BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs Preview

Got to love watching 'Arry squirm

It's about time Rovers got a win when they've played badly (sign of champions that ;) ). I thought the referee was appalling - I've never seen such a one-sided display up until the 80th minute. He was laughably bad - although I wasn't laughing!

For those complaining about the style of play today, whilst I agree it wasn't good, I think part of Sam's strategy is to try to keep the game tight long enough to be able to bring on Dunn and/or Tugay - who both showed what they can do when paired in the centre of the park. Neither of them can last longer than half an hour, and the kind of players we have available - particularly in midfield - make this a thankless task. Our game plan was effectively ruined when Spurs' man in green decided that having the ball blasted at you (since Lennon isn't capable of proper crosses) and having it hit your arm whilst it's by your side constitutes a penalty. The ball struck Givet's arm so hard his arm swung backwards; I've yet to see it on a replay but that was my view as it happened.

For all their "great football" and dominating of possession, the fact is it took a penalty for Spurs to actually beat Robinson. When the full time whistle goes the only stat that counts is the number of times the ball landed in the onion bag - as we've seen to our cost too often this season. That was a long over due win 'against the run of play' and I hope 'Arry cried all the way home. :brfcsmilie:

Well done to the Ewood faithful by the way. Cracking atmosphere in the second half! :rover:

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh God, we were absolutely appalling.

Over the moon at the three points, but we can't be going through that ever again.

Unless some decent money is made available over tehj summer, I think we just saw a glimpse of the future.

Agree totally,this side needs massive restucturing during the Summer..we are lacking in quality so badly in so many positions it beggars belief.

• Backroom

Predicted a 2-0 loss, and we almost certainly would have lost had Spurs not gone down to 10-men.

However, delighted with the 3 points :) I don't care how we get the points, let's just get them and worry about changing the way we play and the players we have in the summer. When I was txted that Roberts had come off and Samba was up front I sent back a rather riled reply, but it seems to have done well!

I think the 3 at the bottom as it stands will now go down. If Newcastle can't take all three points from Stoke next week they are done for.

Whilst it isnt pretty I am prepared to take the points from scrappy games and will take a win whether its from a wondergoal or a tap in off someones backside, such is our predicament.

I dont think for one minute that this is the type of football we will see should we survive.

What we will have at least is continuity, a fresh start and the Ince cobwebs will be well and truly blown out of the Ewood doors.

The stigma of that muppets efforts still hangs over the club and until relegation is out of the thoughts of the players and club aas well as supporters we must take whats on offer.

It isnt pretty, it isnt good but at least we are taking points and heading upwards.

Whilst it isnt pretty I am prepared to take the points from scrappy games and will take a win whether its from a wondergoal or a tap in off someones backside, such is our predicament.

I dont think for one minute that this is the type of football we will see should we survive.

What we will have at least is continuity, a fresh start and the Ince cobwebs will be well and truly blown out of the Ewood doors.

The stigma of that muppets efforts still hangs over the club and until relegation is out of the thoughts of the players and club aas well as supporters we must take whats on offer.

It isnt pretty, it isnt good but at least we are taking points and heading upwards.

I think that absolutely sums up our position at the moment.

Stop ya moaning about the performance. Yes, we were pretty rubbish but we won. We've played much, much better this season and got bugger all for it. Forget about how the team performs or thoughts of next season and just rejoice in three points because I for one, dont want to be watching fizzy pop football next season.

Key moment seemed to be swapping Dunny then the soft sending off.

What happened next ? Unbelievable stuff two goals, and Gomes makes a cracking save from Stevie Warnock, and we are all celebrating like its 1995 all over again.

Big Sam didnt disappoint what a patched up bunch we looked, but hey, we won, yippee!!!

A special mention goes to Paul Robinson thought he had a fantastic game, in fact faultless game, well done to Robbo.

Wow even when palaciaos got sent off I thought it would just have been too late to make a difference, spurs totally hit self destruct which shows just how good palacious is, I thought his sending off was harsh , I felt dunn was jumping to get out of his way though as if he had followed through he would have given dunn a right kicking and no doubt back to the injury room for another 6 months. Must admit when Samba was put up front I thought it was desperate, last ditch stuff but he certainly shook up their defense who had no problem handling roberts/benni in the first half, correct decision keeping benni on also, roberts would have fluffed that shot for sure

Its about time we won ugly! havent seen us play this bad in some time, we couldnt string a sodding pass together so to get 2 in the last 10 minutes will be a massive boost for the team. Spurs played better no doubt but for their dominance on the pitch they looked about as likely to score as us bar that ridiculous penalty, even the linesman put his flag straight down. Have to agree with above we are due to lose lots of players this summer, cant think how we are gonna rebuild a squad with the funding we have and progress, other results went out way today also bar stoke unfortunately.

