BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Samba

Worked hard again today, but recieved no service and to be honest didnt recieve too many good crosses to attack either.

Was cruelly exposed as a square peg in a round hole, won less than he should have in the air (being beaten even by Alonso), his movement was poor because he's not a striker and can't be expected to learn how to be one in two weeks flat ...

We need him back in his proper position next Saturday.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why was he turned defender when he was 17? if he was a striker thats what he would be.We slated ince for playing players in wrong positions and i thought lessons would be learnt.You go to anfild etc with your strongest side and im afraid that means samba plays at the back and benni up front.

i can actually see why allardyce choose to go with samba up front on his own and not mcarthy-atleast he worked hard-something you are not going to get from mcarthy-if we played mcarthy up front on his own against league two opposition they would have a easy ride-just imagine against top defenders..

you cant play blame samba-its the midfield for not getting up and supporting him..

as for playing andrews right back-id prefer him to play over danny simpson who i think is the worst player at our club, but maybe ooijer could have played there with zurab centre back..

• Backroom

We should never have played Samba up front on his own. If we're that low on striking options we should have given one of the youths a chance up front instead, maybe even field a 4-4-1-1 and start Carlos behind said young striker. Samba could then have either gone back to DC where he belongs or have had a rest before the crunch Stoke game next week.

ABBEY - READ THIS SLOWLY.....

WE CANNOT RECALL OUR LOAN STRIKERS - DERBYSHIRE OR GALLAGHER.....

HOPEFULLY YOU UNDERSTOOD THAT!?!?!?

WE SHOULDNT BE LENDING THEM OUT IN THE FIRST PLACE OR IF WE DO PUT A RECALL CLAUSE IN........DOH!!!! COMPRENDE???????

WE HAVE NOT GOT THE SQUAD DEPTH TO DO SO ..WHICH HAS JUST BEEN PROVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHAMLES FROM THE BOARD FOR ALLOWING THIS SITUATION TO ARISE.

It is rather depressing that players like Derbyshire have to be taken off the wage bill to accommodate a couple of signings. The squad is malnourished due to a prolonged lack of investment.

It is rather depressing that players like Derbyshire have to be taken off the wage bill to accommodate a couple of signings. The squad is malnourished due to a prolonged lack of investment.

There's that misleading term again. 'Donation' being much closer the mark. SteB can you do that Lancs Utd thingy with the term 'investment' that'll turn it into 'fools gold' or similar?

btw To all that criticise our financial situation. We may not be big spenders in transfer fees, thank goodness, and I've no stats to back me up but after the top 4 aren't we quite high in the actual salary stakes?

Were we voting for player of the year to now ,I would rate Samba as our best performing player after Brett Emerton(so sorry hes crocked) this season...Best keep him where he belongs and doing what he does best..We really need to halt our inferior goal difference...

• Backroom

The Samba upfront experiment must be stopped... put him in defence where he belongs. Perhaps throw him up there to unsettle teams late in the game, as a last resort, but that's all.

The Samba upfront experiment must be stopped... put him in defence where he belongs. Perhaps throw him up there to unsettle teams late in the game, as a last resort, but that's all.

If Sam was determined to play one up front he had the choice to play the semi fit and lethargic McCarthy or Samba .

He made the right choice .

Incidentally , the Telegraph's headline "I don't blame Samba" was a disgrace . He was about the only one to emerge from the carnage with any credit .

was'nt paul warhust a cd then got chucked upfront for wednesday scored quite a few and we then payed big money for him, it can work just does'nt really work too well in a rovers shirt, its so long ago now i can hardly remember whether warhurst was ever any good for us.

If Sam was determined to play one up front he had the choice to play the semi fit and lethargic McCarthy or Samba .

He made the right choice .

Incidentally , the Telegraph's headline "I don't blame Samba" was a disgrace . He was about the only one to emerge from the carnage with any credit .

So incorrect tactics justify poor selection? He didn't have to be determined to play one up front, no one was forcing his hand. He had other options and taking away our best defender from the last few weeks and sticking him up front was a mistake. Liverpool have good defenders and big defenders and were unlikely to be too troubled with longball tactics and Carragher (with a little help from the ref) was able to keep Samba pretty much contained. Even if Samba had dominated in the air our set-up meant that no one was there to benefit from his work and we were only hurting ourselves with the way that we approached the game.

Throwing Samba up front makes sense when we are chasing games and he will trouble defenders in the last 10/20 minutes of games, but he isn't up to leading the line alone against one of the best defences in Europe. Hopefully Saturday will see him back to the position where he is best, he's been our best defender over the past couple of weeks and we need him back there.

Archived