BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs Preview

Throughout the following there will be a series of links between the two clubs which I will not point out. See how many you think there are - answer at the end (warning - some are highly tenuous!). Anyway, onto the preview...

It's been a long-time since the glory days of Tottenham Hotspur football club. The golden era was probably the 80's and early 90's. Much of that was down to perhaps their most famous sons - Chas and Dave. They released 5 singles on the club's behalf with the most successful being the classic

which reached number 5. Oh how we laughed at the game little Argentinean maestro pronouncing it "Totting-ham". Alas, political correctness means we'll never see the like again. Thankfully, we'll also never see
with Glenn and Chris again (unless you click on the link - you have been warned) - although they rightfully take their place in the Spurs roll of honour of appearing on Top of the Pops.

Originally Tottenham Hotspur were simply called Hotspur. This caused some confusion with the nearby London Hotspur club so they decided they needed a new name. At the time they watched an impressive team win the FA Challenge Cup and wanted to do something to commemorate the team - so they adopted a shirt that consisted of blue and white halves. They had just moved to a new home at Northumberland Park and very nearly became Northumberland Rovers. But didn't.

Reflecting back on recent years, Spurs have seemingly been in competition with Man City and Newcastle for most money spent for smallest return. They did themselves no favours by embarrassingly courting Juande Ramos in the summer of 2007 when Martin Jol was still in charge, then doing a humiliating about-turn, and then yet another, with chairman Daniel Levy finally putting Jol out of his misery after a Uefa cup defeat to a Michael Laudrup-managed Getafe in October of that year. Managerless Spurs lost their next game 2-1. Ramos was duly announced as boss, surprising nobody, and over the next few months led them to a Carling Cup victory over Chelsea in February 2008, avenging their previous League Cup final defeat 6 years earlier, and earning the Spurs their first silverware since the Peace Cup (Korea) in 2005. At this point, I'd just like to point out that I'm not making this up - it's on their web-site. Despite the know-it-all football press stating that Ramos was the man to propel Spurs into the Champions League, and the spending of significant sums of money including £16M on David Bentley, in the first 8 games of the 2008/2009 season Spurs earned just 2 points and Ramos earned the dreaded vote of confidence from Levy on 21st October. Five days later and classy Levy again wielded the axe. Harry Redknapp, in his second stint at Portsmouth, the club he said he would retire at, immediately resigned to take over at Spurs. He reasoned that it was his last chance to manage a "big club", which I am sure went down well with the Pompey fans. And then in a script that even the thickest soap-opera screen-writer would reject, he was back in Portsmouth 3 days later to collect the freedom of the city! He accepted the award completely straight-faced, which is not an easy feat for Harry. Spurs immediately went on a great run leading everyone to think he was a tactical genius. However, at every opportunity he did point out that

1) Spurs only had 2 points when he took over

2) there were players he wanted but couldn't talk about because that would be wrong, then going on to talk about them (which is one of the reasons cited for Spurs sacking of George Graham, them being a PLC and all that <_< )

3) the squad was completely unbalanced and just plain wrong, despite £64M being spent on it in 2008. Surprisingly, he never mentioned this about the Portsmouth squad, as they began to fall faster than shares in a high street bank.

News9A_3.jpg

Redknapp relaxes at home

Harry Houdini (try telling that to Saints fans) and his recovery faltered somewhat in December and January and therefore he splashed out about £45M in the January window, presumably in an effort to re-balance the squad and get the players he wanted but couldn't talk about whilst talking about them. At this point it would be remiss not to mention that Spurs had now re-purchased 3 players they had previously sold - including Jermain Defoe from Portsmouth. Knowing how I felt when Mark Hughes came back for Roque, I can imagine where Portsmouth fans wanted to stick the key to the city. Incidentally, assuming those players and their agents got signing on fees and a wage boost for each move, it's not bad work if you can get it. "I've got no one to play at left-midfield," moaned Harry in a swipe at Ramos, "They've signed two right-wingers in Aaron Lennon and David Bentley but forgotten to sign a left-winger. It's an easy mistake to make." Step forward Spurs new left-winger bought during the January transfer window. Um, what? They didn't sign one? Oh. Perhaps it is an easy mistake to make. Keith Treacy for £8M 'Arry?

