BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] World Cup Qualifiers 2010

philipl

Not at all true Paul, the people who told you this are off the mark. Preparations are ahead of schedule, with most of the new stadiums being completed at the end of the year. Its been put into a bad light by people who are not keen for the world cup to go ahead.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy to accept what you say, I was merely repeating comments made by family members visiting us from SA. I can't gauge if it is true or not. It would be good to find they are wrong.

I understand what your saying, but is it better to put a player on the left just because he is left footed and fills the place or put a player on the left who is not a natural left footer, but is a better player than Downing.

The first.

A generation ago we had arguably the two best gkeepers in the world in Shilton and Clemence but only one of them ever played at a time. :)

Bit of an odd comment there Gordon. Comparing goalkeepers to outfield players, when its fact that only one keeper can start a game. Well unless one decides to play infield of course. Its a mystery how England have probably 2 of the best central midfielders in Lampard and Gerrard, and still struggle.

• 4 months later...

Obviously not a qualifier but didn't think it was worth it's own topic.

Anyone bothered about the England game tonight, at least in the dutch we have a decent opposition to make it somewhat worthwhile, still think it's utter madness playing a friendly 3 days before the start of the domestic season though.

Hopefully Robbo gets to start and can play a full game, he's earnt it in my opinion and is every bit as good as the other english goalkeepers, he hasn't had chance to prove himself for a while and should be rewarded with the chance. Probably come on in the second half, Boo-urns!

No surprises to see Gerrard had to pull out, wonder if he's going to be fit for the weekend? :rock:

Would be nice to see an open game and some goals, probably a tight 0-0 snoozefest.

Obviously not a qualifier but didn't think it was worth it's own topic.

Anyone bothered about the England game tonight, at least in the dutch we have a decent opposition to make it somewhat worthwhile, still think it's utter madness playing a friendly 3 days before the start of the domestic season though.

Hopefully Robbo gets to start and can play a full game, he's earnt it in my opinion and is every bit as good as the other english goalkeepers, he hasn't had chance to prove himself for a while and should be rewarded with the chance. Probably come on in the second half, Boo-urns!

No surprises to see Gerrard had to pull out, wonder if he's going to be fit for the weekend? :rock:

Would be nice to see an open game and some goals, probably a tight 0-0 snoozefest.

Greens starting, Robbo is on the bench.... again

Doesn't surprise me like I said, probably come on as a sub in the second half.

Surely Green's shown what he can do in the last couple of friendlies, Robbo should have got the chance from the start even if he came off at half time.

or we could hope green breaks his finger during warm up :lol:

Looking at the team I still as most perhaps naive fans think that we have all the makings of a good team and have a realistic chance of having a good go at winning the world cup, at least getting to the semi finals, but I'm starting to worry about our strikers to an extent.

Rooney is obviously the standout top striker that we have with none of the others being close to him.

Then the rest all have their strengths but are certainly limited in what they can do, Heskey is like Jason Roberts but a slightly better finisher which certainly doesn't say a lot, Walcott and Defoe have some pace and can finish but are the complete opposite of Heskey's physical prowess and work rate. When England don't have the ball with Walcott or Defoe playing with all due respect it's like having ten men. Crouch perhaps has the best all round game over the others but I'm not sure if he's international class, it's well documented that most of his international goals are scored against weaker nations.

Carlton Cole, decent but nothing special again, not too different to Heskey. Owen still has it to prove. Other options I guess are everyone's favourite Davies, the never fit Ashton, Bent who again doesn't have much of an allround game but give him the chances and he can score.

I guess in some ways you could say we have strikers who are all good in their own situation, perhaps Heskey, Crouch playing in the more difficult away games and then one of the quicker goalscorers in the easier games.

I know some are decent but I remember ten years ago or so when we had Shearer, Sheringham, Fowler, Wright, Ferdinand, Beardlsey, Cole all trying to get in the team at the same time, probably missing a few top players out as well.

Anyway after that random rant I better actually watch the game.

Top work Rio!!!

• Backroom

It made me laugh how the press were talking up an Owen recall before the squad was announced just because he signed for United, its laughable really

I though Beckham had hairier arms than a Gorilla until I saw in close up that his arms are covered in tatoos. Classy eh?

btw Lampard looks a little 'heavy' for international football nowadays.

Ha! Great minds eh pks?

2 goals by Peds tonight by the way, Hope he can bring that form to the prem! Anyone remember when he scored 10 goals and 8 assists in his second year? A while ago now! Better than his one goal last year.

2 very very good goals! Albeit against a Scotland that would struggle in the championship.

Looking at the team I still as most perhaps naive fans think that we have all the makings of a good team and have a realistic chance of having a good go at winning the world cup, at least getting to the semi finals, but I'm starting to worry about our strikers to an extent.

The problem is that we don't really have anyone coming through either. We only took two recognised strikers to Euro 2009 - Agbonlahor and Fraizer Campbell.

I though Beckham had hairier arms than a Gorilla until I saw in close up that his arms are covered in tatoos. Classy eh?

btw Lampard looks a little 'heavy' for international football nowadays.

Ha! Great minds eh pks?

2 very very good goals! Albeit against a Scotland that would struggle in the championship.

haha exactly!

The problem is that we don't really have anyone coming through either. We only took two recognised strikers to Euro 2009 - Agbonlahor and Fraizer Campbell.

Definitely agree with you, forgot to follow on my point with that, I think there are certainly weaknesses in our attack at the moment, I don't think other than Rooney you could class any of the others than anything better than a 'decent striker, good at best'.

Then as you say the people coming through don't look quite up to it yet either, Agbonlahor perhaps has a good a chance as anyone but seems to go a bit hot and cold. Derbs might end up getting in if he scores for fun in Greece!

Beckham is looking our standout player so far in my opinion, most of our good attacking play has gone through him, funny(As they just mentioned on ITV) how after the wolly with the brolly dropped him, Bentley, Lennon, Wright Phillips etc have all had a chance to make the position their own but none seem to be able to completley dislodge him.

Archived