BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs Preview

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dont you dare quote that filth on here, people might actually think its a good book (its not, its dreadful - over to you Sidders)

3 vital points, won after going behind to a better side. I'm rather happy with that considering how the rest of the days results went

Like yesterdays performance and events there are some good bits in the book - this being one of them. Best not to refer to the "filth" as you will be have people reading the book for the wrong reasons.

Rednapp is very irrating. so the referee made a big mistake did he. Not as big as the two defensive errors that Spurs made

Don't know how many times it's been said but derbyshire can't be recalled!

In hindsight that seems like a crazy decision to not put a clause into the loan deal to say we can recall him.

What about Gallagher then, can we recall him or his he still injured?

I think you've just got to accept that somebody else is going to have to do Benni's running which is why he works so well with Roberts. He's a lazy sod, but give him a chance and he'll put it away - right now that's the best we can hope for.

Nicko, having lots of posession is one thing, creating chances with all those posession is another, and scoring from those chances the other. Robbo made one quality save, and that was about it for Spurs. Thats why they nowhere near a quality team despite some talented players. We showed that with no posession, that we took the 2 chances that came our way and won the game. This is why taking points playing ugly football, is better than playing pretty football without an end result and no points.

Spurs were awful and I can't see them playing any better because the players they have are poor. Bent, King and Woodgate and the left back were ok. Palacios was ok. The rest absolute dross.

Nicko - Do you really think the best Spurs X1 against the best current Rovers XI would win any of the six points? I don't. I would expect easy home win and comfortable away win against this lot. It's the worst Spurs team in 25 years.

Rovers played badly and made Spurs look better than they are, ie made them look poor! If Rovers had upped the tempo like the last 15 minutes Spurs would have looked what they are; rank absymal. There was nothing positive at all you could say about them and the collapse to dollops forward at the end summed them up. The Newcastle of next season.

I know. Inexplicable given the fact that Santa was semi crocked and Bennie was looking like a snake that has swallow a pig.

It's not inexplicable at all. We couldn't have asked for a fee from Olympiakos if we were allowed to recall him, we'd probably have been very lucky to get them to pay anything towards his wages too. We needed that cash to fund the Diouf deal and he's far more important to us than Derbyshire is.

In hindsight that seems like a crazy decision to not put a clause into the loan deal to say we can recall him.

What about Gallagher then, can we recall him or his he still injured?

Some of us are missing the point. A fee has been agreed and the loan is to see whether Matty Derbyshire could fit in with the Greek style of play, he cannot be recalled and unless something happens to the contrary he wont play in a Rovers shirt again unless the Greeks dont want him or he doesnt fancy the move himself.

Gally has a recall clause but is he not injured ?

Judge also has a recall clause but does he has the experience ?

The game yesterday was truly awful to watch. On Radio Rovers post match, even Dunny was saying that the tactics were, in his opinion, wrong. He thinks that there is a need to mix it up a bit more. By that he means that rovers should refrain from using the long ball all of the time. He thought that when he and Tugay moved central, it improved the team and gave Woodgate and company much more to think about. I totally agree with that. It's much more difficult to defend against sides who sometimes put it onto Samba's head and sometimes play it short. He did go on to say though, that if the current methods are working in terms of results, then that's how it will have to be this season. Look at the "style" of football next season.

That's the truth of the matter isn't it? Sam has done more in terms of results, that any rovers fan could realistically ask for [taking into account the position in the league, the run we were in at the time and the injuries we have suffered]. At this moment, any criticism of the style of football really has to be put to one side. Next season though, needs to be better. The fans wont put up with that kind of display next season IMO.

Good post den, pretty well sums it up.

Like Paul, with 12 mins to go yesterday, I had us mentally consigned to relegation the performance was so poor. We looked a truly dispirited, disorganised and clueless bunch. Then the needless and unexpected sending off gave us a bit of impetus and the rest is history.

I really don't think the players we have are best suited to the "percentage football" Sam is trying to employ. I was very disappointed by the attitude and application of some of the players in the second half yesterday. But we won and the three points are everything in our position so what more can you say?

