BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] World Cup Qualifiers 2010

philipl

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant believe the press trying to assassinate Johnson the Liverpool right back, looks like they've got something against him other than his footballing abilities.

IF, the press are going off Johnsons performances, then they are clearly showing their weaknesses about football or are they simply flexing their influential muscle to oust Johnson and making the excuse about performance.

I've just got home and stuck on the Eire v S.Africa game and literally as I switched on, EVH got taken off after 60 minutes on the pitch. Anyone see how he did as well as Keith Andrews?

EVH played ok, he looks like he has a good touch, he did a few flicks and looked a little lightweight, especially with a couple of strong challenges from his Rovers team mate Andrews!

Andrews also had a few words the Axe after he had elbowed Doyle!

Cant believe the press trying to assassinate Johnson the Liverpool right back, looks like they've got something against him other than his footballing abilities.

IF, the press are going off Johnsons performances, then they are clearly showing their weaknesses about football or are they simply flexing their influential muscle to oust Johnson and making the excuse about performance.

After the Slovenia game, he deservedly got slaughtered because he was appalling defensively against a poor team. Although Terry got away with it lightly because he was at fault a few times which would have cost us against a better side. At Liverpool Johnson has the luxury of having Dirk Kuyt ahead of him who is always covering defensively when Johnson is too far forward. For England, SWP or Lennon won't work as hard as Kuyt to get back which leaves England more exposed when he's too far forward. A lot of the media are calling for Wes Brown to be England's right back when we play better teams who will expose Johnson. I want to know what the hell went wrong with Micah Richards. He could have made that right back his own but he's gone from the next big thing to a liability.

After the Slovenia game, he deservedly got slaughtered because he was appalling defensively against a poor team. Although Terry got away with it lightly because he was at fault a few times which would have cost us against a better side. At Liverpool Johnson has the luxury of having Dirk Kuyt ahead of him who is always covering defensively when Johnson is too far forward. For England, SWP or Lennon won't work as hard as Kuyt to get back which leaves England more exposed when he's too far forward. A lot of the media are calling for Wes Brown to be England's right back when we play better teams who will expose Johnson. I want to know what the hell went wrong with Micah Richards. He could have made that right back his own but he's gone from the next big thing to a liability.

For me he wasnt appalling Tim. Lescot was at fault for the Slovenia goal yet nothing is said.

Johnson is Englands best right back by a country mile and a bit more opinions eh !

Wes Brown should be nowhere near the International stage Tim. Never in a million years is Brown a quality International player, hes just a very ordinary player whose had the opportunity to play in an exceptional team very very lucky indeed.

Yeah I agree. Despite us being 1 win away from being in the World Cup, we are still looking far away from being amongst the favourites to win the World Cup considering the amount of mistakes we've made defensively, especially in the last two games. I also agree regarding Wes Brown. I was just stating what many sources in the media have said. A few years ago I would have chosen Micah Richards as he was strong defensively, great going forward and had a great engine on him and had the potential to get even better. Unfortunately he's disappeared and is looking nowhere near as good as we hoped he would become. As for Johnson, I think he's our best option and I hope he follows Ashley Cole and become a better defender over time but it is worrying the amount of times he gets caught out.

For me he wasnt appalling Tim. Lescot was at fault for the Slovenia goal yet nothing is said.

Johnson is Englands best right back by a country mile and a bit more opinions eh !

Wes Brown should be nowhere near the International stage Tim. Never in a million years is Brown a quality International player, hes just a very ordinary player whose had the opportunity to play in an exceptional team very very lucky indeed.

Spot on Johnson is worth the price tag IMO.

Him and Ashley Cole offer England so much going forward and are both more than able defenders. The Gareth Barry role is more and more critical for England, when Johnson or Cole go forward Barry is the man who has to slot in there and cover any break. Hargreaves was superb at doing that and Barry is pretty good.

