BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bonkers Songs

Perhaps more appropriate for the close season but the little exchange about Soke fans singing Delilah with gusto set me thinking of which other fans sing songs with nothing to do with football.

There is blowing bubbles at West Ham and Blaydon Races at Newcastle (not heard that for a long time) which are about local identity rather than football.

Always got a spine tingling sensation when the Blackburn End hummed Annie's Song but that was soporific rather than inspirational.

Any other songs fans belt out which are neither about football nor have had the words altered to become football anthems?

For one freaky, fleeting moment then, I thought Philipl might be a Dizzee Rascal fan ...

:wacko:

Is he Norty's brother? I wonder whats happened to him?

"Always got a spine tingling sensation when the Blackburn End hummed Annie's Song but that was soporific rather than inspirational."

Don't really recall that that but I can rem everybody singing 'You are my sunshine' in a low funereal monotone as we were hammered and sunsequently relegated at Boundary Park. Very effective too but imo the creativity spark is long gone nowadays on the Blackburn End. Anybody care to speculate why?

Bristol Rovers sing the country and western classic Goodnight Irene - I can well remember it being sung as we lost to them in Bath in the middle of our desperate run before eventually getting promoted in 91/92.

Across the city Bristol City sing the seminal Worzels song Drink Up Ye Cider - hence their nickname the ciderheads.

Guest Vinjay606

Hard to be creative when the majority of chants include references to another (lower league) club. Hardly any wonder a lot of people don't want to join in is it? More people chanted from 97-2001 when people concentrated on our own club.

I don't recall anyone ever "humming" anything. It's called chanting though some might call it an attempt at singing.

Hard to be creative when the majority of chants include references to another (lower league) club. Hardly any wonder a lot of people don't want to join in is it? More people chanted from 97-2001 when people concentrated on our own club.

I don't recall anyone ever "humming" anything. It's called chanting though some might call it an attempt at singing.

Lots of things went on before you were born Vinjay.

No we didn't, it was a collective sigh, brought from the pits of collective stomachs.

That was a sigh of relief whenever Butch caught a high cross. :rolleyes: Nearly always preceded by an eerie silence whilst the ball was in the air where one could hear a pin drop.

We used to hum at Ewood Park when the football got a bit scrappy.

Was more of a 'nah nah nah nah nah nah naaaahhhh!!' than humming Phil

Then you always had Abbeys favourite 'ohhh... the bear went over the mountain''

They sung something like "You Fill Up My Senses, Like a greasy chip butty.."

In fact a quick word the the you tube and hey presto...

This really gets stuck in your head if you're at a game and they're signing it. Great stuff, wish we had something like this

Hard to be creative when the majority of chants include references to another (lower league) club. Hardly any wonder a lot of people don't want to join in is it?

Funnily enough thats all about history and rivalry, something far to many modern fans just don't understand.

Accy do a good rendition of 'A Greasy Chip Butty.'

Amazes me how so many macho/hardnut football fans have such wimpy songs. Chelsea about a bloke that goes to mow a meadow, West Ham about pretty bubbles in the air, Stoke with Delilah and Man U with Aniie's Song to name a few.

If United were called Manchester Rovers, with all the Irish songs with Rovers in the title, they would have a lot more than just our one.

I went along with a mate to a Norwich game away at the Valley this season. The fans were great in voice and number, but the range of chants / songs was, well, two. The first was the fairly standard and hugely repetitive 'Y'army'. The second was quite bizare and probably one of the oldest songs to still be heard regularly from the stands.

This is 'On the Ball City', or at least the bit that gets sung:

Kick it off, throw it in, have a little scrimmage,

Keep it low, a splendid rush, bravo, win or die;

On the ball, City, never mind the danger,

Steady on, now’s your chance,

Hurrah! We’ve scored a goal.

City, City, City.

I cannot describe the hilarity of watching a bunch of thuggish fans turn around the corner, clapping to initiate the chant, and then hearing the word 'scrimmage'! Talk about wussy songs for hardnut supporters!

Hearing that song chanted at least thirty times during the course of the game and numerous other times before and after kick off made me just how lucky I am to be a Rovers fan with at least a bit of variation in our singing. Hell, it made me thankful that at least we had 'get into 'em'!

There isn't any banter between fellow rovers fans these days.

I remember singing "oh, accrington is full of sh1t" in the BBE which was followed with rovers fans from accy singing "oh, accrington is wonderful".

"Darwen tower's falling down" was another, nobody singinging about coming from helmshore or abbey village any more :D:D

Can't even remember the last time the BBE sang "riverside give us a song...."

For Bonkers songs, I remember going to away games were some of the rovers fans would start shouting Rangers, to be followed by others shouting Celtic, I hope somebody else remembers that happening and its not just my memory going!

For Bonkers songs, I remember going to away games were some of the rovers fans would start shouting Rangers, to be followed by others shouting Celtic, I hope somebody else remembers that happening and its not just my memory going!

This used to quite common, especially when the standard of football was less than riveting. The BBE would split into two halves, one chanting Celtic the other Rangers, and after a while it ended up in a big brawl.

We used to hum at Ewood Park when the football got a bit scrappy.

All started by the late Jimmy Ashworth and the Adelphi boys in the early eighties Philipl, you must have been close to us in the Blackburn end because not all joined in.

This used to quite common, especially when the standard of football was less than riveting. The BBE would split into two halves, one chanting Celtic the other Rangers, and after a while it ended up in a big brawl.

Glad you remembered, I've always put that down as the reason why Rangers were my second team!

I remember "humming" along to annies song, "you are my rovers" was a good song especially the mad surge that followed it!

It was also good when half of the BBE used to sing "we are the rovers" and the other half used to sing "we hate Burnley"

Archived