowed goal of Derbyshire..

- Roberts goal was fantastic, a good perfomance marred by an awful penalty. I was praying for him just to power it, but the penalty was so easy to read that is was painful to watch.

- Defence was all over the place and Samba was worst. Cole and Ashton gave them a real lesson. And what was Warnock doing giving them the fourth goal...??

- I didn't expect much of Andrews, but he looked supringsingly good. Good passing keeping it on the floor, tried to get involved and seemed to be a willing runner into the box.

- Treacy was pretty good as well and I liked the fact that he could cross with both feet. Also showed good pace against Neill.

- Didn't think we were very good posession wise today, but created a lot of chances though. At least 3 clear cut chances in addition to the penalty.

- We always lose at West Ham's, even with intelligent Hughes and his dynamic and progressive patterns. Ince will get his time to put his stamp on things and probably needs to start by sorting out the back four.

Right on

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are you talking about? For a start we didn't have that many oppertunities in the second half and our midfield was so poor that we were resorting to long balls all the time. He gave the ball away on a fair few occasions and looked out of his depth if you ask me.

But the point is, we were losing, we had no creativity on the pitch, so we bring him on? What? How about Carlos. If he's not fit enough to get on the pitch he shouldn't be on the bench. And where was Tugay today? He could have given us that spark we needed.

""The only thing that would have improved on the 4-1 score line was if Andrews had got injured and missed the rest of the season. ""

That comment is what I am talking about.

Some absolutely ridiculous posts on here, we didn't play particularly well but neither did we play that badly.

First half we lost the middle, Grella was off the pace and Reid was... very poor, as he was on the right. Poor defending, very disappointing second goal, but Ashton was surely 'interferring' with Samba.

Slagging Roberts? Excellent goal and maybe our best player in the first half, poor pen but he did ok in the second half. 2 goals in 3 games, good start to the season from him.

Second half, Andrews did pretty well, some nice passes and creative play, did much better than Reid and Grella. Also Emerton did a decent job in the second half, these two were the main reason we did a lot better in the second half and Parker and Noble who had been dominating in the first were not anything like as good in the second.

Matty had a 'good' goal wrongly ruled offside, poor linesmanship.

Brett played a superb ball to Matt's great run, but his poor first touch took him too close to Green.

They reversed roles a bit later and Matt put in a top notch cross and Emerton perhaps should have scored.

Treacy was excellent when he came on and looks a very exciting prospect, but it might take him a bit of time to develop his all round game. He is definitely pushing an unimpressive Pederson hard for a place versus the Arse.

Overall, not great, a bit unlucky some postives and negatives. We missed Dunn and Cruz a lot. Reid doesn't deserve a place in the team, I've been really hoping that he can get it back, poor fella, but not good enough at the moment.

We DESPERATELY need a right winger, Reid Emo ( stick him back at RB) are not good enough there for a team that wants to finish top half.

We will get better as time goes on and Ince gets to do his job.

I'm not impresed by Robinson at all.

He is not a good judge of a cross or a good catcher of one.

He needs to STAY ON HIS LINE. Like Brad did.

The first goal today was totally down to him, if he stays on his line it goes straight into his midriff.

The end of the match was frustrating, but the most frustrating thing is reading the post here of people who didn't watch the game!!!

Those who watched the game seems to be of the same opinion as me:

- Refs was awful. Their second goal was offside as Ashton interfered from an offside position. And the disallowed goal of Derbyshire..

- Roberts goal was fantastic, a good perfomance marred by an awful penalty. I was praying for him just to power it, but the penalty was so easy to read that is was painful to watch.

- Defence was all over the place and Samba was worst. Cole and Ashton gave them a real lesson. And what was Warnock doing giving them the fourth goal...??

- I didn't expect much of Andrews, but he looked supringsingly good. Good passing keeping it on the floor, tried to get involved and seemed to be a willing runner into the box.

- Treacy was pretty good as well and I liked the fact that he could cross with both feet. Also showed good pace against Neill.

- Didn't think we were very good posession wise today, but created a lot of chances though. At least 3 clear cut chances in addition to the penalty.

- We always lose at West Ham's, even with intelligent Hughes and his dynamic and progressive patterns. Ince will get his time to put his stamp on things and probably needs to start by sorting out the back four.

Spot on- the people who didn't watch the match have clearly got hold of the wrong end on this one.

I'm not impresed by Robinson at all.

He is not a good judge of a cross or a good catcher of one.

He needs to STAY ON HIS LINE. Like Brad did.

The first goal today was totally down to him, if he stays on his line it goes straight into his midriff.

You might be right on the goal, but Davenport had Nelsen so outjumped that he probably could've placed more to the side if Robinson was on his line.

But I agree with your point. Brad was always reluctant to make a dash on those situation and Robinson should be as well. He had a couple of good saves in the second half, and had an ok game for my part.

what a crap day......

im sick of if's and but's

it dont matter that we had a goal disallowed and missed a pen, we lost a winnable game.

i dont know who to blame?

* the players - not doing there job

* ince- his subs never changed much

* the ref -being poor again

* me - for not wareing my rovers shirt today

????

Carlos when is he gonna get some prem mins?

i think we will get better. but how long will it take?

wrong thread..

we need to bring in a RW who is proven good, not who could be good!

Oh dear god.

Haven't read through the posts as I'm just back from the actual game.

Keith Andrews surprised me. He looked ok. I'm worried that was because we were by that point resembling a division 4 side rather than him being any good, but he didn't look out of his depth.

Paul Robinson, on the other hand is a stinker of a signing. every cross that came over saw him flapping like a seal, and his positioning was awful. Hope mr Bunn the baker's son is good. He's going to be needed.

