BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Preview: Manchester United (october 4, Ewood Park, 17:30)

ManicRover

I agree with Tris, Parsonblue and gumboots. I'm not blindly supporting Ince but I'm certainly not prepared to read some of the vitriol heaped on Ince on here without comment. I wasn't impressed with the team performance on Saturday, something I've said elsewhere, but neither was it the total and abject capitulation some are indicating. United were brilliant, that was acknowledged by many people on Saturday evening and on Sunday in the papers.

The fact that some people just decide to beat Ince with any stick they can (Carlos story in the Mail for example, Andrews signing when he's turned out to be decent enough, Brad leaving, Bentley leaving, I could go on...) gets my back up because it just goes against the idea of fair play and giving someone a chance.

I think a fair few of us are asking people on here to give Ince a chance before writing him off or just using anything to attack his credibility.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
92er said it, - last Saturday's performance against Man Utd was the worst he'd [and me] seen since Utd scored 5 second half goals against us at Ewood in the sixties.

?

Watched that match from the old Riverside Stand and it still haunts me to this day. United and Denis law in particular were brilliant.

I don't think Rovers were quite as bad on Saturday but United were almost as good as that 1966 team.

Hope it's not an omen but if my old memory serves correctly Rovers were relegated that season.

I was working with a real life red manc,gobsmacked comes to mind i know.His view was that we played dead and we let utd win and we were gutless.He also said he had never seen a rovers team like that in all our top flight days.

I was working with a real life red manc,gobsmacked comes to mind i know.His view was that we played dead and we let utd win and we were gutless.He also said he had never seen a rovers team like that in all our top flight days.

I don't suppose he was trying to wind you up by any chance?

• Backroom
I was working with a real life red manc,gobsmacked comes to mind i know.

WOW! Abbs... I hope you framed him quick and stuck him on your wall ... He'll be worth a fortune being the only one in existance !!!!!! :lol::P

Watched it wh a table full of them (all in exile down here, so on the telly - obviously) but general concensus was that considering we had a severely weakened team (ie, two full backs and a 40 year old in midfield), there was no shame in the result.

We had a few lucky escapes, but also made some half decent chances which is more than many other teams do against that lot.

We've played better, we've played much much worse, but a 2-0 defeat considering a perfectly timed dubious goal (perfect as far as motivation killing goes) wasn't exactly embarrasing.

I agree that we need more in future, but the amount of games where that cannot be said under any manager for any club, are few and far between. If we want to get technical, i'd (and my table of companions hinted at) give us a C+ for that - Must try harder, but there is quality and a decent side bubbling under the surface here - Given time i'm positive about the chances of us seeing that under the current manager.

Watched that match from the old Riverside Stand and it still haunts me to this day. United and Denis law in particular were brilliant.

I don't think Rovers were quite as bad on Saturday but United were almost as good as that 1966 team.

Hope it's not an omen but if my old memory serves correctly Rovers were relegated that season.

I was on the Riverside, but not in the stand!

It was 1965 and we were relegated the following season. We played them towards the end of the season, with our first Australian international keeper playing for us. We lost about 1-4 and I didn't go.

It was 1965 and we were relegated the following season. We played them towards the end of the season, with our first Australian international keeper playing for us. We lost about 1-4 and I didn't go.

I was on the riverside as well, third post along, as always.

The goalkeeper you mention would be John Roberts.

I have watched the game again on Sultana. It's rubbish to say we didn't try. Ronaldo had a shocker against Ooijar. Andrews pass to Roberts in the last moments was a killer pass fit to win any game, absolute class. Took Vidic AND Ferdinand out in one ball. Emerton ran more than any Utd player and Warnock's tackling and passing was awesome to say were playing the so called European Champions.

United got on top of us (because we had passengers and they didn't) and we weren't prepared to get stuck in and break bones (like under Hughes). Trying to be organised, keep and pass the ball may have been the wrong tactic against Utd but AT LEAST Ince was brave enough. Adopting this policy in time will reap rewards in confidence and experience. What do Rovers and Mokeona leanr kickig lumps out of Scholes? I'll give you the answer. A Premier League team lacking in skill and finesse, one unable to qualify for Europe every season and who regularly flounder, Coventry, Larrissa, Wigan, Birmingham and who stutter regularly (like all home games last season)

Good to see some perspective. Ince in first 8 games is doing better than Hughes. So stop moaning and start singing!

Can't be bothered checking but I thought it was 0-4. We lost 1-4 at home to Lpool same season too I think. (Harrison Pen) :(

I have watched the game again on Sultana. It's rubbish to say we didn't try. Ronaldo had a shocker against Ooijar. Andrews pass to Roberts in the last moments was a killer pass fit to win any game, absolute class. Took Vidic AND Ferdinand out in one ball. Emerton ran more than any Utd player and Warnock's tackling and passing was awesome to say were playing the so called European Champions.

