BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Train Station For Rovers

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anybody remember Jack wanting to build one ???

It would be useful if the club could have another go at trying to building one with the amount of congestion outside the ground.

Any thoughts???

If enough people turned up on match day, it might be worth the club's expense. I suspect it would only really benefit away fans though. There's a platform at Mill Hill which isn't that far to walk. The current congestion could be a lot worse. A non-starter for me at the moment.

It's been discussed countless times before.

Apparently it's not economically viable enough for British Rail or whoever to do it or contribute towards it.

So short of Uncle Jack paying for the whole kit and kaboodle when he was alive, it's extremely unlikely to happen.

I was just thinking yesterday as I trudged to the ground that it's a pity that some of the waste land oer't river cant be levelled into terraced car parking with a sliproad directly onto Branch Road and M65 junction 4 with flights of steps / ramps down to the ground. It's fit for nothing else and since the Ewood car parks have been reduced by the gyppo park and the ludicrous tree lined boundaries Ewood has a definite shortage of parking and creates unecessary parking problems with local businesses and residents. Work with the counci and whoever owns the land to get it sorted and utilised properly and the train station might then look a lot more viable.

Commercially it might make sense as getting people to park there would mean that the pre match pie and pint would be consumed in the ground rather than in the pubs around it.

I was just thinking yesterday as I trudged to the ground that it's a pity that some of the waste land oer't river cant be levelled into terraced car parking with a sliproad directly onto Branch Road and M65 junction 4 with flights of steps / ramps down to the ground. It's fit for nothing else and since the Ewood car parks have been reduced by the gyppo park and the ludicrous tree lined boundaries Ewood has a definite shortage of parking and creates unecessary parking problems with local businesses and residents. Work with the counci and whoever owns the land to get it sorted and utilised properly and the train station might then look a lot more viable.

Commercially it might make sense as getting people to park there would mean that the pre match pie and pint would be consumed in the ground rather than in the pubs around it.

We would attract more fans as well. I think the congestion of waiting 25 mins in a set of lights in a que after the game and finding somewhere to park before the game is what puts some people off. The land as you said is used for nothing productive and the only thing in my view it is used for local residants fly tipping

Building a railway station would take those cars off the road who travel from Darwen and that way each week and put them on the rail. The trains would need to come more often between Blackburn and Darwen, more hygienic and be more reliable which is the current opposite to what they are at the moment.

There would also have to be police for several hours on the day of the match on the trains and the station if there was a team coming from the north such as Burnley, Man City and Bolton.

All minor tweaking but the club could make it viable if they wanted too.Time to get you finger out Fred

That waste land is the river darwen parkway nature reserve, which is an important ecological site.

I don't understand your arguement, how would building car parking on this land increase the viability of having a railway station there?

Why would people all of sudden what to pay for a 'pie and pint' at the ground just because they can park near, wouldn't it be just a case of them going to the nearby pubs or arriving later?

It would be a good idea having a station there but unless railtrack were to pay for it being built then it's never going to happen.

It would be useful if the club could have another go at trying to building one with the amount of congestion outside the ground.

Any thoughts???

This has been discussed over and over again -it will not happen. Even if it did - it would not be used as much as you think. Why do people not use the public transport such as buses to the ground. It is also possible to park away from ewood and bus to ewood. When I travel to Rovers from the south coast I always stay at Travelodge in darwin and use the bus to the ground - never have a problem. Ok I go early and go to the blues bar for a meal and a few pints, watch the match, go to the blues bar afterwards, and then get the bus back to darwin. I heard rovers have been putting on coaches for home games - not sure how true that is - but if this is true is it used a lot? There are ways of avoiding the congestion if a person really wanted to do so.

The manxman car park should be greatly extended with the dream being a train station which would also be a park and ride to Blackburn and Manchester during the week.

Doesn't need to be anything fancy - the one further down the line at hole in't woods is not much more than a bus shelter and some breeze blocks. It think there is a really good argument for this, not just for football but i think it would also help Highercroft as an area.

Would be better if this was Council funded. Anyone know if there is a comments and suggestions box down at Capita? Or shall i just email Challenge Anneka?

Any thoughts???

Simply there is no economic arguement to back this up. What is the purpose of a railway station used once a fortnight? There are very few trains which would work for most people. Why would I drive into Chorley, were parking is very limited on a Saturday, and costs more than the football car parks, to catch a train to Blackburm and then have to change for Ewood? Ignoring the cost of the train against the 10 mile round trip by car!!

Congestion is no worse, and probably far less, than the mid 90s and parking is easy.