Without Dunn and Santa, we looked ordinary. Derbs tried, and is very fast. Roberts played well- apart from the penalty.

Emerton is NOT, repeat NOT a right winger. Please write this on a card and deliver it to Mr Ince. Tell him to read and digest. For that matter, neither is Stephen Reid.

I particularly liked the only save Robinson made. It was from Warnock. Anyone spot the flaw there?

And as for the substitutions.......... Either Carlos is fit or he's not. For god's sake when the game is crying out for creativity, making like for like substitutions is just plain stupid. (Although Treacey was far better than Gamst. He actually took on players and put in good crosses. Oh for Santa to have been on the end of them..............)

First League match of the season. Same outcome and performance as Wolves. Not good.

The ref didn't help, though

Paul Robinson, on the other hand is a stinker of a signing. every cross that came over saw him flapping like a seal, and his positioning was awful. Hope mr Bunn the baker's son is good. He's going to be needed.

I particularly liked the only save Robinson made. It was from Warnock. Anyone spot the flaw there?

Robinson was completely at fault for the first goal. However you seemed to have missed an outstanding save Robbo made from Bellamy.

Do agree thought that the signs don't look good. He needs to settle and build his confidence.

Playing well (apparently) and losing ; drawing at home and losing away to 2 of the Prem's weaker teams.

Relegation form.

Short term memory loss! Hmmmm looks like it's started Jim. :mellow:

BUT the Everton and Hull results kind of puts our start into perspective.

You weren't watching when he pulled off a stunning double save at 2-1 down then?

I missed the first goal but after that thought Robinson played quite well, never seen all four defenders play quite as badly at the same time together though.

That said: The 4-1 scoreline was a travesty, we certainly should have had at least a point on the balance of play second half. The offside on the half hour mark given to rule out Matt's "equaliser" was an absolute shocker which would never have been awarded against the home side.

Roberts played well overall but that was a dreadfully casual attempt at a penalty. You can't give a team a two goal start away from home then miss a penalty and expect to get anything.

Mike Riley had an absolute stinker as always and amongst other things carded a couple of Rovers players for superb tackles which took the ball as clean as a whistle. He also in my view wrongly penalised Samba for a foul as he charged upfield at the end looking for an equaliser. Whilst Samba stood there arguing WHU lofted the ball into the space left for Bellamy's killer third. The fourth was even more academic, we had seemingly given up by then.

So nowhere near as bad as the scoreline looks but we do have to start defending properly. Perhaps we should get Winterburn in another day a week. (Or should it be a day less?)

One negative for me was Grella. It said on the teamsheet he was playing but I don't think I noticed him touch the ball after that.

reading some the posts here, I have question: Why exactly are we playing football this season if we're not aiming for the champions league spot? How are we possibly going to progress unless we win games against Hull and West Ham?

Listen to Ince here.

I'm actually warming to the fella, the scoreline gives the impression of a drubbing which it clearly was not. Cheer up chaps, three went in against the blues at Goodison this afternoon, and three have got the better of Shay Given this evening.

:)

That's the most assured I've seen Ince so far as Blackburn manager.

Short term memory loss! Hmmmm looks like it's started Jim. :mellow:

BUT the Everton and Hull results kind of puts our start into perspective.

Draw at home to Hull and defeat away to West Ham : it's not difficult to understand.

just got in from golf course, seen the score and my reaction was a very passive one as i fully expected to lose........it maybe a bit flippant but i ain't too bothered. From sounds of things it was'nt as bad as the scoreline suggests and the referee was a "homer". Just a shame we gotta wait 2 weeks to get it out of the system. Everton getting tonked at home takes the edge off a bit :P

Just a shame we gotta wait 2 weeks to get it out of the system.

Its not a shame at all, it will give Santa time to recover and also give the new lads a little time to settle in with their new team mates (the ones that arnt away of course)

Right- from my West Ham perspective:

Robinson wasn't all that great- seems to be communication issues with the back four. He pulled off a couple of great saves but didn't seem comfortable for the rest of the time imo.

Samba is a beast and I can't believe how much he got away with.

Warnock was commited as was Emerton. MGP might as well not have been there.

Thought you lot played with a lot of aggression and were very physical- Ince effect??

Bentley was probably the best player I saw at Upton Park last year. I think you miss him a lot. Losing Roque early on clearly ruined your game plan as well although Roberts always seems to score against us no matter who is playing for.

The score was flattering for us but despite the penalty miss and 'off-side' goal I feel we dominated the game. We are receiving a lot of bad press at the moment and I suspect the morning papers will say you deserved something from the game even though I feel you didn't.

With the greatest respect to you guys I was quite disappointed with your team today, surprisingly so as I thought you had a good chance of turning us over despite your poor record at our place.

Anyway, all the best.

Rathbone

Right- from my West Ham perspective:

Robinson wasn't all that great- seems to be communication issues with the back four. He pulled off a couple of great saves but didn't seem comfortable for the rest of the time imo.

Samba is a beast and I can't believe how much he got away with.

Warnock was commited as was Emerton. MGP might as well not have been there.

Thought you lot played with a lot of aggression and were very physical- Ince effect??

Bentley was probably the best player I saw at Upton Park last year. I think you miss him a lot. Losing Roque early on clearly ruined your game plan as well although Roberts always seems to score against us no matter who is playing for.

The score was flattering for us but despite the penalty miss and 'off-side' goal I feel we dominated the game. We are receiving a lot of bad press at the moment and I suspect the morning papers will say you deserved something from the game even though I feel you didn't.

With the greatest respect to you guys I was quite disappointed with your team today, surprisingly so as I thought you had a good chance of turning us over despite your poor record at our place.

Anyway, all the best.

Rathbone

You get another few weeks of Curbishley - aren't we nice!

Archived