BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] World Cup Qualifiers 2010

philipl

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If anyone is listening on five live, how bad is alan greens commentary ?

he moans about everything and anything he spoils the radio for me.

I can't stand the guy. Switched in on driving home and he started moaning about why do England need a new kit, as though it's new revelation to change the kit every two years, and then the kick off time. Someone else on here started complaining about Stuart Hall who, IMO, in the small doses we get him brightens my Saturday afternoons. Green is just way too annoying. Glad I've got Setanta to avoid him.

Pedersen scored a free kick against South Africa. Pity he cant do that more often for Rovers. However Norway were outclassed, with midfielders Steven Pienaar and Teko Modise in sublime form. It was just a friendly, but im hoping we reach the second round at least.

I didn't recognize more than three or four names in that South Africa team (and I spend way to much time on football as it is!), could you fill us in on some of the newer players that could play for Bafana Bafana in the World Cup Iceman?

Also, a 100 % Swedish away performance against Portugal tonight, 0-0 and with both matches against the Portugese out of the way we should qualify for the World Cup if we can win the rest of the games in our group!

Commodore, the thing is South Africa are in a rebuilding phase. Many of the players you saw, are playing in our local league. We have players like Teko Modise, Katlego Mashego, Bryce Moon, Kagiso Dicgacoi and Simphiwe Tshabalala to look out for. Teko Modise is a dazzling midfielder, in the mould of Pienaar but with alot more skill.

Considering we had no attacking midfield and played with 9 and occasionally 10 men.... I saw Lampard on the team sheet but not on the pitch. Gerrard again showed that he cannot stand up at international level. THESE TWO Simply CANNOT PLAY TOGETHER AT TOP LEVEL! It was obvious before he came and it's blindingly obvious now and Capello is not up to much until he solves the attacking midfield situation. As soon as Cole is fit Lampard should be dropped from the squad and Gerrard dropped from the team. Our biggest threat Rooney ended up having to drop too deep because of it and also losing both his concentration and his temper.

What is the point of David Beckham anymore?

James still very dodgy.

Last but not least my MoM... The referee! An excellent performance the Prem League should take steps to utiliste these guys and bin a few of ours... The likes of Wylie / Riley / Styles etc should be binned and replaced by guys like this.

What has been the point of David Beckham for some time now? When he gets on the pitch the whole game slows down to enable him to get on the ball. We play a lot better when we play with more pace and energy. It worries the opposition. Ukraine were being out passed and out manoeuvred all over the pitch while Lennon was still on then Beckham came on and all movement seemed to stop and we seemed to rely on the thought that Beckham might get us a goal from a free kick. Well, he might but I'd rather see us try to keep on playing like we did earlier in the game than rely on that happening.

Thought Gerrard and Lampard along with Barry put in some excellent disciplined performances, all these guys worked hard to cover back when attacks broke down and the Ukrainians attacked. Not pretty but we looked solid.

Wayne Rooney is certainly looking a class act with every England game he plays at the moment but Ashley Cole is he simply annoying little irritant.

Glen Johnson looks like hes establishing himself as the England right back for many a year to come.

If they keep working hard, cant see us being world beaters, but definitely optimistic for the future, all we need is a bit of luck to come along at the right time.

Last but not least my MoM... The referee! An excellent performance the Prem League should take steps to utiliste these guys and bin a few of ours... The likes of Wylie / Riley / Styles etc should be binned and replaced by guys like this.

Sounds like a firm of solicitors. :rolleyes:

Glen Johnson looks like hes establishing himself as the England right back for many a year to come.

Really? I think he's a decent player but nothing special. Not international class, if you ask me.

Considering we had no attacking midfield and played with 9 and occasionally 10 men.... I saw Lampard on the team sheet but not on the pitch. Gerrard again showed that he cannot stand up at international level. THESE TWO Simply CANNOT PLAY TOGETHER AT TOP LEVEL! It was obvious before he came and it's blindingly obvious now and Capello is not up to much until he solves the attacking midfield situation. As soon as Cole is fit Lampard should be dropped from the squad and Gerrard dropped from the team. Our biggest threat Rooney ended up having to drop too deep because of it and also losing both his concentration and his temper.

James still very dodgy.

Yeah Capello can't be that good can he, I mean 5 wins from 5 games what kind of record is that :D .

You suggest dropping Lampard and Gerrard and bringing Cole in but that still leaves 1 short in midfield, so who do you suggest then Dunn, or maybe Andrews on a short term loan from Ireland :lol: .

