BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Chelsea Match Preview

could'nt disagree more, can't remember us playing well or winning when conditions are terrible. Instead of being a great leveller i thought the conditions suited the team with better technical qualities and really showed up the players who even on a sunny day struggle to find another man with a pass.........would of been the humane thing to take pedersen outide and shoot him after the match, its hard to watch the deterioration and not do something. Tempted to say the same of roberts but the fellas never had talent to lose.

Grimsby, on a Tuesday night (under Souness) when Eyal Berky had a simply superb game. The pundits often rave about midweek games up North catching up with some of the more continental, luxurious, skillful players, but as ever it's the team that copes with conditions better.

After all, both teams have to play on the same pitch don't they? IT is a great leveller, but Chelsea coped with it better - we didn't seem to allow for the ball 'standing up' and nearly got caught short passing back on occasion.

However, as Rovers played better in the second when the rain eased up, does it mean we're now just a sunny weather side?

Bottom line - the team that wins the right to play their game, often wins it. No change in conditions would have changed our chances of winning yesterday more than shooting/scoring more.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Grimsby just says it all!!, Derbyshire is not good enough for the prem and its about time people realise it as well.

I totally agree. If he was from anywhere else but Blackburn many others would too. He isn't going to improve much more he is 22 already!

I thought Andrews was playing with a hamstring injury.

Have you all decided he is not good enough even though he scored in the last game because he didn't play brilliant against the Premiership and European runners up whilst carrying an injury?

Pathetic.

Hardly bucky.... it's the middle of November and he's been here 3 months. Lets face it Andrews is not of Prem quality. We have finished the past 3 years in the top half of the Prem and he is simply NOT a top half player. By buying him (and Fowler) we have worsened the squad quality. btw I do realise that he is only a makeweight and with everyone fit he would get nowhere near the first team. I just hope his remuneration reflects that.

btw

Hamstring injury? I thought that was Grella.

Hardly bucky.... it's the middle of November and he's been here 3 months. Lets face it Andrews is not of Prem quality. We have finished the past 3 years in the top half of the Prem and he is simply NOT a top half player. By buying him (and Fowler) we have worsened the squad quality. btw I do realise that he is only a makeweight and with everyone fit he would get nowhere near the first team. I just hope his remuneration reflects that.

btw

He's in the Ireland squad so someone else must think he's a bit better than most here do. And before you say it I do know that not all the Ireland squad are premiership players or quality

btw

IMO Andrews has shown already that he is capable of being at the very least a solid PL player. If Reid, Aaron.M were deemed PL quality midfield players then I am more than happy to give Andrews a little time to adjust to the league.

Den mentnioned that Andrews hobbled out of the ground with Grella.

Lets face it Andrews is not of Prem quality.

I think he is. There were times on Sunday where his passing was the only highlight. He's a lot better than some people on here want to make out. He's most certainly not playing out of his depth at this level.

I think he is. There were times on Sunday where his passing was the only highlight. He's a lot better than some people on here want to make out. He's most certainly not playing out of his depth at this level.

He is better than I thought he would be and I said give him a chance.

It is no surprise that the people who think he is rubbish (probably the ones that boo him) are the same people who were so aghast that we were signing somebody from the lower leagues and used it as a stick to beat the manager with.

They are hardly going to turn round and admit that we have got at least (he has only played a few games, still adjusting) a decent Premier league central midfielder, who in our current injury crisis is going to have a job to.

You were even jeering him when he shot over the bar inside the opening thirty seconds for crying out loud!!!

And your reaction just 2 minutes or so later was exactly the same as HIS (Andrews) and the rest of the Rovers team, home crowd and management, when we all threw our hands into our faces and shouted as one "WTF HAVE I DONE THAT FOR?".

And for the record it wasnt a jeer it was a sarcastic comment aimed as a bit of encouragement ;)

He is better than I thought he would be and I said give him a chance.

It is no surprise that the people who think he is rubbish (probably the ones that boo him) are the same people who were so aghast that we were signing somebody from the lower leagues and used it as a stick to beat the manager with.

They are hardly going to turn round and admit that we have got at least (he has only played a few games, still adjusting) a decent Premier league central midfielder, who in our current injury crisis is going to have a job to.