One player who certainly doesn't come into that category is Samba, the guy has a heart of a lion and was magnificent once again. If only we had another ten more like him. Robinson also deserves special mention for a wonderful save first half which kept us in it. As Brad nears pensionable age, his signing is the one thing we can thank Mr Ince for.

Why are we picking up so many injuries? On Thursday night Sam said "injury prevention" was going to be a key part of his future strategy. The reverse seems to be applying at the moment.

We certainly SHOULD stay up from this position but like tnr says I think I'll leave the champagne on ice for a little longer. Another seven performances like that could easily leave us on 34 points!

Some of us are missing the point. A fee has been agreed and the loan is to see whether Matty Derbyshire could fit in with the Greek style of play, he cannot be recalled and unless something happens to the contrary he wont play in a Rovers shirt again unless the Greeks dont want him or he doesnt fancy the move himself.

Gally has a recall clause but is he not injured ?

Judge also has a recall clause but does he has the experience ?

Sam gave the clear impression on Thursday night neither Gally or Derbs could be recalled. It wasn't clear whether they absolutely couldnt be recalled by way of a clause etc but he said there had to be some sort of "financial adjustment" to allow Diouf to be added to the squad and he simply didn't seem too bothered about finding anything out about Gallagher.

Personally I think the decision to let Derbs go out on loan was a poor one given the situation we're in and our injuries but Sam said the player himself wanted first team football. I'd like to think Gally would have a part to play in future but there'd be little point now in him sitting in the space behind the strikers waiting to spray the ball about but getting a crick in his neck watching the ball fly skyward towards Samba.

Sam gave the clear impression on Thursday night neither Gally or Derbs could be recalled. It wasn't clear whether they absolutely couldnt be recalled by way of a clause etc but he said there had to be some sort of "financial adjustment" to allow Diouf to be added to the squad and he simply didn't seem too bothered about finding anything out about Gallagher.

Personally I think the decision to let Derbs go out on loan was a poor one given the situation we're in and our injuries but Sam said the player himself wanted first team football. I'd like to think Gally would have a part to play in future but there'd be little point now in him sitting in the space behind the strikers waiting to spray the ball about but getting a crick in his neck watching the ball fly skyward towards Samba.

I presume Roberts wasn't injured on Thursday. Things may have changed. If Roberts and Santa are out for the foreseeable future we'd have to be crazy not to recall an experienced goalscoring forward . By all accounts he is playing really well although at a lower level. Judge would be handy if we have to move Diouf up front at some point in a future game.

If we really are that skint that we had to off load Derbyshire because of his wages staying up this time is only postponing the inevitable drop next season.

No matter what you think about the penalty decision what is clear is that managing to hit the only defender between you and the goal in all that space indicates a pretty crap cross. And that was virtually the sum total of Lennon's output yesterday.

If Lennon played for Rovers hed be slated for performances like yesterdays, he shows world class speed, then he seems to close his eyes and then hit and hope for the best on his crossing - what an anti-climax of a footballer this kid is.

Hopefully Harry can coach Lennon to become more accurate on his selection of passes and shots in and around the goal area, yesterday he was so sub standard if anyone cost Spurs the game for me Lennon did.

If we really are that skint that we had to off load Derbyshire because of his wages staying up this time is only postponing the inevitable drop next season.

This sort of ties in with what Sam said whereby if his "injury prevention" policy can be successfully implemented, he'd rather see a squad of 18 higher class players rather than 24 who maybe aren't quite good enough. Which probably tells us all we need to know about his views on the depth and quality of the current squad.

Say what you want about the ref but the fact is we have won 5 out of 6 games when he has refereed us in the last 2 seasons.

The one we didn't win was the 1-1 against Spurs at Ewood last year. Funny he got the same fixture again. Bet he doesn't next season if there is one.

If Lennon played for Rovers hed be slated for performances like yesterdays, he shows world class speed, then he seems to close his eyes and then hit and hope for the best on his crossing - what an anti-climax of a footballer this kid is.

Hopefully Harry can coach Lennon to become more accurate on his selection of passes and shots in and around the goal area, yesterday he was so sub standard if anyone cost Spurs the game for me Lennon did.