Wes Brown shouldn't even be in the Man Utd first team never mind the England team. He is average IMO.

A defence of Johnson, Terry, Rio, Cole has to be amonst the best around and with Barry sweeping and covering it is a very solid base. Just need to find a keeper, get Joe Cole fit and find a world class striker and we are sorted.....

I agree. I was very disappointed with Lescott and thought he was very culpable for the goal. He made a complete hash of marking his man and didn't seem bothered that he didn't get a challenge in. Overall, I was disappointed with England who looked lack-lustre apart from some cameo's from Defoe and Johnson who looked good going forward. Why the press would jump on Johnson for the goal alone when Lescott let his man get a free header I don't know. Yes he should have dealt with the crosser of the ball better but Lescott was missing completely.

A defence of Johnson, Terry, Rio, Cole has to be amonst the best around and with Barry sweeping and covering it is a very solid base. Just need to find a keeper, get Joe Cole fit and find a world class striker and we are sorted.....

Do you see Ashley Young or Lennon in the strongest team? I.e who would you stick on the right?!

I pretty much agree with what you said above. Im not happy with Green, Foster or James - Its time Robbo got a chance.

Rooney is quality and can inspire the team on his own.....unfortunatly we dont seem to have another striker who has that sort of impact - that is what is really lacking.

Underlying thing about last saturdays friendly is the media questioning Glen Johnsons role or ability to play in the England team, not from one journalist but from many, what is this conspiracy ?

I find it alarming that there must be something else behind this witch hunt other than just Glen Johnsons performances alone.

Switched on Sky sports news yesterday and even they started with Glen Johnson will keep his place against Croatia even Capello had to defend GLen Johnson why, why, have we ended up with this.

The medias attack beased of Glen Johnsosns performance has no foundation, no substance at all and is ill informed judgment. What I want to know is is there another reason behind it all.

I don't read the papers and I don't watch Sky Sports News, so my views haven't been tainted by their brainwashing.

Any attacks of any note against us on Sat'day came down our right, their left. I appreciate Johnson is very good going forward, but he isn't a great defender. At least he has pace to get him back into the correct position. There were some gaping holes where he should have been on Sat'day, though.

I don't read the papers and I don't watch Sky Sports News, so my views haven't been tainted by their brainwashing.

Any attacks of any note against us on Sat'day came down our right, their left. I appreciate Johnson is very good going forward, but he isn't a great defender. At least he has pace to get him back into the correct position. There were some gaping holes where he should have been on Sat'day, though.

Those gaping holes should have been covered by the vastly overrated Matty Upson who was later replaced by the equally ineffective Joleon Lescott.

As a full back you'll always need a bit of help form another team mate, obviously SWP didnt do much, but the next port of call is your right sided centre half.

The two above didnt help out much either.

I had not noticed just how massive tonight's World Cup Qualifiers are until I read this BBC analysis.

How good not to be sweating for qualification at this stage of the competition- makes a very nice change.

For about 16 other nations, it really is do or die time. Could well be last rites for Turkey and Portugal. France could be in a spot of bother after tonight as well whilst Scotland will probably secure the unique position of worst second placers and effectively be out as well.

Portugal has to win all 3 matches and expect that Sweden lose points to be second. And, even if it happens, Portugal could be the worst second place.

After Scolari, we went back to the same football we had more than 10 years ago. Play good football but terrible finishing.

We definetly need a good striker.

I guess we still have a chance but I don't believe in it.

I've heard that, in order to decide which country is the worst second, since there are groups with 5 and 6 teams, it will only be considered the games against the top 5 of the group. That will change a lot.

From what I've seen, Denmark and Sweden are not superior to Portugal.

Sweden managed to get 0-0 in both games and Denmark won 2-3 in Portugal with a few late goals and got a draw in a game where Portugal could have scored 4 or 5 goals.

Belarus and Faroe Islands are winning. It could be their first wins in the qualifying phase.

Archived