Would like to know what midfield you think is our strongest.

Cole on the left is our best option in that position, I would put Gerrard and Barry in centre with either Lennon or Walcott on right.

You suggest dropping Lampard and Gerrard and bringing Cole in but that still leaves 1 short in midfield, so who do you suggest then Dunn, or maybe Andrews on a short term loan from Ireland :lol: .

Barry played well tonight as usual. Midfield of Lennon/SWP Cole, Barry, Downing/Young . Gerrard on the bench, Lampard watching at home. No doubt lots will criticise this but imo it will bring Gerrard and Lampard from out of their comfort zone and spur them onto a higher level. That or it'll see em off the England scene. Truth is they are resting on their laurels. They are certain within themselves that they will never be dropped and it shows.

Barry played well tonight as usual. Midfield of Lennon/SWP Cole, Barry, Downing/Young . Gerrard on the bench, Lampard watching at home. No doubt lots will criticise this but imo it will bring Gerrard and Lampard from out of their comfort zone and spur them onto a higher level. That or it'll see em off the England scene. Truth is they are resting on their laurels. They are certain within themselves that they will never be dropped and it shows.

I agree with you about Lampard, he's not really had a decent game for England for a while, I would still stick with Gerrard though, don't agree about Downing though I don't think he's shown enough to play at International level at the moment.

As for Beckham, not a starter now because of the likes of Lennon, SWP and Walcott in front of him, still a squad player though, I think Capello will keep picking him in squads in the qualifiers, be interesting to see if he would make the World Cup squad.

I agree with you about Lampard, he's not really had a decent game for England for a while, I would still stick with Gerrard though, don't agree about Downing though I don't think he's shown enough to play at International level at the moment.

I don't rate him highly but he is the best natural left winger that we have. Playing right footed players there is putting square pegs in round holes, it upsets the balance and narrows the width. Also because Joe Cole / Gerrard can just about cope there then they get put there. Political correctness with the popular press but managerial stupidity. Cole or Gerrard should be in the middle, Lampard is a good player but not good enough to displace those two and as such is superfluous to requirements.

Gerrard and Lampard are great players Theno, i agree they probably can't play together but i would still have them in my squad. For me Gerrard is a better player then Lamps, just because he can offer england a bit more going forward. What we need is Joe Cole back on the left wing or Downing/Young proving they can play at international level.

Overall i think Capello is doing a very good job in his short time as manager of England. I just wish we had a better keeper to pick, because with James i am always dreading he is going to make a costly mistake.

Rooney was world class night i thought and thought he should of been voted man of match instead of JT

:rover: poor display last night,good job i have only applied for a tst 5 :rolleyes::brfcsmilie:

it was not that good at times in the 2nd half, but i think overall it was an ok display, not a poor one like you are saying. Ukraine are a good side so it was always going to be a tight game. The three points were massive and i think now may of well just confirmed England's place in South Africa.

I don't rate him highly but he is the best natural left winger that we have. Playing right footed players there is putting square pegs in round holes, it upsets the balance and narrows the width. Also because Joe Cole / Gerrard can just about cope there then they get put there. Political correctness with the popular press but managerial stupidity. Cole or Gerrard should be in the middle, Lampard is a good player but not good enough to displace those two and as such is superfluous to requirements.

I understand what your saying, but is it better to put a player on the left just because he is left footed and fills the place or put a player on the left who is not a natural left footer, but is a better player than Downing.

Let's hope Shearer has the same superstar influence as Maradona :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7978041.stm

Not surprised at all in terms of that result, a lot of sides have struggled against Bolivia and other countries that play at a high altitude. FIFA have been trying to ban football at that altitude for quite a long time.

We've had relatives visitng from South Africa recently. One of them said, we weren't even discussing football, "I'm dreading 2010" to which my response was "Why what's happening?" Anyway that aside the comment was from a general conversation about the difficulties SA has with utilities and lack of investment. Explaining the WC comment I'm told the country is badly behind schedule with preparartions, ill prepared for the volume of visitors and very worried about the rise in crime the WC will be. Our relatives even advised another branch of the family not to go to SA for the competition.

The biggest worry seems to be crime, primarily because thousands and thousands of visitors will arrive with little knowledge of how the country works and the dangers they face. If what has been described to me is true, and I have little reason to doubt it, I'd stay home and watch the TV.

Archived