BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] World Cup Qualifiers 2010

philipl

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched Argentina beat Uruguay 1-0 and what a poor game. Apart from Messi, Tevez and Mascherano, that is the weakest Argentinian side I think I have ever seen.

There are a couple of players that are dubious like Schiavi, but you would expect Walter Samuel, Zanetti, Burdisso and D Milito to come back into the defense, plus Cambiasso, Gago and G Milito haven't even featured yet. They have pretty much qualified with a second string team.

I don't really know what Maradona is doing, he is a worry if he takes the players he has used in qualifying to the WC.

Confirmed- Seeds are France, Russia,Portugal and Greece leaving Bosnia, Ukraine, Ireland and Slovenia in the other pot. Draw Monday lunchtime and games 14 and 18 November.

Portugal having come back from a hopeless position are the form team who on paper the best of the lot. Russia would certainly beat the Republic. Greece will just be tough leaving the eccentricities of Domenech such that I reckon France are distinctly vulnerable and probably second favourites if they get Ukraine.

Ukraine v Russia is the draw nobody will want. That would be war.

Feeling very sorry for Ireland right now after they have drawn France in the play-offs:

Draw

FIFA have stitched them up royally in their attempts to ensure that the big teams make the finals. Here's hoping that Ireland and Bosnia pull off a couple of shocks and stick it up to Blatter & co.

Hopefully, nice to see some support from across the water

That is the draw Ireland must have been hoping for to be honest.

The French can be truly awful and although they have the better players, no way are they the force they were in years gone by. Trap will out think Domenech all ends up.

The Republic are outsiders but that is much better than facing Russia in Moscow in November, coming up against a back from the dead Portugal and a Greece side that would comprehensively out-Irish the Irish in the high tempo muscular stakes and have too much fire power up front.

Ireland desperately need to patch up things with Ireland to give themselves a very decent fighting chance.

Feel gutted for the tiny Slovenes facing the might of Russia and the Bosnians got the bum draw against Portugal although they will give it a right go. I know I have just bigged up the Greeks but I'd fancy Ukraine to get through depending on where the Ukraine game can be played following the flares in the England game. That said, if it is a question of who has the most mental crowd, the Greeks won't come second in that contest.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes good luck to NZ!

Apart from Russia looking altogether too much for Slovenia, the other three European play-offs look intriguingly poised.

Bosnia could have the skill and desire to upset Portugal

Domenech might be bad enough to screw the French

Greece and Ukraine will be a right scrap.

Elsewhere Egypt v Algeria will be tasty to say the least whilst it looks odds on Nigeria not qualifying for the first time in ages.

• Backroom

Whilst it would be good to see ROI go through I think at a World Cup you always want the big countries there, makes it more of a spectacle although France certainly aren't the power they were.

Yes good luck to NZ!

Apart from Russia looking altogether too much for Slovenia, the other three European play-offs look intriguingly poised.

Bosnia could have the skill and desire to upset Portugal

Domenech might be bad enough to screw the French

Greece and Ukraine will be a right scrap.

Elsewhere Egypt v Algeria will be tasty to say the least whilst it looks odds on Nigeria not qualifying for the first time in ages.

I have Bosnia down to beat Portugal, who are shambles under Quieroz. They did win their last three games, but like the rest of their campaign, it was pretty unimpressive. Bosnia are a great up and coming team, have some great attacking players and like Portugal are dodgy at the back. I can see Portugal winning by the odd goal at home, but I expect Bosnia to progress over the two legs. I'm hoping this guy will be on somewhere, as I hope to the see what this guy Senijad Ibričić, who we've been linked with, is like. I also fancy Ireland to beat France, who like Portugal are a complete mess under Domenech. How that man is still in charge, I'll never know! I would have preferred to have played the second leg at Croke Park, but there you go. I think we can beat them, even though they have more talented players than us, they are a poor team. In the other games, I see Russia getting through against Slovenia and Ukraine beating the Greeks.

As for Egypt v Algeria, that game is going to insane. Those guys despise each other and the last time they played, there was a riot. I can only imagine what it's going to be like for a place in the World Cup at stake!

I'm currently in Wellington and will be going to the game tonight vs Bahrain. Its refreshing to see NZ football-crazy at the moment; Wellington especially has been buzzing since the 0-0 draw in Manama. All Whites jerseys are sold out. Really hope we can pull it out.

Nelson has been front and centre in the media since landing earlier this week. Posters all over town with a great shot of him and the caption "no one escapes the full nelsen".

Hoping for cold and rainy tonight as the Bahrainis have just arrived in NZ after holding camp in much warmer/sunnier Sydney. Lots of Bahraini sportsmen/women have made the trip over and were causing a fuss (in a good way) downtown yesterday. The royal family is apparently in attendance and have booked out the city's entire fleet of limos haha.

Anyway, hoping for a win and some fireworks in the other ties later in the weekend.

Archived