BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Penalties

I must say given his ability and his all round on pitch demeanour that I've never been convinced of Benny's ability from the spot. He nearly always puts it in the same place and only scores when he absolutely leathers it. Given that all gkeepers watch videos of strikers taking penalties BM must be the easiest taker in the Prem to second guess. Last nights penalty was hit at about the same speed as the last one at Ewood v Bolton when he tip-tapped it to Jussi. I thought after that debacle that he'd learned to welly them at all costs but obviously not.

So

1. If he is to be the man to step up to the spot why does he never vary and stick some in the other side ? I'm sure that it would put some to the other side to create indecision in all GK's minds? In fact why is he not ordered / coached to?

2. Who else have we that would be better? I must say (although I have obviously not seen them) that I don't think we have a natural taker other than Dunny. It's not only ability it's about bottle too. Routine training ground kicks take on a whole different identity when it's in a tight match being watched by millions. (Daft as it sounds it can very often turn out to be someone like Andrews who turns up trumps.) Whatever the staff at Brockhall need to give it some considered and regular thought in the future.

I agree,must admit though I would like to see Samba take one,just to see if it is possible to put a hole through the net with a football! :P

I think it boils down to the fact we haven`t really got that many leaders on the pitch,players with a `never say die` attitude.Dunny`s one because he has blue and white blood in him and he never gives up.For me penalties is mainly down to who has the cajones to step up to the plate,in that respect we could do with a couple of more players who are a bit more fearless.

Confidence is certainly one of the advantages, but imo it needs a player who can actually direct/strike where a ball goes with conviction and accuracy.

McCarthy is not a bad penalty taker in the scheme of things, however he is probably easy to read and predictable as you state TND as he doesn't seem to be able to vary

We have Dunny, but injuries have caught up with him - Tugay I suspect would be good except for the obvious - Pedersen is the one that stands out really (if not convincing at anything else really).

Warnock to me would be hit and miss and strikes me as only being able to hit with power

Samba - forget it

Santa- should I stay or should I go ( possibly similar in his penalties) - wouldn't say he is the most assured.

Roberts - ha ha :( -one on ones -has to think about it

Emerton - possibly but could be similar to McCarthy and he would probably be in two minds when he came to hit the ball.

Andrews possibly - but not convinicing at anything else

The only others are Sir Matt (but we don't really know what is happening with him especially if he does go out on loan) and as already mentioned Robinson.

Anybpdy else just also rans.

MGP, would be interesting, he says he can use both feet, on recent form with his free kicks, he may have a chance of scoring from a little nearer. :)

Pedersen took one in his first season here in the cup game when he made his comeback... Bournemouth was it? He'd scored in the game and he took one in the shootout... anyway it was the best penalty I've seen anyone take at Ewood since Shearer, hard, accurate (top corner) - he showed plenty of confidence with that one, I don't know why he doesn't take them regularly?!

Dunn would also be a good shout, scored a few before he left for Brum but never looked totally convincing.

:rover: i could not believe it when benny's penalty was saved only andrews followed up,lotnob had at least 6 players on the line :angry::brfcsmilie:

i agree we were very slow to follow the missed penalty up, Andrews should of scored as well though. Next time Benny hit the ball with some force.

I agree,must admit though I would like to see Samba take one,just to see if it is possible to put a hole through the net with a football! :P

NO THANKYOU! i saw him take one in portugal in the summer and he wouldnt of scored if there was another net above the one he aimed it. it was way over the bar lol

If our Strikers just hit the ball in the top corner, there is no chance the keeper will save it. Gareth Barry always does it and 99% of the time he scores. So simple, yet so many strikers would rather go for power and technique, rather than smacking the ball in the top corner.

Easier said than done. You try it 10 times in a row and see how many you actually get in the top corner whilst beating the keeper.

Benni is much better than the likes of Roberts at Penalties and we couldnt risk Pedersen on it because if he misses he really will hit rock bottom for confidence. Emerton would be my 2nd option after Benni.

If our Strikers just hit the ball in the top corner, there is no chance the keeper will save it. Gareth Barry always does it and 99% of the time he scores. So simple, yet so many strikers would rather go for power and technique, rather than smacking the ball in the top corner.

I'm still trying to work out how you "smack" the ball into the top corner WITHOUT power and technique. I must say criticising players for using that combination of attributes is a new one to me BNWR!

I think Benni hit it in the corner because Jussi was bound to wise up to him slamming it down the middle eventually. About 4 penalties in a season against Jussi last year. It's just luck.

He should have smashed it regardless.

From the pre-season games, Emerton, Cruz and Pedersen take great penalties. Pedersen can really smash them.

Can Villanueva take a penalty? If so, just bloody sign him. The lad can take a free kick and no other rovers fan I have spoken to rates Mokoena above him in terms of ability. He may be an expensive squad player if nothing else, but a couple of the free kicks we got yesterday were in a good position for him. If he can score from a set piece or create a goal that keeps us up it would be more than worth it.

MGP, would be interesting, he says he can use both feet, on recent form with his free kicks, he may have a chance of scoring from a little nearer. :)

MGP was known in Norway as an expert with penalties before he went to England...

I would also think that Tugay with his experience could take an excellent penalty with a cool head.

I seem to remember Toogs skying one as well, can't remember who against though.

Andrews isn't a bad shout. He took them for Macc and MK Dons, seem to remember he scored the penalty which won them the Autowindshields cup or something like that. During game time, that is, not a shoot out. Benni takes a good penalty when he smashes them. He also has the bottle. Pedersen would end up topping himself if he missed one. Emerton can place a ball, but he'll probably run up, do a Cryuff turn and pass it to someone on the edge of the box.

:rover: i could not believe it when benny's penalty was saved only andrews followed up,lotnob had at least 6 players on the line :angry::brfcsmilie:

In fairness Andrews would have scored only Benny got in his way. :rolleyes:

Q. Does anybody know if Andrews ever shouts on the pitch? He's always going for the same header with our own players.

Penalty taking is as much about mental toughness as technique. When the pressure's off most pro's could slot 9/10 pens easily. Taking pens for fun I'd back myself 75% of the time. If you then said " Right next pen there's £10,000 riding on it" my knee's would be knocking and my effort may not reach the goals, that's the difference.

Benni never fills me with confidence, Dunny was good but he's always injured. Come back Mike Harrison, he was good, Shearer wasn't bad either.

Archived