BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] World Cup Qualifiers 2010

philipl

Going back to the initial point did you see that Terry played right of centre last night.

Yes, because he is right footed and Upson is left footed.

Why would you play the left footed centre half on the right and vice-versa?

Terry may play left of centre with Carvalho and Ferdinand, but they're both right footers.

Do I look for evidence...Do I....ah go on then:

Wenger talking about Upson, mentions being left footed.

Can't find anything on Terry, just loads of results about when he broke his right foot. Still, doesn't matter does it? If you have one two-footed centre back and one left footed, you set them up as Capello did, regardless of full backs.

This is a stupid discussion anyway, you're factually incorrect. I really shouldn't have bothered with this reply.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, because he is right footed and Upson is left footed.

Why would you play the left footed centre half on the right and vice-versa?

Terry may play left of centre with Carvalho and Ferdinand, but they're both right footers.

Do I look for evidence...Do I....ah go on then:

Wenger talking about Upson, mentions being left footed.

Can't find anything on Terry, just loads of results about when he broke his right foot. Still, doesn't matter does it? If you have one two-footed centre back and one left footed, you set them up as Capello did, regardless of full backs.

This is a stupid discussion anyway, you're factually incorrect. I really shouldn't have bothered with this reply.

The point what I was making was Capello changed his centre halfs around last night which was different to previously. Its these little things that may go unnoticed but they make all the difference and show Capellos attention to detail.

A bit naughty of me to say he was covering Johnson just threw that one in to see what came back.

The point what I was making was Capello changed his centre halfs around last night which was different to previously. Its these little things that may go unnoticed but they make all the difference and show Capellos attention to detail.

I didn't see the game at the weekend...did Capello really play Upson on the right and Terry on the left? Slightly baffling if so.

Terry is both but hes predominantly stronger on his left. Never felt Upson is left footed always thought he was stronger on his right.

Both of those statements are absolutely untrue. Are you sure you learned left from right as a child?

Matthew Upson has played in the Premier League for around a decade. How can you not have noticed that he is left footed?

I have held back from posting because I think most of the stuff on here is picking holes for the sake of it but mainly because I am in a state of shock.

Qualification with two games to go is a simply astonishing achievement.

This is by no means a vintage England crop of players and the squad gets very threadbare very quickly- Upson and Heskey having to be played. It is easy to say now we got a soft group but nobody was saying that when Croatia and Ukraine came out of the hat when the draw was made.

The change in performances in the two England v Croatia games now compared with two years ago is astonishing.

Croatia are no weaker realistically and Bilic presumably is much more experienced than the greenhorn who inspired the 2008 qualification. Arguably, England were significantly stronger in personnel two years ago.

What a huge difference getting rid of McClown and bringing in Capello has made.

Capello looks to be a brilliant appointment.

F365 did a lineup game for when they lost in qualifying to Croatia back in 2006. The 2 that stood out most were Carragher as left back and Carrick as right midfield.

I don't think that's right, isn't that the game we played 3-5-2?

I'm pretty sure Carragher was part of a back three and Carrick was in centre midfield.

Edit: It was, here's the line-up: Robinson; Terry, Ferdinand, Carragher; Gary Neville, Carrick, Parker, Lampard, Ashley Cole; Rooney, Crouch

It was a spectacular failure.

Croatia are no weaker realistically and Bilic presumably is much more experienced than the greenhorn who inspired the 2008 qualification. Arguably, England were significantly stronger in personnel two years ago.

What a huge difference getting rid of McClown and bringing in Capello has made.

Capello looks to be a brilliant appointment.

Not doubting what you are saying - but struggling to think of players available two years ago that would improve the current team. Remembering we were without Joe Cole and Theo Walcott last night - we actually have some further options to add to the team. There is only one player that I think England would really struggle to replace - and that is Rooney.