Correct statement brother.

I love players against us who hog the good possesion and waste it all.

Can't say I care what Reknapp does with him though.

Rev

I am almost certain Gally can be recalled but agree with you in that what position could he play in the current set up and what value he would provide in the squad. I further agree the oversight when letting Derbyshire leave in not getting some sort of adequate player to bolster the squad, I dont mean Diouf I mean an extra.

Even with Roberts and RSC missing, I still think we will have enough to nick the points required to keep up. The games at home to Wigan and WBA SHOULD be the bankers however, I would like to have the points wrapped up before we play Chelsea.

I'm surprised many thought Lennon had a poor game yesterday. He tormented the normally reliable Givet causing him to have by far his worst game in a Rovers shirt.

He's fast becoming our nemesis - the one player we can't handle - from Micky Gray at WHL in that 3-2 thriller to Ollson to Givet.

His final ball could be a lot better but otherwise he causes havoc.

Lennon's pace causes havoc, but his final ball leaves a lot to be desired - the cross that led to the penalty due to a 'handball' for example was merely Lennon hammering the ball into the six yard box hoping to find a Spurs player. In contrast Bentley would have picked out Keane from that position.

Was just going to mention Bentley, being a better player than Lennon in terms of final ball. Lennon is just quick, but apart from that its hard to believe that he is in the England team. He aint a good player, and ill stick with that comment no matter what anybody says.

bentley made the worst mistake of his life leaving us... reports are saying he'll move to villa in the summer. they have young there already? why would they need bentley and plus i think villa's fast pace attacking game wouldnt suit bentley at all.

I'm surprised many thought Lennon had a poor game yesterday. He tormented the normally reliable Givet causing him to have by far his worst game in a Rovers shirt.

He's fast becoming our nemesis - the one player we can't handle - from Micky Gray at WHL in that 3-2 thriller to Ollson to Givet.

His final ball could be a lot better but otherwise he causes havoc.

He beats his man for fun then it all becomes a bit of a lottery for Aaron, instead of a centre forward potentially being able to tap in twenty plus goals a season he cant pick out the forward.

Whats the point of having no end result to your game,every ones talking about how Paul Robinson didnt have much to do, you only have to look at Lennons game to understand why, overall I thought Givet performed well, though Nelsen and Ooijer for me were excellent second half absolutely top drawer for me.

Gallagher and Derbyshire can't come back this season...the window is shut.

And I still say Spurs played some lovely stuff for the first half hour. Palacios was very good, Keane's movement terrific, Modric linked well. True, they did not make that many chances but it was good to watch.

Didn't do them any good, but there we go.

Spurs won't get anywhere without signing a keeper and a left back.

Rovers - even if they survive - need five or six. But the priority is to stay up. Nothing else matters.

And I still say Spurs played some lovely stuff for the first half hour. Palacios was very good, Keane's movement terrific, Modric linked well. True, they did not make that many chances but it was good to watch.

They were certainly at least one league better than us. Can't think of many rovers players that are better position for position than the Spurs lads.

bentley made the worst mistake of his life leaving us... reports are saying he'll move to villa in the summer. they have young there already? why would they need bentley and plus i think villa's fast pace attacking game wouldnt suit bentley at all.

Heard a rumour about Bentley after yesterdays game that he popped into the player lounge bar to have a chat with a few of the Rovers players suddenly time passesd quickly as the Tottenham coach waited and waited for DB to come out. Rumour is they waited for up to an hour it probably wasnt that long but still a wait is a wait and after that kind of defeat, I'd have thought it would'nt have gone down well with Harry and the rest of the team. :lol:

Problem is, if i wasn't a Rovers fan, I would be. It's dire watching the team you loved as a kid struggle so much. I want them down if it means we survive but if it could be Newcastle and Sunderland with West Brom I'd love it. Think I'm doomed to disappointment though.

I'm with you on that one Gumboots. I have absolutely nothing against 'Boro or Gareth Southgate, and would much rather see any of the other stugglers go down instead of them. Obviously Rovers excepted. If I could choose it would be West Ham, Spurs and City, but unfortunately none of those three are going down, more's the pity!

Archived