Andrews has surprised me in many ways - and other than the odd match not really looked out of his depth.

For me he has given Rovers a number of plus points -

1. Without doubt we would at least get our money back

2. Given our current midfield injury woes, we would be lost without him

3. He looks as though - just possibly he could make the grade (would be more confident if he were younger - but I wouldn't discount him yet).

For anyone that boos him - it amazes me - obviously people would rather shatter his confidence - see Rovers effectively play with 10 players and lose matches - rather than give their whole hearted support to Rovers. IMO anyone that boos a player before he has even kicked a ball may as well go and support Burnley - because you are doing more to bring Rovers down than any Burnley fan ever did.

Disagree with these assertions.

Our defence has got significantly worse under Ince.

Our defence has got better under Ince. Instead of defending deep (as Dunn said), we push out. We NEVER mopped up offside now we pick up 2 or 3 a game, something I wanted to see from Hughes' team but sadly never did. Set pieces. DEN/TONYGALESMIC -= Do you want me to reel off last seasons EMBARRASSING STATS under Mark Hughes. It was obvious last September there were MAJOR problems and Hughes did SFA. Now Ince has done something. And dropping Samba too. And Warnock (the LB responsible for all 4 goals against Arsenal - not the only shocker he has had at LB!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Picking Olson who is much better defensively than Warnock.

QUOTE CHOSEN ONE.

Some people on here are clueless beyond words, how can anyone say Pedersen was useless today? He was easily one of our best outfield players.

Not too disheartened at the result we played well in patches and got beat by the team top of the league and only beaten in the champions leaguie final on pens last year.

A few notes:

Mokoena was solid when he came on

Derbyshire isbn't and never will be a right winger (i'm starting to think he sin't good enough in any role to be honest)

Zurab was solid

Ince made the right choice today re: formation

Sadly Roberts just isn't up to the job (i wonder what people would have to say about him if he was an Ince signing)

The ref was useless i'll give this one a miss

Edit: Also Lampard is a tool

END QUOTE

Agree with everything you say there 'the chosen one' well said.

Robinson 8 - Made a couple of really world-class saves, it could have so easily been 3 or 4-0 to Chelsea in the first half. Got to question why he didn't just go back and pick up the ball that was rolling tamely into the net for the first goal though, you should always play to the whistle. That may be a bit harsh since he was our best player on the day without doubt.

Simpson 5 - Thought he was beaten too easily on a number of ocassions and his crossing leaves a lot to be desired.

Nelsen 6 - A steady but not spectucular game from the Admiral.

Zurab 7 - Definately an improvement on Samba in my opinion, made some good headed clearences.

Olsson 6 - Got a forward quite a lot, but left us exposed on a number of ocassions due this. But he did put in some good tackles and on the whole he played well.

Villanueva 5 - Some neat touches at times but for me he lacks the pace to actually take the ball on and run at defenders, also tries to do too much at times for me. Good work rate though and if not for a wonderful save form Cech he'd have had his first Premiership goal.

Grella 4 - Obviously wasn't fully fit, did nothing of note.

Andrews 5 - Tale of two passes really, one rather awful back pass that nearly cost us a goal and another sublime pass that set up the wonderful chance for Carlos.

Warnock 6 - Always going to get a good shift from Warnock. He tackled and hassled Chelsea players all day. Silly booking to pick up though.

Pedersen 7 - Yes he still mis-controlled the ball and lost possession on a number of occassion but this was Morten's best performance in well over a year I'd say. He actually seemed willing to get stuck in and won a good nuber of tackles during the game as well as some decent run forward and passes. Probably shouldn't have got MOTM ahead of Robbo but no doubting that this is the Morten we want to be seeming every week.

Roberts 3 - Terry and Alex had him in their back pockets. Although Roberts did get one chance which he eventually fluffed in typcial Roberts fashion. A higher class of striker would have turned and smashed that in with one movement or would have be aware of the oncoming keeper and lifted the ball over him. That was ultimately the difference between the two sides Chelsea have Le Sulk a Premiership class striker and we had Roberts who's more of a Championship class striker.

---------------------------

Mokoena 7 - I don't often say this but I was mightly impressed with the Axe when he came on today. He looked composed on the ball and made some good interceptions.

