BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs Preview

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Somebody's informed me that Dermott Gallagher was commenting on Sky about Waltons decisions and said that he would be censured for the ball on the spot issue.

Anybody hear this interview?

No, but what about the ball in the quadrant issues? He ran over to the Darwen/Riverside corner and made the rovers player move the ball into the quadrant. Later, at the BBE/JW stand he went to the Spurs player, saw the ball was out of the quadrant, but gave a big thumbs up to the Spurs player, - as if to say to the rovers fans who brought his attention to it, - "up yours"!

What was that all about?

No, but what about the ball in the quadrant issues? He ran over to the Darwen/Riverside corner and made the rovers player move the ball into the quadrant. Later, at the BBE/JW stand he went to the Spurs player, saw the ball was out of the quadrant, but gave a big thumbs up to the Spurs player, - as if to say to the rovers fans who brought his attention to it, - "up yours"!

What was that all about?

Thats when Divine intervention kicked in and blew the ball into the quadrant. Gods obviously a Rover. :rover:

The worse thing for me was not the fact that the referee gave a decision from an angle that he couldn't judge how far out Givets hand was but that the assistant referee, who had a perfect view, gave nothing but failed to inform the referee, instead deciding to make a quick run around behind the goal.

What do you mean the assistant failed to inform the referee? He doesn't inform the referee every single time he thinks something isn't of blowing the whistle for, that would be crazy. The clue's in his name, he's there to 'assist'. If the referee chooses to go with his own decision instead of the assistant's then that's down to him, the assistant has no authority to overrule him by saying "but I didn't give it!".

I wonder what game you watch sometimes. :wacko:

What do you mean the assistant failed to inform the referee? He doesn't inform the referee every single time he thinks something isn't of blowing the whistle for, that would be crazy. The clue's in his name, he's there to 'assist'. If the referee chooses to go with his own decision instead of the assistant's then that's down to him, the assistant has no authority to overrule him by saying "but I didn't give it!".

I wonder what game you watch sometimes. :wacko:

If the assistant has a much better view of an incident than the ref and disagrees with the decision that the ref makes, then he should make that known. If the assistant thought it was a pen adn the ref not, he would do his best to make the ref aware of his opinion and it is just as important in reverse.

:wacko:

He made his opinion clear to the referee by not flagging for a penalty. If the referee decides to give it anyway there's absolutely nothing the assistant can do after the whistle has gone. What's he meant to do, run on to the pitch and tell him to change his mind because he doesn't think it's a penalty?

I can understand if it was a completely stonewall decision like the ball being over the line, or a player faking being hit or something...then maybe he could intervene...but this was just a matter of interpretation regarding intent to handle the ball or not, and the referee's opinion matters most.

Whatever Waggy...

The point about Andy Halliday the assistant is that he didn't just react impassively to the Givet handball, he indicated all OK to play on with his flag and arm signal.

That is the point that Graham Poll is making quite apart from that penalty being the worst decision of the weekend.

For the majority of the game our play was very poor. Clueless hit and hope stuff that started to grate as we got no return. The moment Dunn was moved centrally and we actually made a string of passes, we started to reap the benefits. Hopefully a learning curve for Sam's team selection.

:rover: very true :rolleyes::brfcsmilie:

The game yesterday was truly awful to watch. On Radio Rovers post match, even Dunny was saying that the tactics were, in his opinion, wrong. He thinks that there is a need to mix it up a bit more. By that he means that rovers should refrain from using the long ball all of the time. He thought that when he and Tugay moved central, it improved the team and gave Woodgate and company much more to think about. I totally agree with that. It's much more difficult to defend against sides who sometimes put it onto Samba's head and sometimes play it short. He did go on to say though, that if the current methods are working in terms of results, then that's how it will have to be this season. Look at the "style" of football next season.

That's the truth of the matter isn't it? Sam has done more in terms of results, that any rovers fan could realistically ask for [taking into account the position in the league, the run we were in at the time and the injuries we have suffered]. At this moment, any criticism of the style of football really has to be put to one side. Next season though, needs to be better. The fans wont put up with that kind of display next season IMO.

:rover: your wrong den,if we get points the sheep will be happy :rolleyes::brfcsmilie:

The performance was dire, absolutely dire. 'Dead Men Walking' was the phrase my mate used. Let's just hope it was a bad day at the office so to speak after the recent encouraging performances against Hull, Fulham and West Ham.

With regard to the 'percentage football' if you want to play Bolton football, you have to have Bolton type players and we don't. Knocking high, long balls up to McCarthy and Roberts just doesn't work. Up to Samba is different. But we are better than that and as Dunny said, we need to mix it up (the styles) a bit more.

Still, the feeling coming off was fantastic and the atmosphere for those last few minutes, white hot.

:rover: just wait till the summer,we will HAVE BOLTON TYPE PLAYERS :angry::brfcsmilie:

No, you're wrong. I'm still not happy that Allardyce is our manager but I found myself grinning from ear to ear at the end of that game, and every time I've watched the goals again I find a huge silly grin coming over my face. This morning I found a message on the phone from last Thursday from a cousin of my husband. When I rang him it was to say that his 2 sons were coming up for the game if we wanted to meet up with them for a pregame drink. I had a grin of pure delight on my face as I said "Bet they didn't enjoy that much" . You see, it was about the result on Saturday and it will be for the rest of this season. However, I don't want to see it again like that and I will be among the first to criticise if it is, along with quite a number of fans on here, even those who like Allardyce. It's about getting us out of the mess we'd got into and then looking again at what we can do next season. It's not about fans scoring points off one another.

The performance was dire, absolutely dire. 'Dead Men Walking' was the phrase my mate used. Let's just hope it was a bad day at the office so to speak after the recent encouraging performances against Hull, Fulham and West Ham.

With regard to the 'percentage football' if you want to play Bolton football, you have to have Bolton type players and we don't. Knocking high, long balls up to McCarthy and Roberts just doesn't work. Up to Samba is different. But we are better than that and as Dunny said, we need to mix it up (the styles) a bit more.

Still, the feeling coming off was fantastic and the atmosphere for those last few minutes, white hot.

I'm glad that so many could see what a disgrace we were - it was worse than any tactics Paul I*!e ever employed.

Central midfielder on the left wing, left back in central midfield, central midfileder at right back, central defender up front, usual right back at centreback. Hit and hope was producing nothing but easy balls for King, we were deviod of ideas and then Spurs threw it away (thankfully).

I'm ecstatic for the win and I will accept that needs must (just as when Hughes first came in) this season. If we however have to resort to that next season I'll be spending my weekends elsewhere.

So raise a glass to a high number of penalty area incursions and high % second ball won as this will see us safe.

Paul Ince, 17 games, 13 points. 0.76 points per game.

Sam Allardyce, 14 games, 21 points. 1.5 points a game.

Points win prizes Waggy, regardless of who earns them!

By the time Sam has been in charge for 17 games we'll likely have twice as many points as Ince managed in the same time.

Thats not to say that Sam is twice the manager Ince was. No, Ince wasn't that good.

At the moment we're in the same situation as when Hughes took over, we need to be winning games and that must happen at all costs.

But I must share Waggys concerns about next season. We have little or no money to spend, so Sam will have to win football matches and winning ugly will be his only option.

I thought the long ball percentage stuff played Saturday was terrible to watch, but maybe we'll need to get used to it because we just don't have the finances to bring in quality footballers anymore.

Archived