BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Preview: Manchester United (october 4, Ewood Park, 17:30)

ManicRover

The booing of Andrews, if it happened, was probably aimed as much at the manager as at the player. We needed strikers on at that time, not a one - for - one midfield replacement.

I think your probably spot on there Den, Andrews is not the type of player fans want to see coming on against a class United team.

It was like throwing the white towel into the ring.

Am I reading this wrong or are supporters actually agreeing with the manager that we can't beat or even compete with teams such as United?

I buy my season ticket every year with this fixture in mind, I look forward to it like no other. I want to see passion, commitment and fire. I want to see the big boys get roughed up I want to see them under pressure, forced into mistakes and I want to see us impose our game on them.

What I saw Saturday, apart from the opening 15 mins or so did not even come close but the most disappointing thing for me bar none was the resigned attitude of Paul Ince after the game.

I go to Rovers glorifying in our 'us against the world' mentality. I love the fact that we've won the league and the Carling Cup. I love the fact that we're a small town club that's done it on the big stage. I love it that so called big clubs hate us and envy us in the same measure, yet post match all I hear is that we can't compete, sorry guys that's the way it is.

It's defeatist, it's short sighted and (if you look at our previous successes against the so called big 4) it's plain wrong.

Football fans of any club need to be allowed to dream, comments of the like heard after the game on Saturday only serve to kill that dream, and if the dream is dead then so is the game.

Another spot on post LD Rover, thats what were about what us fans expect upsetting the big boys especially at home, I dread the Chelsea and Liverpoool games .

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I reading this wrong or are supporters actually agreeing with the manager that we can't beat or even compete with teams such as United?

I buy my season ticket every year with this fixture in mind, I look forward to it like no other. I want to see passion, commitment and fire. I want to see the big boys get roughed up I want to see them under pressure, forced into mistakes and I want to see us impose our game on them.

What I saw Saturday, apart from the opening 15 mins or so did not even come close but the most disappointing thing for me bar none was the resigned attitude of Paul Ince after the game.

I go to Rovers glorifying in our 'us against the world' mentality. I love the fact that we've won the league and the Carling Cup. I love the fact that we're a small town club that's done it on the big stage. I love it that so called big clubs hate us and envy us in the same measure, yet post match all I hear is that we can't compete, sorry guys that's the way it is.

It's defeatist, it's short sighted and (if you look at our previous successes against the so called big 4) it's plain wrong.

Football fans of any club need to be allowed to dream, comments of the like heard after the game on Saturday only serve to kill that dream, and if the dream is dead then so is the game.

if carlsburg wrote on message boards this would probably how they would do it.Its a sad state footballs in when the manager says we cant win against the big boys.If i was gay id probably kiss you for this post :P but im not so i wont.

I want to see passion, commitment and fire. I want to see the big boys get roughed up

We need to play the ladies team to do that :P

Seriously we'd have ended up with less than 11. Tackling MU players is not allowed, you ought to know that ;)

so instead aggy you would rather us roll over and play dead? ;)

No, non contact football is turning me off the game. I was a defender, I like to see tackles but it seems the powers that be are determined to outlaw them. Getting 'stuck into teams' is no longer an option.

I know it stinks but that's the way it's going. The teams with the better footballers win. No hope for the smaller clubs. Damn. I'm making this my last season :lol:

Spot on again LD.

As I said earlier, the day that I believe we can't compete in a one-off game, at home, with any team in our own division, is the day I pack it in.

I go to Rovers glorifying in our 'us against the world' mentality. I love the fact that we've won the league and the Carling Cup. I love the fact that we're a small town club that's done it on the big stage. I love it that so called big clubs hate us and envy us in the same measure.

I couldnt agree more with this, im not argreeing we cant compete with them, I just feel at the moment, this & the Arsenal game came too soon for us in terms of being able to compete with them. We dont have the players at the moment who can battle and get in your face.

We miss a combative midfielder and our wingers aint the greatest outlets right now. Add to that all the injuries and losing your star player early on and it makes it very difficult. I know its no excuse for the players who did play, but I just couldnt see anything else prior to the game.