To be fair to Redknapp (and the cash spent), Spurs more recent form had improved in the league and seen them put some breathing distance between them and the relegation battle. Defeat in Europe to Shaktar Donetsk was hardly ideal preparation for their second successive Carling cup final - a final they were within 2 minutes of missing after valiant efforts by the Dingles in the semi. Despite a good showing in the game they did not manage to retain the cup, losing to Man Utd 4-1 on penalties. And David Bentley missed one of those. :lol: Putting that behind them they have embarked on a successful league run that has seen them move safely out of the relegation zone and into the top half of the table, standing 9th at the moment. Spurs have gained 7 points from their last 3 away games. Rovers have gained 2 points from their last 3 home games. This will not be an easy game and perhaps has draw written all over it.

Rovers Form Guide (Home form in brackets) - LWDWLD (DWDLDD)

Spurs Form Guide (Away form in brackets) - DWWDWW (LLLWDW)

We of course welcome former prodigal son and penalty expert David Bentley back to Ewood. Especially those of you in the Jack Walker Lower Tier Central, who should get the chance to talk to him as he seemingly warms the bench a lot these days. However, if he does play, he will no doubt continue the tradition of ex-players scoring against us, probably at the Blackburn End. And Robbo will get the chance to show why we got the better deal. We can but hope.

So, at this point I figured I should ask a Spurs fan some insightful questions. Trouble is, I don't know any (Spurs fans, that is. I know loads of insightful questions). So I canvassed around and thought I'd finally found a friend of a friend who liked Spurs. Now my friend is Spanish and a Real Madrid and Liverpool supporter. So the Spurs fan is also Spanish. But when the email came back, it turns out something got lost in translation. Namely, he doesn't like Spurs. Anyway, here's the outcome, it's quite funny, and indeed, insightful - take it away Javier

1) Why do you like Spurs, and have you ever been to watch them at White Hart Lane? Why do you like them?

Well, I don´t really like the Spurs. If they had just kicked Sevilla F*****g S**t F.C. in the Uefa final they lost, maybe I would. And I have never been to watch them at WHL.

2) Who are your favourite players and why?

None of them, I liked Berbatov but he is now playing for Man.Utd, isn´t he?

3) What do you think of Blackburn? What do you think the score will be when they play at Ewood?

Average team, always in the middle, not much done recently.  No idea about the score.

4) What is your view on the sacking of Juande Ramos and what do you think of Harry Redknapp?

I think the players didn´t like Juande because he made them work hard and they´re a bunch of lazy p****s. So they wanted him out. And for Juande was all right cause took away a lot of money and his reputation is Spain was still good…

5) If Man Utd are the equivalent of Real Madrid, which Spanish teams would be the equivalent of Spurs and Blackburn?

Spurs – Español

Blackburn – Deportivo de la Coruña

6) Spurs are the 14th richest team in Europe. This last year or so they have spent £109M and are still struggling. What should they do?

Sack some old players and spend the money in a better way.

Not exactly what I'd hoped for but hey, you can't have everything.

Come on you blues!

Finally, the number of links in the text above was 7 - top of the class if you got them all.

1) Ossie Ardiles

2) The team that inspired Hotspur were Blackburn Rovers

3) Getafe - Michael Laudrup has been favoured for the Rovers job by many on this site (okay, really, really tenuous!)

4) The team that beat managerless Spurs after Jol's sacking was Rovers - goals from Benni and a last minute special from Chris Samba

5) The team that beat Spurs in the previous League Cup final appearance was, of course, Rovers

6) David Bentley

7) Paul Robinson

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice preview, links 3.

This is going to be one hell of game to win.

A month ago I was looking at 3 points, now with spuds second revival a point each, we need more but I can't see us scoring 2 or 3, which is what I think we would need to take all three points.

Speed and skill, flair and poise versus up and at em football.

Spuds will come to Ewood with that horrible little gem, Robbie Keane, hoping to compound even more misery on Rovers, he always seems to score at Ewood Park.

Left back will be exposed to the speed of Lennon.

Right back will be exposed to the speed of Lennon.

The central defence will be exposed to the speed of Lennon.

Common denominator ? Speed of Lennon.

If there was ever a game for taking one of the threats out of the game this is it. Modric and the Spurs central midfield will have a field day with the amount of space available. I dread to think about the space the likes of Jenas, Keane and Bent will find on our lush Ewood Park surface.

I just hope that with the International break in place, that Spurs suffer some comeback and that Rovers players return unscathed from inury.

Its going to be a rough ride a week on Saturday and for the tv watching audience it is going tobe even more painful.

Dare I say a Rovers win ?

Nice preview, links 3.

This is going to be one hell of game to win.

A month ago I was looking at 3 points, now with spuds second revival a point each, we need more but I can't see us scoring 2 or 3, which is what I think we would need to take all three points.

