SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] World Cup Qualifiers 2010

philipl

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed he was.

I see it was worthwhile Grella making the trip to South Korea, as they lost 3-1.

Robinson wasn't mentioned by 3 pundits and David Seaman in the pre-match debate about the position. James and Green are the golden boys!

That is a Pen to England, somehow?

• Backroom

Modes has a point Rooney is a diver though, the penalty he got against Arsenal for example he was well on his way to the ground before the contact was made.

Oh and after seeing it again its a dive theres no other explaination, no contact at all

I stopped up to watch Argentina vs Brazil last night, was a pretty good game. Argentina had most of the game but Brazil are now very good at defending and despite having much of the ball Argentina didn't look too threatening. two excellent goals from Datolo and Fabiano.

It means that Brazil have now qualified but Argentina are in danger of not qualifying at all - would be strange to have a World Cup without them.

saw iceland against norway yesterday, gamst didn't do much, could have done both better and worse, an ok display. didn't get many balls from the team-mates, so couldn't do much tough. aron gunnarsson from coventry played from start for iceland, and looked great! great player for a 20year old, played central midfielder. great touch, engine and movement. think we should snap him up as soon as possible, because his value and reputation will rise for each match he plays!

he was voted coventry's player of the year, last year as well!

saw iceland against norway yesterday, gamst didn't do much, could have done both better and worse, an ok display. didn't get many balls from the team-mates, so couldn't do much tough. aron gunnarsson from coventry played from start for iceland, and looked great! great player for a 20year old, played central midfielder. great touch, engine and movement. think we should snap him up as soon as possible, because his value and reputation will rise for each match he plays!

he was voted coventry's player of the year, last year as well!

He does look a little like Arshavin. We probably could do with a creative player like him.

He said in the summer that he would give Coventry another season. Ever since we played them in the cup I have been keeping tabs on him. Westwood and Gunnarsson are by far and away the best players in the Coventry team and if we didn't already have Robinson then I would be heavily pushing for us to buy both of them.

Gunnarsson needs to mature but he is a pretty good player already and worth £1-2m, and should make the step up well.

Westwood will get a move to premiership club soon and from what I have heard the Coventry staff aren't making his stay very comfortable but yet he still turns in top draw performances. Future Ireland keeper :lol:

We should have claimed him, that was a big mistake, he is much better than Foster atm. I knew he was born in england, as i was discussing it about a year or 2 back with friends and he wasn't declared then, nor did I realise he had any non english heritage. Why do good players always have irish grandparents!

Gutted especially as they have Shay as well. Guess they can spot a good player. I'll consider Ireland

I say we bring in Gunnarsson in the January Transfer Window or next summer.

He is defently someone we could need , and he has probably learnt a lot from Eidur Gudjohnsen - who is still a class act !

Norway were poor as usual. I am so happy we didnt try to get John Carew to Rovers this summer.

Have faith Hughesy. Gunnarsson will be looking to move in January or the Summer, as Coventry won't be coming up.

Just depends how much he improves as a player and how much it adds to his value.

But we don't want a central midfielder. :D

Sweden stays in the mix for one of the top two places of the group after a 2-1 victory over Hungary in Budapest. Sweden had 1-0 and a kept the game pretty neat and tidy until 80 minutes when Hungary was given a soft (but correct) penalty. 1-1 and goodbye World Cup, but after 93.07 (the refreee had given 3 minutes extra time) every Brit's favourite player Zlatan Ibrahimovic ran on a long ball from midfield. The Hungarian defender judged the course of the ball totally wrong and Zlatan is 1-1 with the keeper, he gets a toe in and pokes the ball in the chest of the goalkeeper just to see the ball bounce of the keeper, onto Zlatan again and the into the net. 2-1 and there was not even a kickoff, game over.

Sweden are going into a major player change with some of the older players being on the last few years of their career, but i'm still hopeful that we can get into our eight straight Euro/World Cup and make a good result in South Africa, perhaps even make it past the first knockout round for once? We still need three victories from our last three games, startin with Malta away on wednesday.

Re Sweden, you won 8-0 last time you visited Malta. Ibrahimovich scored 4 in the first 16 minutes.

Re Argentina, they are still 4th (two points ahead of 5th and 6th having played the same number of games) and it is top 4 plus a gimme play-off for the 5th placed club who go to South Africa.

I think Cristina Ronaldo has had it with Portugal but Messi should still appear with Argentina. Whether the Hand of God could guide them out of the first round and into the ko part if they get drawn in a half decent group in South Africa is another matter.

Archived