BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Vs. Everton (preview)

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can people criticise our tactics? We are 18th, they are 6th. Yet they played as much, if not more long ball than us. They just lumped it up to Jo and Cahill hoping they would win a header, which they never managed mainly thanks to Samba.

Cant believe Nelsen got MOM, when Samba was clearly our Rock, not him!!!

As for Everton 1st teamers out. They had Yakubu who has been out for months, and Arteta. We had Reid, Dunn, Pedersen

You have to ask yourselves. Would you rather we took 1 point or None.

They were terrible, we were terrible. By the way, I though Jo was a good signing when he went to City (although terribly overpriced) and I think he's looked good since he's been at City, a bit like a more talented version of Roberts. If he is available in the summer at a knock-down fee then I think we should take a look.

You have to ask yourself, would you rather we took three points or one?

How can people criticise our tactics? We are 18th, they are 6th. Yet they played as much, if not more long ball than us. They just lumped it up to Jo and Cahill hoping they would win a header, which they never managed mainly thanks to Samba.

Cant believe Nelsen got MOM, when Samba was clearly our Rock, not him!!!

As for Everton 1st teamers out. They had Yakubu who has been out for months, and Arteta. We had Reid, Dunn, Pedersen

You have to ask yourselves. Would you rather we took 1 point or None.

don't forget Tony Hibbert

No Den it was not awful. What it actually was, was a match between two teams that each for different reasons saw it as a "must not lose" match. This does not augur well for pretty football, but rather it produces a "do or die" battling type of match which it certainly was. But to describe it "awful" or "dire" is just plain wrong. It was a real cliff-hanger and it left my nerves in a state that they have not been in for a very long time. It was just as though I was taking part myself with me playing every position in the Rovers team at once. I was willing them to get to every tackle and 2nd ball. I tell you it did not do my nervous disposition any good at all.

You are correct in what you say but everybody else is right in saying it was dire. People go to watch attacking football with skill and goal mouth incident. Wednesday night had virtually none of either. The problem with both managers is that their mentality is we must not concede, how can we stop them scoring then can we pinch a goal and defend. I can understand this from their point of view as it is their livlihoods. It is not just those two either. You can probably count on one hand the managers whom have positive how can we score how can we break our opponents down? I know people will point to how much success Keegan did not have, but people wanted to watch his brand of football. How many people want to watch Wednesday's match week in, week out?

Any way Wednesday night, defensively we were sound. Midfield matched Everton's-we created nothing, they created nothing. Forwards- RSC wasted, Roberts wasteful and Diouff got himself into useful positions but then there was no end product.

BTW, a little tongue in cheek but I'm surprised the Ince supporters have not mentioned the fact that his style of football broke down Everton and made Everton's defence look poor. I walked home with a couple of Everton fans and they said that Rovers were the best side that had played at Goodison this season. Ince's style of football on the whole was rubbish but sometimes against teams like Everton, a less direct style and more open style can achieve results but we must not concede.

You hardly sound qualified to be making a sound judgement on Everton and Moyes, Paul - that's probably why so many people are disagreeing with you. If you can't even put Arteta (one of the Premiership's finest attacking midfielders) in that list then your knowledge of them must be pretty dire. Yakubu has been towards the top end of the Premiership goalscoring charts for the last four or five years as well.

Well now you mention them I know who you mean, I just don't have sufficient interest in PL football to be able to name a first choice eleven for Everton or several other teams. It doesn't make me any less qualified to comment on the brand of football Moyes serves up. As I said I've seen every home match against Everton since he went to Goodison. The approach is always the same, it has improved a little over the years as they are less physical, but the fact remains a match against Everton is like watching paint dry.

One doesn't need an in depth knowledge of a squad, indeed one doesn't need to be able to name either team's players, to assess a football match. If one sees a team play the same brand of football for 7-8 seasons running it's pretty obvious where the influence lays. Look at Ferguson, doesn't matter which team you play against over the past 20ish years, you simply know how they will play.

They were terrible, we were terrible. By the way, I though Jo was a good signing when he went to City (although terribly overpriced) and I think he's looked good since he's been at City, a bit like a more talented version of Roberts. If he is available in the summer at a knock-down fee then I think we should take a look.

You have to ask yourself, would you rather we took three points or one?

Well I think it showed in the times we made our position look more like 4-4-2 that Everton just over-run our midfield. If we had gone for it, then with quality like Saha, Cahill or Jo - they would of broken away and scored and then everyone would be crying because we got 0 points.

I agree on looking to sign JO, although I think he will be out of our price range. Maybe £12m + Jo? (That way Roque doesnt get a cut because the price isnt over £15m)

No Den it was not awful. What it actually was, was a match between two teams that each for different reasons saw it as a "must not lose" match. This does not augur well for pretty football, but rather it produces a "do or die" battling type of match which it certainly was.

As an exhibition of how to approach and win a game of football Fife, it wasn't good. I'm not sure that Rovers went into this game simply not to lose either. Rather, the longer the game went on, the less idea we had, - of how to win it.

I know where Paul is coming from with his criticism of Everton's entertainment value. I do find them a pretty dull team who grind out results week in, week out through sheer organisation and application, rather than flair. Having said that, Moyes would be a great guy to have at Ewood, IMO. Just what we need.

