BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs Preview

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the rules on handball.

"a DIRECT free kick is awarded........if a player....handles the ball deliberately (except the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)"

Some spectators and players seem to forget or have never realised the need for it to have been deliberate. Some take the view that if an advantage has come from the ball hitting the hand then a free kick has to given whether deliberate or not. This is not the case.

Just as a penalty may not be given if a striker blasted a ball from close range onto a defenders hand within the goal area then neither would a goal be disallowed if a defender blasted a ball against an attackers hand that ended up in the net. UNLESS in the opinion of the referee the hand/arm was deliberately moved into the path of the ball. It must always be remembered that it will be in the opinion of the referee. That opinion will be affected by his/her position and distance from the incident. Remember England v Argentina in the World Cup, 'The Hand Of God' Diego Maradona v Shilton! We can all make mistakes and whilst a die hard fan might be being seeing red , the likes of Premiership Referee Graham Poll (yes even Graham Poll) make them!

Givet does not move his arm its by his side at the start and its there when the ball hits it. Its never a penalty how the lino didn't see it either I will never know. All I can say is I hope he watches it and sees his mistake and decides to even it up.

If this isnt a game for Carlos Villanueva then there is no point putting him on the bench.

Maybe he will come on but I suspect that he won't be used.

I still think that Villaneuva on the bench is a PR stunt by Allardyce - mainly for the fans. It seems to indicate that he values skilful play - which he doesn't.

Maybe he will come on but I suspect that he won't be used.

I still think that Villaneuva on the bench is a PR stunt by Allardyce - mainly for the fans. It seems to indicate that he values skilful play - which he doesn't.

Tugay's coming on now, so that's another game where Carlos is wasted.

This is one of the worst games of football I've ever had the misfortune of watching. We're totally devoid of any quality whatsoever and in that respect we'll be well suited to the Championship.

This is one of the worst games of football I've ever had the misfortune of watching. We're totally devoid of any quality whatsoever and in that respect we'll be well suited to the Championship.

Agreed. Can't see where the goals are going to come from. That's why I wanted us to throw Carlos on, because at least he's a threat at set-pieces.

Archived