United got on top of us (because we had passengers and they didn't) and we weren't prepared to get stuck in and break bones (like under Hughes). Trying to be organised, keep and pass the ball may have been the wrong tactic against Utd but AT LEAST Ince was brave enough. Adopting this policy in time will reap rewards in confidence and experience. What do Rovers and Mokeona leanr kickig lumps out of Scholes? I'll give you the answer. A Premier League team lacking in skill and finesse, one unable to qualify for Europe every season and who regularly flounder, Coventry, Larrissa, Wigan, Birmingham and who stutter regularly (like all home games last season)

Good to see some perspective. Ince in first 8 games is doing better than Hughes. So stop moaning and start singing!

Those are my thoughts also.

The fact that this time it didn't work against Man Utd is a bad thing. But if we continue to try and play the way Ince wants the play, against most Premiership teams we should prosper.

We are trying to play football the "right" way and in the end we will be loved for it.

The best way to analysis it for me is for years we try to bring those top 4 clubs down to 'our' level to compete while this time we tried to match them at theirs.

Madness? yes. Right direction? yes

Some will be surprise to see how many yellows we accumulated against utd and gunners as compared to last time.

The result is disappointing I agree, but the performance is no where gutless. Not first half and second before the 2nd goal went in. The team chased every ball

and closed them down as much as possible even at the front which almost got us rewards during first half.

Some heads went down after that second goal went in which I hate to see and don't want to point out but hope I won't see them next game. :angry:

Harsh weather as it drains their energy even more and the lost of our talisman at the start of second half didn't help our cause also.

But I think the approach to our games under Ince is one thing some need accustom to as we are now setup to 'play' football and not 'kick' football. :rolleyes:

Emerton ran more than any Utd player

Trying to be organised, keep and pass the ball may have been the wrong tactic against Utd but AT LEAST Ince was brave enough.

He certainly did - running after the ball but not getting anywhere near a UTD player or the ball - what's the point? -didn't do anything of worthy note during the game like nearly all the team.

Its the wrong tactic regardless of who you are playing if you don't progress or do anything with the ball, and what happens when you don't have the ball - exactly what we all so on Saturday and would have if we had been playing Hull/ Stoke /Citeh / Bolton or anybody.

What people are missing is we have seen this last season when Ince was not here - questions have to be asked about the players in all this also - and we know which ones they are.

Those are my thoughts also.

The fact that this time it didn't work against Man Utd is a bad thing. But if we continue to try and play the way Ince wants the play, against most Premiership teams we should prosper.

We are trying to play football the "right" way and in the end we will be loved for it.

To make these comments in the Man Utd post match chat is completely misleading.

There was NOTHING "positive", or "attacking" or "right" about rovers tactics or performance on Saturday. Other games maybe, but not this one. One man up, with the rest 20 or 30 yards behind, no pressure on their back four or midfield is purely defensive stuff. No defending from the front or wingers/full backs forcing their full backs to defend.

Call Hughes for playing boring football if you like, but it was never as accepting of defeat as this was. Hopefully it was a one-off.

To make these comments in the Man Utd post match chat is completely misleading.

There was NOTHING "positive", or "attacking" or "right" about rovers tactics or performance on Saturday. Other games maybe, but not this one. One man up, with the rest 20 or 30 yards behind, no pressure on their back four or midfield is purely defensive stuff. No defending from the front or wingers/full backs forcing their full backs to defend.

Call Hughes for playing boring football if you like, but it was never as accepting of defeat as this was. Hopefully it was a one-off.

Thats rubbish. Andrews high up robbing two united players and playing a killer pass - watch it again! Warnock when he robbed utd up the field, fed RSC pushed up to receive the feedback ahead of utds midfield and pushing the return into the path of Cruz whose shot at the near post was saved. Or the ball that fed Derbyshire. Those three incidents lone were at the beginning middle and end and all could have resulted in goals playing good football. You're talking rubbish. Sorry. You must not have been at the game (or camped down in the bar drowning the Paul Ince blues).

I thought that Andrews pass after robbing the two United players was superb. A mark of how good Andrews may turn out to be...

And how many people on here said he was rubbish when he came on!!! I agree with CrazyIvan. the critics....Laughable. Specsavers - 2 for 1 is all I can say. Like BBB (Bold Blind B*stard) Bennett, you're as laughable as him. And like him you might watch the vid again but decide not to come out and say sorry! Andrews did ok.

When you play the European Champions you're going to be doing a lot of backing off, defending, back peddling, put under pressure. That's why Rovers didn't attack as much as we would all like. Stop using the Utd game as an opportunity to bash Ince! Support the Rovers!

is this a joke or just another deluded thought?

We won the league playing amazing football and alls we got was ripped.

1.itv news did a piece on us winning the title and they had playing in the background cash till registars and pink floyds "money".

2.we were nicknamed "cashburn rovers"

3.the papers reported us as not winning the league but utd losing it.

3.we didnt win the league we "bought" it.

4.everyone involved in media,perhaps not everyone but 90%, hated us for beating utd to the post.

the only people happy for us were the abu fans and thats all.

Archived