For me the tactics were wrong, we tried playing too many softer players (Derbyshire, Tugay, Pedersen). Seriously how much of in-your-face football are you likely to get from them 3!?

Im sure Ince will get it right and im sure that Grella & Villanueva when fit/ ready will improve our midfield greatly.

:rover: writing this before i read anyone else's view off the match.

utd 1st goal should never have stood,but we have gained 4 pts this season through bad decisions by the officials so things even out.

once santa went off we were never in the game.he must not be allowed to go to south america this week.

i have never heard the rovers fans so quite

why were they leaving with 25 minutes left

i understand why ince played pedersen,but the guy is not good enough

if oojer is not a centre back agianst bolton i will cry,ronaldo never touched the ball 1st half,changed wings and tore ollson apart. :brfc:

:rover: just read the previous posts and i think i will go for a lie down,i thought we were playing man utd on saturday not bolton wanderers.utd had 4 players on the pitch,that individually are worth more than the rovers team.it's a uneven playing field and untill paul ince can have HIS TEAM on the pitch it will remain so.he has given young players a chance,and this will give the lads in the academy a boost,under hughes we played anybody but young players,the future bright :unsure::brfc:

Spot on again LD.

As I said earlier, the day that I believe we can't compete in a one-off game, at home, with any team in our own division, is the day I pack it in.

Yes - but do you believe that Ince would be satisfied with anything less than full commitment from any of his players? He can admit that we were second best on the day - and we were by some distance - but does he accept it as inevitable.... I don't think so! This is Paul Ince we are talking about.....he has never settled for second best and I don't see him starting now.

:rover: just read the previous posts and i think i will go for a lie down,i thought we were playing man utd on saturday not bolton wanderers.utd had 4 players on the pitch,that individually are worth more than the rovers team.it's a uneven playing field and untill paul ince can have HIS TEAM on the pitch it will remain so.he has given young players a chance,and this will give the lads in the academy a boost,under hughes we played anybody but young players,the future bright :unsure::brfc:

Not only that but any 2 of those 4 players would buy you our club and leave you enough for some transfer activity. Makes you think doesn't it? Ronaldo plus Tevez say buys you ewood, Brockhall, all our players and academy with cash to spare.

Not only that but any 2 of those 4 players would buy you our club and leave you enough for some transfer activity. Makes you think doesn't it? Ronaldo plus Tevez say buys you ewood, Brockhall, all our players and academy with cash to spare.

Sorry but did we not beat them 4 - 3 in 2005 (I think) with Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy and Ferdinand playing? Mind you, the attitude and commitment was spot on that night.

Sorry but did we not beat them 4 - 3 in 2005 with Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy and Ferdinand playing? Mind you, the attitude and commitment was spot on that night.

I didn't say we didn't beat them. Was just thinking about money not connecting it to any poor performance.

Sorry but did we not beat them 4 - 3 in 2005 (I think) with Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy and Ferdinand playing? Mind you, the attitude and commitment was spot on that night.

I think the team we played against on Saturday would beat the Man Utd team of 2005 quite easily.

Ronaldo now is so much better now it's unreal.

Yes, of course, it was one of our most exciting and memorable matches of recent years. But for every one of those you mention, I can reply with a Larissa or a Coventry or an Arsenal youth team or a last game of the season "Europe or bust" Birmingham debacle.

Don't kid yourself..........Hughes produced his fair share of crap.

To read the comments that the performance on Saturday is a result of Man Utd moving onto a new untouchable level, is unbelievable.

C'mon guys, get real. What happened during the Arsenal home drubbing, - is that down to Arsenals' improvement as well?

Yes, of course, it was one of our most exciting and memorable matches of recent years. But for every one of those you mention, I can reply with a Larissa or a Coventry or an Arsenal youth team or a last game of the season "Europe or bust" Birmingham debacle.

Don't kid yourself..........Hughes produced his fair share of crap.

Not saying he didn't Tony, in fact I was of the opinion that Hughes's shelf life as Rovers manager was at it's end.

The only point I'm trying to make is that we have competed before despite the gap in investment.

Archived