As for spending more money in the ground. TBH it's going to take a lot more than easy parking to make me want to buy a pie and pint in any football ground!

Same arguements apply to building more car parks. A local shuttle coach would make some sense but that's about all.

Reading this, people keep saying there's not enought parking. That is wrong- there is loads of parking, it's just not free (which is the sub-text of most posts). And neither it should be. You try finding free parking round most football grounds. At Spurs now it's £15- or £40 if you try to find a free space and get a ticket- which you always do.

Until this season, I've had a parking space on the ground. Costs more than a season ticket, but guaranteed space and as it was on the Darwen end, you got priority from the police. This week I parked somewhere else- that side of the ground- and was in Mitton for dinner at 5.45pm I did have to negotiate hazards such as thousands of Stokies trying to get back to the bus and two police horses doing their best slow dressage walk in front of me, but still was out of there pretty quickly.

Wonder if they're going to extend car park D with that big space now the buildings have been knocked down.

That waste land is the river darwen parkway nature reserve, which is an important ecological site.

I don't understand your arguement, how would building car parking on this land increase the viability of having a railway station there?

Why would people all of sudden what to pay for a 'pie and pint' at the ground just because they can park near, wouldn't it be just a case of them going to the nearby pubs or arriving later?

It would be a good idea having a station there but unless railtrack were to pay for it being built then it's never going to happen.

why?

what goes on in there?

why?

what goes on in there?

The odd newt colony and gazillions of brown rats I'd wager. :rolleyes:

Rovgers... a station per sae would not be needed, a siding would suffice unless some obscure regulations interfere. Point being if the terraced car parks were built with access to the ground then much of the cost of a train stop would have been met.

This is the minute from the last time we discussed this at the Fans' Forum in May: -

Manchester – Blackburn train line

ND reported that there was a campaign to double up the track on the Manchester to Blackburn train line, which ran at the back of Ewood Park. Were Rovers involved in the campaign and also with the added possibility of a new station for the stadium? GC responded that the club had good relations with Blackburn council. The council, together with Lancashire County Council, Northern Trains and Jack Straw MP were all in favour. The cost of upgrade would be a relatively modest £8m-8.5m but at the moment this would have to be found locally by either the council and/or its partners.

What was clear was that there was no chance of a new station being built for Ewood Park. There was no business case for more obvious locations that the council would like to see let alone a station at Ewood.

The club and Blackburn council were working well together on other matters. The council have plans to improve the bus service between the town centre and the M65 past Ewood. If approved work would commence in 2011. Any potential park and ride scheme may need to wait for these improvements. Existing rail links to both Blackburn and Mill Hill may also be promoted more by the club.

Reading this, people keep saying there's not enought parking. That is wrong- there is loads of parking, it's just not free (which is the sub-text of most posts). And neither it should be. You try finding free parking round most football grounds. At Spurs now it's £15- or £40 if you try to find a free space and get a ticket- which you always do.

WHY should you not be allowed to park on the streets if theres no lines? if your cars taxed and parked legally theres nowt wrong in it !!!

if you got a ticket park legally!!!! as for spurs and 40 quid thats greedy londoners for you ,not in the real world.

Id use a train once every so often ,as the games i dont have my kids it means going to rishton and hoghton ,try doing that by train ,resonably.

Scotch, this thread is in the ICBiNF forum somewhere...

Personally I don't have a problem with parking... For those who are able to, park up on the roads around the Manxman and walk down (10 minutes). Easy and free...

The roads around the school and O.A.P Home are now "resident parking only" when most of them don't even have cars however most of them have booking tickets.

It ludicrous!!!!

Scotch, this thread is in the ICBiNF forum somewhere...

Personally I don't have a problem with parking... For those who are able to, park up on the roads around the Manxman and walk down (10 minutes). Easy and free...

sshh

The trains between Clitheroe and Manc are a joke, so there would be no point in building a new station until the service can actually do the job its supposed to. I don't know who is in charge of the service but im suprised he is still in a job. Maybe im just angry paying 20quid to try and take a 1 hour car trip by train, which took 4hours and i couldnt get closer then 20miles to where i wanted to go! I was lucky that i made it on the train as large numbers were left at the stations because 2 carridges arent enough!!

jan answer the question why you feel you shouldnt park for free.

Because if you don't limit the parking round houses the residents can't park there. There aren't many spaces where that wouldn't apply, and the other spaces- the ones which the club owns, should be returning a profit for the club. Land owned by others- should be up to them how much parking costs.

Archived