Derbyshire 2 - He's not a right winger! saying that he might as well as have been on the bench for the amount of times he touched the ball.

Fowler 3 - No, just no. We might as well as chucked Samba upfront he'd have caused a bigger threat.

Agree with all of the above... We just need a Bellamy type player to compliment our attack.

Two words: - Depressingly familiar.

That describes the result yesterday and the inevitable reaction on here. We played well in the second half and if chances had been taken by us then we might have gotten a draw against a team in top form. Not saying we would have but we might since Robbo was immense... We are in a bit of sh@te right now, nobody will deny that but we're not down and out. There are 13 or 14 teams in EXACTLY the same boat. A couple of good results and we climb right out. A couple of bad results and we slide right down. It's time to get behind the manager and the team.

Anybody saying Andrews isn't good enough for this league needs to have their eyes tested. I'll say no more.

There are a group of people on here for whom change is obviously very hard to deal with. Hughes leaves and he is the messiah departed. Ince arrives and he is the devil incarnate. Neither is true and neither is the opposite view. Hughes has GONE so give that one a rest now. Ince is here so your support of him and the team wouldn't go amiss. I'm not one for denying people the right to have their say but some harp on and on and on ad nausem. They have nothing good or new to say so repeat the same old same old over and over. It gets boring. Genuine comment on the games and the performances are sadly lacking from these people. Everything is tarred with the same brush. Something positive about Ince once in a while would be nice to read from them so we know they are actually paying attention but I've not seen it yet.

ttfn

I don;t agree with that. Hughes was taking this club down the toilet. Bentley, Dunn and RSC rescued last season. We were giving a way far too many goals. Defending so deep Nelsen might have been sat in Row 20 of the Blackburn End. It was shambolic and he didn;t have the bottle to sort it and did one. Like I said. Hughes was on borrowed time. This season I despaired that more of Hughes is rubbish served up all last season (I even went to Larissa and saw that shambles) would get us relegated. I make no bones. He's gone I'm glad. Ince can save us but it will take time.

:lol: Thats a joke right?

Andrews was completely out of his depth yesterday and thats that! He was largely to blame for the 1st goal by allowing bosingwa to advance 10 yards completely unchallenged and into striking distance before ducking out of the way of the shot that he could and should have headed clear. Chicken / soft arse call him what you want but we were 0-1 down!

At one point in the 1st half our entire midfield were wrong side of Chelseas midfield with them carrying it forward to

the edge of our box and toward our beleagerd defence. The worst aspect af this being that all 3 they were simply JOGGING back. :angry: I nearly burst a blood vessel whilst Ince looked on completely unconcerned!

I went to West Brom Went v Chelsea. Andrews was way of the pace. GET REAL!!!!!! He's just made a step up - give him a chance for christs sake. He has good touch, good vision and plays forward... He will come good and bare in mind he was not a £4m signing. If he was a bad signing what was an unknown from DC United and a centre half from the well known Belgium team - "mmmmbelgiumchocalateisnice". Were they crap signings because they came from poor clubs?

And at West Brom we undeservedly fought back to gain an undeserved draw? Was that capitulation??

How on earth anyone can say we've improved defensively (or at all) is downright hilarious! :lol:

Andrews is no improvement on Vogel or Mokoena, so for me he's a waste of money. I think the problem is people are underestimating his performances. Sure, he can string some passes together and have the odd shot, but overall he's not good enough sorry, and at 28 years of age his potential is practically non-existent.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, Bucky.

Our squad didn't need a lower league journeyman. Ince just brought the guy in for the sake of it. To think Andrews gets chosen ahead of Vogel shows how far this club has fell. I'm not saying Vogel is a superstar, but he's played for Milan and did well for us in a brief spell. Andrews didn't even make in Division 1!

I thought Andrews played ok, apart from the obvious backpass. A couple of very good passing and moving, creating space and trying to make an opening. He will never be the best in the premiership but given what we had and his price tag, I have too say I am an Andrews convert. At least he isn't afraid to try something, even if it doesn't work at times.

