BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Naughties, Or Were They Niceys!?!

Having read through the season review thread it got me thinking, the last full season of the decade has just finished & we are now embarking on a new era with a new manager & what looks like a new look team next year.

looking back over the last 10 years it has been a typical Rovers rollercoaster ride, Jansens Goal at deepdale that got us back up, signing Andy Cole, winning the Worthington cup against the odds, overachieving, flirting with relegation. We have had our share of great players but we have also seen a few awful ones!!

So I thought i would open my first thread on the BRFCS board to discuss how our beloved Rovers fared over the last 10, the highs, lows, excitement & embarressments. Who was your favourite player, the worst player or who was the most important player? What was your expectations 10 years ago, are we better off now? & most of all, with the face of football changing where do you see us in 10 years time?

Favourite player - Tugay

Most important player - Andy Cole (we'd have gone down if we didnt sign him). Ryan Nelsen a close second for his displays in Hughes' first season.

Best player - Brad

Worst player - Too many to mention but if i had to pick one then I'd say Grabbi because of the fee

Most annoying player - Barry Ferguson (what a load of hype that was)!

Best moment - Worthington Cup win

Worst moment - The whole Ince episode, especially his first interview. The writing was on the wall!

Next 10 years - I'd settle for the same again, we have to be realistic. Depends on investment although I fear the bad old days if we went down!

think johnny stead and martin andresen (sp) deserve a mention help keeping us up back when souness was in charge........ plenty of special moments getting promoted at deepdale, worthington cup win, and of course beating burnley three times along the way

Qualified for the Uefa Cup 4 times

6th place 2 times

4 semi finals

That record is something special, and one many posters on here still have to pinch themselves to believe after the baron 60's 70's and 80's.

Add Champions of England, Champions league, another UEFA cup campaign and couple more semi finals over the past 15-20 years and it just goes to show we’re a very successful, well established top flight football club.

Sort of puts the comments by our burnley friends about being scared of them into perspective don’t you think :D

That record is something special, and one many posters on here still have to pinch Add Champions of England, Champions league, another UEFA cup campaign and couple more semi finals over the past 15-20 years and it just goes to show we’re a very successful, well established top flight football club.

Plus good ol' Mike Newell still holds the record for the hatrick in Champions League history the season after winning the Prem!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Cup_...ics#Goalscoring

Overall it's been a good few years, pretty good in the last 10 too :rover:

That record is something special, and one many posters on here still have to pinch themselves to believe after the baron 60's 70's and 80's.

Add Champions of England, Champions league, another UEFA cup campaign and couple more semi finals over the past 15-20 years and it just goes to show we’re a very successful, well established top flight football club.

Sort of puts the comments by our burnley friends about being scared of them into perspective don’t you think :D

dont forget the league cup!

Favourite player - Matt Jansen.

Most important player - Probably Brad Friedel just due to the sheer amount of points he gained us over the years.

Best player - Tugay has always been a joy to watch in a Rovers shirt. Some of his goals were unreal.

Worst player - We've had our fair few, if I had to name one it would be Kevin Davies!

Most annoying player - Even though he was only a season Craig Bellamy just for the blatant lies.

Best moment - League Cup win that I was there, but the feeling when Jansen scored at Deepdale was amazing.

Worst moment - The first few months of this season. After Wigan away I thought that our tenure in the Premier League was about to come to an abrut end.

Next 10 years - Ideally winning the league again :lol:. Realisticly speaking Europe atleast 3 more times, a cup final apperance in either F.A or League Cup. Another day out like Old Trafford in the Semis will be excellent. This year have a decent pre-season this summer and carry on with the foundations that Mark Hughes started and keep us a top 10 team.

One Love; BRFC.

Plus good ol' Mike Newell still holds the record for the hatrick in Champions League history the season after winning the Prem!!!!

Must admit I wasnt sure so I just looked that one up "The fastest ever Champions League hat-trick was scored by Mike Newell who scored three goals in 9 minutes for Blackburn Rovers against Rosenborg B.K. in the 1995–96 season."

Best moment - Leaugue Cup win that I was there, but the feeling when Jansen scored at Deepdale was amazing.

Got to say these were my to favourite moments too, the cup win being won of the most enjoyable matches i have watched in the last 10 years but as you say, i still get goose bumps when i think of Jansens goal!!

We lost Uncle Jack - RIP big man

6th place 2 times

4 semi finals

4 managers

put like that, it compares extremely well against all the oher decades, I have followed the Rovers for. The 70's and 80's were a continuous struggle, although full of fond memories. Probably only the 1990's compare beter than the naughties in recent times.

I reckon my old fella would have pulled you up about the 60's Gav, well the early 60's at least. He was a Dougie fanatic and also waxed lyrical about the likes of Roy Vernon and Fred Pickering. He reckons that Bill Shankley was quoted as saying our forward line of the early 60's could score three goals in a match against any side in the world.

Much like Benni and Samba.

It does look fantastic when it'll all rolled in to a couple of lines of text.

Can any other team outside the top 4 compete with that in terms of trophies, European campaigns, top 6 finishes etc over the last 15 years? I wouldn't be surprised if we are statistically "the best of the rest".

If we wanted to go back a little further than the last ten years, there were the 4 Wembley appearances - 2 Charity shields, one full members cup win and one wembley tournament that I don't remember the details of.

I reckon my old fella would have pulled you up about the 60's Gav, well the early 60's at least. He was a Dougie fanatic and also waxed lyrical about the likes of Roy Vernon and Fred Pickering. He reckons that Bill Shankley was quoted as saying our forward line of the early 60's could score three goals in a match against any side in the world.