3 points in the bag!

harry living up to his 'houdini' nickname, where did their lead go?

Great result, absolutely awful football, but I don't care. 2 wins and we're safe.

We are playing Liverpool away next. I expect Sam to name half the youth team as we'll get nothing, and it's not worth risking our 'best' (only?) 11 for it. Please remember this before posting tripe when we are 3-0 down.

Great result, absolutely awful football, but I don't care. 2 wins and we're safe.

Boro and West Brom have had it , it's only Newcastle can catch us.

And I'll be shocked if they get more than 37 points.

I think one more win actually does it.

A draw against Liverpool would be as good as a win for me. That game and the Chelsea games, will be important, because if we get points out of those 2, then we will be okay. Well done again to the lads, excellent 3 points despite not playing much football today.

Terrible performance today but luck was on our side, Samba deserves a special mention for his passion and commitment, he bleeds blue n white that lad.

I think we need 2 more wins to secure our place in the premiership, most pundits think 41 points will be enough.

Looking forward to Stoke now, let’s make it a carnival atmosphere and cheer the lads on to 3 points.

I still can't stand Mr Diouf, but he's certainly dedicated to the cause and for that I'll give him credit. He'll never win me over whatever the situation, but he's fully committed and for that I feel he deserves a mention.

"Step by step we make our way "

Kate Mosse

Labyrinth

Dont you dare quote that filth on here, people might actually think its a good book (its not, its dreadful - over to you Sidders)

3 vital points, won after going behind to a better side. I'm rather happy with that considering how the rest of the days results went

Bearing in mind we have Reid and Emerton out for the season; Grella and RSC out for a while; today our crocks were:-

Pedersen........injured towards end of 1st half (replaced by Dunn)

Roberts.........taken off at half time due to injury. (replaced by Oojier who replaced Samba who went up front)

Dunn..........He hasn't trained all week because of achilles tendon problem; and it showed. He developed a second wind towards the end when he moved from the left to centre midfield.

Warnock.........limping through injury for most of 2nd half.

What I'm trying to say is that Rovers' battered and bruised army gave a pretty poor display yet battled on to win three precious points for us.

Well done to the lads. Aye, well done.

Terrible, absolutely terrible performance but I felt like we'd won a cup at the end. A completely unexpected three points. I thought we were down and out today, as good as relegated the performance was so bad. Now three points at Stoke could be enough to take the pressure right off.

If we survive it's going to be very interesting to see who goes because most of the squad need clearing out

Terrible, absolutely terrible performance but I felt like we'd won a cup at the end.

You get no luck at all if you're going down, today we got out played by Spurs but came out with a win, and that form will help secure our Premiership place for next season I hope.

"To good to go down" more like "Not good enough to stay up"

It says a lot when a team arent able to make one telling pass or even find their own team mates, untill a player,soon to pick up a bus pass comes off the bench.

However a wins a win, so when your down and out dont look a gift horse in the mouth.

Oh God, we were absolutely appalling.

Over the moon at the three points, but we can't be going through that ever again.

Unless some decent money is made available over tehj summer, I think we just saw a glimpse of the future.

It was anything but in my view. We played long ball tactics for 80 minutes and were truly dreadful. It was only when Allardyce belatedly switched Warnock and Dunn - I could not believe he persisted in Dunn wide left and Warnock centre mid for half the game - that things changed. Dunn's runs brought the fouls and the sending off. The crisp passing that replaced the hopeless crap got us the corner for the first goal.

It was the Souness era central midfield that got us back into this game, not the long ball.

And only Spurs would have given us an unchallenged open goal from a foot out in the 88th minute, for that we should be truly grateful.

Got to agree with Bryan and EiT, that game was truly appalling. In the end, I was glad I lost vision and couldn't see it, but murphy's law was enacted for me.

Still, when all is said and done it's not how you win, it's the win itself, the three vital points.

Eddie, if you think that Givet's "handball" was a penalty, then I despair at your lack of football knowledge. It was plain to see he was attempting to get his hand and arm out of the way. The ref took the p even further by allowing the "penalty" to be taken from where it was.

I'll see a better game on my local park in a few hours.

Archived