How on earth anyone can say we've improved defensively (or at all) is downright hilarious! :lol:

Andrews is no improvement on Vogel or Mokoena, so for me he's a waste of money. I think the problem is people are underestimating his performances. Sure, he can string some passes together and have the odd shot, but overall he's not good enough sorry, and at 28 years of age his potential is practically non-existent.

Vogel and Mokoena are holding midfielders whereas Andrews is more of a box-to-box midfielder so it would be unfair to compare them really.

Andrews is definately an improvement on Reid in my opinion, who was terrible in the games he played before he picked up yet another injury. Talking of injuries I think getting Dunny back playing could be vital to our season, he is byfar and away our best central midfielder in my opinion.

..... Ince just brought the guy in for the sake of it. .....

Interesting concept - care to elaborate?

It's not the first time I've heard it, but more often than not it's some ignoramus down the pub who's never been to a game. You however, post frequently, well and intelligently so I'd been to keen to hear your take on it please?

So Ince just said, tell you what Keithy, I'll bring you to Blackburn give you a good contract, let you get a Bentley - no one will make the obvious assumption, surely? :D

Let's be charitable and agree that Andrews wouldn't get near the first team is everyone was fit.

We were slightly better than against United and Arsenal, with the majority of Rovers players fighting for every ball, but we have no penetration to our play, we are weak down the flanks and there's little pattern to our play.

I'd have thought, taking into account the conditions, more balls into the channels with Derbyshire and Roberts putting the Chelsea defence under pressure might have paid dividends. Instead we played all of football in front of their back four.

There was little positive to take out of the game, Robinson's performance being an obvious exception. Events are conspiring against Paul Ince, and he needs to get lucky pretty quickly. He also needs to cut out the stupid post-match outbursts.

I fear the clock is ticking on Ince's stewardship, I want to be proved wrong, but we are looking a shambles at the moment.

So Ince just said, tell you what Keithy, I'll bring you to Blackburn give you a good contract, let you get a Bentley - no one will make the obvious assumption, surely? :D

He did the same with Fowler. He also brought along Ray Mathias, an assistant with bags of top-level experience...not, and sounded out buddy Andy Cole for a coaching role too.

I'm not saying Andrews is woeful, but there's nothing that suggests to me that he's any better than Vogel. And like I said before, if he was younger I'd be more optimistic but he's in his late twenties. I guess some people are just accepting our little team tag now, not Uefa Cup competitors. Because that's what we were before Ince came along.

........ I want to be proved wrong .....

Seriously? I don't think you do. Seems you'd rather be proved right even if it's to the clubs detriment.

Don't worry, it's not just you :o

He did the same with Fowler. He also brought along Ray Mathias, an assistant with bags of top-level experience...not, and sounded out buddy Andy Cole for a coaching role too.

More lack of evidence? Sounds like a diatribe, and a cheap shot. Sigh - expected more....

BTW, Archie Knox drives a lovely Q7 which we're clearly all paying for. Just thought would let you know so you can add that to your vitriolic campaign.

Why compare Andrews to Vogel, why not compare him to Robinson too, as it's an 'apples and pears' argument, is it not? Andrews was a squad signing and is a type of player we don't have at the club.

I'm not saying he's a superstar, but he's far from the donkey people made him out to be.

Still waiting for you to justify your comment about he was brought in for the 'sake of it'?

I guess some people are just accepting our little team tag now, not Uefa Cup competitors. Because that's what we were before Ince came along.

I have no idea where you were before you "came along" to this MB in July 2008 according to your info on the left.

But I do know that every single post you have ever made is to the detriment of BRFC. What motivated you to join up exactly?

Our squad didn't need a lower league journeyman. Ince just brought the guy in for the sake of it. To think Andrews gets chosen ahead of Vogel shows how far this club has fell. I'm not saying Vogel is a superstar, but he's played for Milan and did well for us in a brief spell. Andrews didn't even make in Division 1!

Interesting to see how Ince shows his favouritism. When we have 7 first teamers out injured, he subs one of his darlings at halftime and brings the other on for 10 mins as effectively 5th choice striker, both on national television. If that's favouritism, I wouldn't like to get on his bad side.

And if you think Andrews and Vogel are interchangeable, the gap between our striker and midfield would reach 60 yard plus.

Archived