BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Samba

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good point - would we not be best with Diouf out right though and maybe carlos creating that extra spark up top??

Unless we catch them on an off day, I think we are going to struggle against Stoke. They are very physical, work their hearts out and I am not sure we will be able to cope. Not sure the flair of Carlos would work well from the start, but we have limited options so may be worth a try.

Who would people go with against Stoke? Benni on his own? Benni & Carlos? Benni & Samba?

Based on who looks available I would go for a team of:

------------Samba-----Benni

Pedersen----------Warnock-----Diouf

-------------Grella

---Givet---Nelsen---Zurab---Ooijer

----------------Robinson

Until Roberts or Cruz get back I don't think we can take Samba away from the attack. Benni won't make things happen on his own, and I think Samba will work well with him in terms of providing material for the South African to work with. Carlos, Dunn and Tugay to make an appearence in the second half.

• Backroom

I'm not sure it's Carlos' type of game... it might be worth throwing him on in the 70th minute or so if we're 1-0 down or it's 0-0... but otherwise I just think he'd be ineffective in such a physical match.

Anyone would think Carlos is an oompa loompa who gets out-muscled every game. I've seen him hold his own on a few occasions, even in the derby with Bolton earlier in the season.

I fear Stoke could see through our usual gameplan. At least with Carlos we have an added dimension, and a bit of quality on the ball to surprise them.

• 2 weeks later...

A real handful again - had a hand in both goals really as both times he distracted the keeper on both.

Works so hard, and his value is soaring each week. Give the lad a new contract in the summer. He is a vital part of our team.

Samba up front is a last resort though..perhaps best used at home more than away from from home cos we need to improve our goal difference..We need to cash in on Santa ASAP and with quality buys under Sam we should be safer next season if you stay up..This season must be a lesson learned you cant play Russian roulette with picking a manager if you are in Premership.

Samba has to return to defence.

One things for certain now he's shown what a real danger he is in future and when we need a goal in the last quarter I think we'll see a lot of Samba being shoved up front and 'bombed' from deep. Scharner and Bramble were prepared for him and gave him a real working over......... and he gave em both one back too! :rover:

btw if the tactically bereft SGE had used Sol Campbell to do that job in the second half v 10 man Brazil we'd likely have knocked em out of the WC imo.

:rover: one thing lardarse should have learnt from saturday samba is no centre forward,ok throw him up front when we need a goal,but for 90 minutes no :angry::brfcsmilie:

He he he.

Did a good job yesterday. One thing I noticed is that the opposing defenders give him a lot of space, they let him have the time to bring the ball down rather than committing themselves to trying to win an aerial challenge with him and finding themselves out of position if they lose it. Luckily for us Samba has a decent touch and that allowed him to bring others in to play.

Its a decent tactic, but I'd still rather see him at the back alongside Givet.

Samba was terrific yesterday because he had support with him.

That's they key point from the game for me.

It would also explain why Sam wants a battering ram striker for next season...there is no harm in it if you have another striker to play off him. Then you can play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 with two genuine attackers alongside which would be better still.

And, by the way, the second goal WAS a foul. The big man took the keeper out completely.

But these things even themselves out, as they say.

And, by the way, the second goal WAS a foul. The big man took the keeper out completely.

But these things even themselves out, as they say.

Correct. Shame if it had been disallowed cos with the quality and pace of kick and header I don't think Kirkland would have got near to it.

As for evening itself out? Correct also, MU at Ewood saw a similar foul on Robinson.

• 2 weeks later...

We must hold on to him for at least a couple more season. Samba reminds me of Sol Campbell in his younger days ie big, strong, fast. His value will surely be more than 10 million if he manages to stay injury-free for a few seasons. In fact, if he's playing for a "bigger" club like spurs, I'm sure the papers will all be talking about him going to Man U, Arsenal or some other clubs!

I think if we have a good season next season then people will start to talk alot more about Samba. I just wish he would add abit more of a mean streak to his game - he's a big lad, he should really use that to his advantage.

I think if we have a good season next season then people will start to talk alot more about Samba. I just wish he would add abit more of a mean streak to his game - he's a big lad, he should really use that to his advantage.

Mean streak!?!

Have you not seen him bawling out the opposition?

He has to be twice as carfeul as everyone else when putting in a challenge as his long legs can easily make a yellow card offence look like a red.

Yeah I know he has been abit more 'mean' lately but id like to see it more often. If he went in with strong crunching/ but fair tackles each week then strikers & defenders would dread playing against him.

It was good to see him battering the Pompey defence.

Mean streak!?!

Have you not seen him bawling out the opposition?

He has to be twice as carfeul as everyone else when putting in a challenge as his long legs can easily make a yellow card offence look like a red.

And how many players have you seen flatten Dustbin and Campbell in the first 5 mins of a game - the challenge on the right back made everyone go 'whooooo' and wince. Some people would only settle for cannibalism.

The only thing Samba needs to improve for me is his goal scoring record, he should be a seriously potent weapon from set-pieces but he's hardly scored any at all. He wasd making some rash choices last season and at the start of this so hopefully sam can change that, but since he's up-front its hard to tell if he still does it.

Anyway he's worth 10M for me now anyway, CB come CF dual role and effective in both, but we must hang on to him, Sam won't let him go anyway.

Yeah I know he has been abit more 'mean' lately but id like to see it more often. If he went in with strong crunching/ but fair tackles each week then strikers & defenders would dread playing against him.

Trouble is that a lot of refs interpret Samba's strong crunching/ but fair tackles as yellow cards

It was good to see him battering the Pompey defence.

As Churchill said: oh yes! Looking forward to seeing John Terry in his pocket on Sunday!

Archived