Having just checked the current form guide, my above reservations are confirmed.

Spuds top the table with.

P 6 W 4 D 2 L 0 GF 10 GA 3

Rovers in 12th with.

P 6 W2 D 2 L 2 GF 6 GA 9

We will need a lot more luck in front of goal to win this one, together with a rock solid defence.

although they currently stand top on form (wow had to double check that!) they have lost 3 of their last 6 away so there is hopefully some case for optimism. I would hope robbo will be dying to prove a point in this game also so hopefully a top game from him between the sticks. Their main threats exist in lenon, modric and keane, after failing to beat the hammers voodoo we really need to win this if we are to be in control of our own fate but being its at ewood it will probably be another draw!

Spurs are out of their comfort zone traveling up north. As we didn't get 3 points against the Irons, this has to be a win game. If we draw or lose then it's panic stations! 3 away games after this against clubs with some seriously good home form.

As said last week, i usually have Pedersen to score. Well this match he is and it's going to be goal of the season and will win us the 3 points. The fella is so overdue a goal it's criminal. Get your cash on it :excl:

Spurs are out of their comfort zone traveling up north. As we didn't get 3 points against the Irons, this has to be a win game. If we draw or lose then it's panic stations! 3 away games after this against clubs with some seriously good home form.

As said last week, i usually have Pedersen to score. Well this match he is and it's going to be goal of the season and will win us the 3 points. The fella is so overdue a goal it's criminal. Get your cash on it :excl:

As I said last week aswell, I'll count every blade of turf at Ewood if he scores on Saturday. The more I see him play, the less likely I think he is to score. He was so frustrating on Saturday and should've been replaced by Dunn, switching Dioufy to the left.

Must win game. If results go our way on the weekend, we could be 5 points clear by the end of it all. Massive weekend for Rovers, just hope the players are up to it.

Any chance Roque will be back for this one?

I wouldnt call this must win, but its definitely must not lose.

A draw would leave us needing 8 points from 7 games to reach the magic 40, which Wigan, Pompey and West Brom still to play at home, with Stoke and City away. 2 wins and two draws from that lot - no problem.

I wouldnt call this must win, but its definitely must not lose.

A draw would leave us needing 8 points from 7 games to reach the magic 40, which Wigan, Pompey and West Brom still to play at home, with Stoke and City away. 2 wins and two draws from that lot - no problem.

Agree 100% - A win would be fantastic, a draw would be decent.

• Backroom

I'm usually optimistic but for some reason have a bad feeling about this one... 0-2 Spurs. I don't think a loss is a huge disaster, as I seriously doubt any of the current bottom 3 have what it takes to reach 40 points.

As I said last week aswell, I'll count every blade of turf at Ewood if he scores on Saturday. The more I see him play, the less likely I think he is to score. He was so frustrating on Saturday and should've been replaced by Dunn, switching Dioufy to the left.

Must win game. If results go our way on the weekend, we could be 5 points clear by the end of it all. Massive weekend for Rovers, just hope the players are up to it.

Any chance Roque will be back for this one?

I'm pretty certain Pedersen will score soon, he is getting into the box loads at the moment. Only a matter of time. And I am not sure why you think he should have been taken off on Sat - he was one of our best players! He will play every single game under Sam - his throw, ability in the air and left foot are invaluable.

The matchup between Spurs and Rovers is interesting. THere is no way we can compete with the pace of Lennon and Bent. However there is no chance the awful Spurs defence can cope with our aerial bombardment. Particualrly if Cruz is available I can see this being a high scoring game.

WE NEED JW TO GET THE MEDIA,PAPERS ,BILL BOARDS ,FLYERS IN TOWN TO PROMOTE THIS GAME A LA "E-DAY" WHEN WE WON THE LEAGUE AND STICK SPUDS FANS TOP TIER AND STRESS THE IMPORTANCE AND MAKE THE EWOOD A CAULDRON LIKE IT WAS THAT DAY AND WE NEED FLOWERS "BOTTLE " SPEECH PLAYED ON THE BIG SCREEN WHEN THE TEAMS COME OUT AND SAM NEEDS TO HAVE THEM FIRED UP LIKE ###### !!!!!!!!!!

5) If Man Utd are the equivalent of Real Madrid, which Spanish teams would be the equivalent of Spurs and Blackburn?

Spurs – Español

Blackburn – Deportivo de la Coruña

[

Haha, what a coincidence, i love rovers and for spainish team, i always have a soft-spot for deportivo especially after they broke the madrid, barca monopoly in the 90s, just like rovers in the 90s. ^_^

Archived