Not doubting what you are saying - but struggling to think of players available two years ago that would improve the current team. Remembering we were without Joe Cole and Theo Walcott last night - we actually have some further options to add to the team. There is only one player that I think England would really struggle to replace - and that is Rooney.

Well Joe Cole and Theo Walcott would have strengthened last night's team if fit :lol:

All the players who played last night were old enough to have been chosen two years ago except Lennon plus Ferdinand, Carragher; Gary Neville, Carrick, Parker were all fit/young enough to have been chosen two years ago and there was also a fit Owen Hargreaves and a 32 year old Beckham.

McClown had a better pool of players to chose from compared with Capello yet got completely rolled over.

I don't think that's right, isn't that the game we played 3-5-2?

I'm pretty sure Carragher was part of a back three and Carrick was in centre midfield.

Edit: It was, here's the line-up: Robinson; Terry, Ferdinand, Carragher; Gary Neville, Carrick, Parker, Lampard, Ashley Cole; Rooney, Crouch

It was a spectacular failure.

I think that makes it worse!

Got confused by them showing Cole on the left wing, thought it was Joe.

Capello on Wags:

Capello was philosophical at the summer comp.

"The players need to meet their wives and girlfriends, but it will be for one day after each game," he said.

"We are in South Africa to play, not holiday."

Good on him......I think Agbonlahor should be given an opportunity to play alongside Rooney, I think he would do a very good job. Carlton Cole is probably the other best bet. For me - Rooney or Defoe just dont do it at international level.

Hopefully Joe Cole returns too - but not Downing, id much rather see Ashley Young given his spot.

Capello on Wags:

Capello was philosophical at the summer comp.

"The players need to meet their wives and girlfriends, but it will be for one day after each game," he said.

"We are in South Africa to play, not holiday."

Good on him......I think Agbonlahor should be given an opportunity to play alongside Rooney, I think he would do a very good job. Carlton Cole is probably the other best bet. For me - Rooney or Defoe just dont do it at international level.

Hopefully Joe Cole returns too - but not Downing, id much rather see Ashley Young given his spot.

This post underlines what a fantastic job Capello is doing with what is by historical standards, a particularly weak England squad.

Qualifying should be par for the course for England. It's the tournaments that determine how well the manager is really doing.

Sven's doormat management got England to the tournaments. Once there, though, we know how pathetic we were at the crucial moments.

:lol: not a fan of heskey but how can a player get so much stick when we win 5-1,for the remaining group games i would love england to rest the players from the big 4 teams and let's see a few other players given a chance ;)

Maybe but it's impossible and unsporting. We'd be rightly accused of fielding a weakened team by the teams that we have already played twice.

Qualifying should be par for the course for England.

Sven's doormat management got England to the tournaments.

Qualfying has never been easy for England, as every supporters knows. - see Ramsey, Revie, Taylor, McClaren etc etc.

Eriksson changed all that, which made him a good England manager in most people's eyes. He certainly lacked the tactical nous in the big tournament matches - viz, the 2002 World Cup semi-final second half against Brazil - but that was as much down to a lack of quality players.

Capello likes Heskey - so expect him to be in every starting XI if he is fit.

I think that makes it worse!

Got confused by them showing Cole on the left wing, thought it was Joe.

What made it even worse still was that apparently it was to counter the threat Croatia posed down the wings. I wish McClaren had explained how having wing-backs with no supporting wide midfielders was meant to do that.

A lot of the blame was laid on Venables for this as he used the formation a lot in his time as England manager.

Big Sam has been speaking out about Robbo being the number 1 again.

Saying he should get the chance again and has far more experience. Must say I agree.

I think that Capello will call Robbo and other players (like Warnock, for example) for the remaining games...

Big Sam has been speaking out about Robbo being the number 1 again.

Saying he should get the chance again and has far more experience. Must say I agree.

:lol: remenber this is the same guy who picks julie,robinson is a million miles of being mumber one for england ;)

Archived