As an exhibition of how to approach and win a game of football Fife, it wasn't good. I'm not sure that Rovers went into this game simply not to lose either. Rather, the longer the game went on, the less idea we had, - of how to win it.

I know where Paul is coming from with his criticism of Everton's entertainment value. I do find them a pretty dull team who grind out results week in, week out through sheer organisation and application, rather than flair. Having said that, Moyes would be a great guy to have at Ewood, IMO. Just what we need.

Without cash? Because although he works at Everton on a limited budget he has spent big in the last few years on one or two "quality" players. Wasn't it 15 million or so for Fellaini? When did we last have a budget like that for one player?

Without cash? Because although he works at Everton on a limited budget he has spent big in the last few years on one or two "quality" players. Wasn't it 15 million or so for Fellaini? When did we last have a budget like that for one player?

Good point about Moyes and cash GB. It's a bit of a myth amongst the Toffee fans that Moyes gets the best out of his players on a limitted budget, whereas in fact, compared to us, he's spent a small fortune.

I still think the qualities he brings to Everton are the qualities we need at Ewood. Hopefully Sam will do that anyway.

• Backroom

I don't think there's anything in Jo to suggest he can cut it in the Premiership. He was dire at City, and because at Everton he's scored a couple he's suddenly 'revived'. Judging from wednesday, I don't think so. At one point he had the goal right in front of him and miskicked a lame shot right at Brown. He didn't have any impact on the rest of the game.

Wouldn't want him anywhere near Ewood - overpriced and as it stands not adapted to the Premiership style of football.

I'm not sure that Rovers went into this game simply not to lose either. Rather, the longer the game went on, the less idea we had, - of how to win it.

Don't know if you heard Sam's interview on Radio Lancs before the game den but to me that is exactly what they intended to do - he said he wanted to get back at not conceding goals and clean sheets and trying to nick it with one or two chances a game - or words to that affect.

Now in my book - a team that goes out not to concede is going out not to lose rather than to win (exactly what the Premier is about nowadays unfortunately for most teams) and subsequently losing all intent and purpose in trying to win a game ( hence the no idea).

As everybody knows, majority wise Rovers have and always will need more than a 'couple of chances' to nick one goal, and in the circumstances we are in and especially when playing only one up front is a very very very dangerous and stupid way to approach a game in my view.

I have been saying it the last couple of weeks that we will get points (38-40) but we need to turn the draw into wins (especially the home games) - but will it be enough considering who has got to play who - I expected us to get a point from Villa and the Everton and win at Hull and results wise my expectations have been exactly as I suspected including the other clubs -(exception Newcastle winning at WBA).

I still think it will come down to how the other results between the teams at the bottom pan out as long as we win the ones I expect from the remaining games, however the comments from SAM do not install me with any confidence that we can.

Don't know if you heard Sam's interview on Radio Lancs before the game den but to me that is exactly what they intended to do - he said he wanted to get back at not conceding goals and clean sheets and trying to nick it with one or two chances a game - or words to that affect.

Now in my book - a team that goes out not to concede is going out not to lose rather than to win (exactly what the Premier is about nowadays unfortunately for most teams) and subsequently losing all intent and purpose in trying to win a game ( hence the no idea).

No, I didn't hear that Capt.

Basically he's right though. All good teams and good results are built from the back, that's absolutely the right way to go. It's the interpretation of "trying to nick it" that's the problem. I bet he didn't say anything like that? I bet he said something along the lines of "we will create some chances and hopefully take one of them"?

Hold my hand up if I'm wrong.

Well yeah, that was one of our big problems before he came along. We shipped in a sackful of goals and I think we had the second-worst GD in the league when he arrived.

Locking up teh back door is a start but as Jimmy Sirrell said: "If ye dinnae score, ye dinnae win".

Well yeah, that was one of our big problems before he came along. We shipped in a sackful of goals and I think we had the second-worst GD in the league when he arrived.

Locking up teh back door is a start but as Jimmy Sirrell said: "If ye dinnae score, ye dinnae win".

Howard Kendall's Rovers won promotion in at the first attempt in 1980, playing with the strategy of keeping a clean sheet and scoring from set pieces. That defence of Branagan, Rathbone, Keeley and Fazackerley went on to play for Rovers for the best part of a decade. Remember that unbeaten run, all those 1-0 scores and Faz's near post headers at corners?

I bet he didn't say anything like that? I bet he said something along the lines of "we will create some chances and hopefully take one of them"?

Hold my hand up if I'm wrong.

Not wrong but he did say it along with what you have posted

Howard Kendall's Rovers won promotion in at the first attempt in 1980, playing with the strategy of keeping a clean sheet and scoring from set pieces. That defence of Branagan, Rathbone, Keeley and Fazackerley went on to play for Rovers for the best part of a decade. Remember that unbeaten run, all those 1-0 scores and Faz's near post headers at corners?

But there's the difference - that team was set up and organised to do that with the tools to do it with.

Present time - we are so poor at any set pieces our organisation, determination and nous is nothing short of embarrasing most of the time.

Was it 29 pts from 30 (when it was 2 for a win)?

I seem to remember that it was Exeter who took the only point during the unbeaten run and also inflicted the defeat that ended it.

I'm pretty sure the first loss was at Stoke, when we took around 5000 fans?

Archived