I agree with your old fella, mine says the same, but I think we're talking about achievements.

Look at what we've done over the past 15 to 20yrs, when you see it laid out in front of you its very impressive indeed.

Favourite player - close call between Matt Jansen, Robbie Savage, Garry Flitcroft and Tugay. Got to be Tugay.

Most important player - Brad Friedel

Best player - Tugay by a million miles. Comparing Alexander to him is like comparing a pit pony with a headband to Red Rum

Worst value player - Grabbi

Least skilful player - Mokoena

Biggest tosser - Barry Ferguson

Best moment - Worthington cup final whistle

Best laugh - the look on Geordie faces when they realised it wasn't a joke that they'd appointed Souness. Was that the beginning of the end...?

Worst moment - losing Jack

Best atmosphere - being 4-1 up against Man Utd (and then hanging on!)

Worst referee - too many to list

There are a quite few Brummies down my local who rave about them, too. A bit before my time but they must've been quite a sight to still get talked about from so long ago and (in these fellas' cases) so far from Ewood!

:D

We lost Uncle Jack - RIP big man

6th place 2 times

4 semi finals

4 managers

Won the Wothington cup in 2002.

Having a eight year unbeaten home record against Man U plus doing the double over Manchester United a couple of seasons back.

STILL only one of four teams to have won the premiership since 1992/3.

The clubs profile has been raised immensly thanks to Graeme Souness and Mark Hughes.

Now I think the nation feels comfortable or at least accepts Blackburn Rovers as a top premiership football club.

6th place 2 times

4 semi finals

4 managers

Won the Wothington cup in 2002.

Having a eight year unbeaten home record against Man U plus doing the double over Manchester United a couple of seasons back.

STILL only one of four teams to have won the premiership since 1992/3.

The clubs profile has been raised immensly thanks to Graeme Souness and Mark Hughes.

Now I think the nation feels comfortable or at least accepts Blackburn Rovers as a top premiership football club.

So when you posted this ---

Glad to read Tugay4England and Tony gales mic take on John Williams and the board in completely getting the recruitment of a suitable manager wrong for Blackburn Rovers football club last summer.

There was some alarming errors of judgement that came to light that question their integrity to take the club forward certainly for me .

--- you were talking rubbish, right?

Or does a flitation with relegation in 2009 wipe out the League Cup, promotion, 4 semifinals, 4 UEFA campaigns, 2 6th places, "raised profile", Graeme Souness, Mark Hughes, "nation feeling comfortable", "top premiership football club", cheapest tickets in the league, etc, etc, etc - you don't think any of that is "taking the club forward"???

:wstu:

Last 10 years

Favourite players - Matt Jansen, Tugay and Morten Gamst Pedersen

Best player - Tugay

Worst player - Grabbi

Best moments - Promotion at Deepdale, Worthington Cup final win against Spurs, Beating Man Utd at Old Trafford for the first time in years, pasting Burnley home and away and winning at the Valley on our last away game of the season 05/06 with the inflatables and fancy dress.

Worst moment - Relegation, losing the semi-finals, especially the 2-1 defeat to Chelsea!

Next 10 years - Hopefully get back in Europe, champions league football, challenge at the top of the Premiership again, make it to Wembley and win another cup!

--- you were talking rubbish, right?

Or does a flitation with relegation in 2009 wipe out the League Cup, promotion, 4 semifinals, 4 UEFA campaigns, 2 6th places, "raised profile", Graeme Souness, Mark Hughes, "nation feeling comfortable", "top premiership football club", cheapest tickets in the league, etc, etc, etc - you don't think any of that is "taking the club forward"???

:wstu:

Hiring Ince was a dumb ass decision, end of, that should never ever have happened. Also to have appointed Shearer before Ince wasnt purely going on sound judgment either was it ?.

What has been built up you cant deny, but you can certainly question going forward, if these are two most recent and alarming decisions that the board wanted and did do and saw fit and correct to do. Plus being swayed by fans on a facebook petition doesnt show a clear strength of mind to me Tris.

Rovers have ended up with a devalued product in need of even more attention than it did before Tris, how many more inbalanced decisions are these guys capable of that are going to wreck the chances of taking Rovers forward in the future.

I'll hold my hands and admit my mistakes but i've not heard anything from these guys admitting their mistakes when it was plain to see that action was needed to fire Ince and his associates, things just dragged on for far too long.

Only 17 so don't remember a lot, didn't go to Cardiff for the 2002 final.

Favourite player - Matt Jansen

Best player - Tugay

Worst value player - Grabbi

Biggest tosser - Ince

Best moment - For me, was the 2-1 win vs Burnley. Roberts' goal at OT vs Chelsea, that feeling in the living room when we won the Worthington Cup (couldn't go that day due to my Dad having a dodgy knee). Promotion felt good, but again didn't go. The feeling this year when I knew we were staying up. Dickov's 90th minute winner at Boro' in the Carling Cup, loved that away trip. Enjoyed our 2-1 win at United in the Stretford End.

Best laugh - Pavyluchenko's goal at Turf Moor, beating Burnley 5-0 (remember it well), some of Savage's antics.

Worst moment - Wigan 3-0 Rovers, Man City's leveller at Ewood this season. Ballack's extra time heartbreaker, although I was proud of the team that day. Don't remember Jack's death clearly or the relegation. My away form this year, been to 10 away games, yet to see a win!

Best atmosphere - Can't remember a lot, 2-1 at home to Burnley was great, although Stoke away was superb this year. Sheffield Wednesday in the Cup Semi at Hillsbrough deserves a mention, as does the FA Cup Semi vs Chelsea.

Archived