BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] End Of Manc Dominance?

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reputedly richest club on the planet is really the poorest or at any rate the most in debt. The next Real Madrid can't stay in the black to save it's life either. What a sorry mess football has become in my lifetime.

Difference between them and us is that you just know when the sh1t finally hits the fan some massively wealthy nouveau riche 3rd world gangster will pop up to bale em out and everything will be forgotten with no lessons learned.

• 1 month later...
  • Backroom

£24m for a 29 year old who is notorious for being injury prone is not terrible business for Arsenal.

If RVP stays fit, it's a huge signing for United. If his injuries flare up, it could be a very costly signing indeed.

http://uk.eurosport....791MIe0K108#_=_

Pretty pithy comments about the Glazers from across the pond

That 659 million followers across the world always makes me laugh.....they surveyed a few thousand people in about 20 countries then rounded it up and now they spout it any chance they get.

£24m for Van Persie....title in the bag in my eyes

As for 'End of the manc dominance' - when's that again?

Until he gets injured.....no title is ever in the bag anyway......Man City still might strengthen and Yaya Toure won't be at the African Cup of Nations this time.....and Silva was pretty bad in the last few months of the season.....and Chelsea will be stronger.

Why won't Yaya Toure be at the African Cup of Nations?

Ivory Coast's qualifier isn't a formality, but if they beat Senegal then I can't see why he wouldn't be in their squad for the tournament unless he's retired from internationals and I didn't hear about it.

If he does go he'll only miss one big game, though. Their fixtures for the weeks when the tournament takes place are Fulham (H), QPR (A), Liverpool (H) and Southampton (A).

RVP is an amazing signing for Man U and I'm looking forward to seeing how he and Rooney link up this year.

Potentially one of the best front pairings in the history of the Premier League.

Be interesting to see how Utd use their strikers. With Hernandez, Rooney, Berbatov, Wellbeck and RVP it'll be hard to juggle as they all pretty much play down the middle. If Rooney and RVP click then they could be incredible although RVP is overdue a season ending injury soon. Its a gamble but when you consider how brilliant RVP was last season its a gamble worth taking I think. Wenger needs to re-invest the money quickly in central midfield and a proper full back. Giroud better hit the ground running for them.

The atmosphere at the Emirates for when these two meet will be toxic.

Hernandez is now seen as a super sub/Solksjaer.....Berbatov is leaving.....Welbeck has a shocking touch but apart from that he's decent and they've given him a new 75,000 a week contract.

I think Rooney will just be playing off RVP.....if Rooney isn't playing RVP will be the one to play off Welbeck I imagine.....they have a very good squad and the best manager in the world....I hope Jones gets played at CB though.

As for Arsenal, I like Andre Santos....him and Neymar were Brazil's best players at a game I saw live once....once he got used to the league I was impressed but then he got injured I think...and Sagna is the best RB in the League.......Santi Cazorla means Arshavin and Rosicky can now play in the middle in their natural position........if I was Wenger I would buy a keeper......although I would have done that years and years ago.

Szcezney is getting there so there is no real need for a new keeper. Andre Santos has a long long way to go. He was a liability last year and Gibbs is also not cutting it. Sagna is decent but they need cover desperately otherwise they'll be playing centre backs out of position as they were last season. Arshavin will struggle to get a game and Rosicky played in the middle with Arteta towards the end of last season.

The Arsenal fans I've spoken to rate Cazorla as their best signing so I'm looking forward to seeing him play. Podolski, Giroud, Walcott, Chamberlain and Cazorla certainly give them options going forward but nothing like RVP. I'd certainly focus on getting in a central midfielder or two. I have very little time for Ramsey and Arteta only seems to influence a game when his side are on top. They lack a drive from midfield especially as Wilshere is out.

Utd's major problems are also in midfield. Carrick, Scholes, Cleverly and Giggs are far too lightweight. As much as RVP is a great signing, their biggest problem still needs to be addressed.

I don't rate Szecheny at all.....his positioning is poor and he still makes errors....and statistics say only Robinson had a lower shots-to-save ratio....maybe saves-to-goals ratio......Andre Santos was a liability at the start, then got a lot better but then got injured and was out for quite a while I think...he will come good.....never rated Gibbs....but yea I agree they need back-up just not someone to start over Sagna or Santos.

I hope Arshavin stays...he is so much better in the middle, he's never a winger/wide player.......but like you said Rosicky was played in the middle last year and it took Wenger about 6/7 years to realise that's his best position as well.

Cazorla is quality, I've seen him a few times for Malaga, he'll be one of the signings of the season no doubt......never seen Giroud apart from at the Euros....could potentially be another Chamakh you never know.....Podolski seems to play better for Germany but can be a great player on his day.......Ramsey isn't the same player and Arteta is really good but in Arsenal's system is told to sit back and let the rest venture forward......if it was up to me I would start Arshavin but he'll probably leave and they'll require an attacking CM.....Dembele would be good.

Fletcher is a big loss for Utd but Cleverly might come good....I agree they need a bit of strength in there.....both these teams have been linked with Victor Wanyama from Celtic.....he's exactly what Utd need, he is a class player.

Interesting to see how he goes, how long was he at Arsenal and how much did he actually play? Excellent player on his day but I think he will sit most of his contract out injured like he did at Arsenal.

8 years, averaged just over 20 games in the league I think I read recently until he managed to stay injury free last season.....Arsenal fans say he owes them for sticking by him through his injury problems.....they have a point but the best players want to win trophies.

Until he gets injured.....no title is ever in the bag anyway......Man City still might strengthen and Yaya Toure won't be at the African Cup of Nations this time.....and Silva was pretty bad in the last few months of the season.....and Chelsea will be stronger.

Didnt they win more or less every game that Toure missed??

As for IF he gets injured....same could be said about Kompany. You have to realise, United had massive injury problems last season and only lost the title to a 93rd minute goal at the Etihad..... They have strengthened, City havent really.

I honestly think United will win the league.

.....they have a point but the best players want to win trophies.

Bit naive there Salgado if you don't mind me saying so. Trophies are a by-product. Icing on the cake at best. Players and their agents always make all the right sort of noises BUT in 99% of cases money ALWAYS comes first!

Didnt they win more or less every game that Toure missed??

As for IF he gets injured....same could be said about Kompany. You have to realise, United had massive injury problems last season and only lost the title to a 93rd minute goal at the Etihad..... They have strengthened, City havent really.

I honestly think United will win the league.

Did they? Not sure....just remember they weren't playing as well........it's not really the same as saying Kompany might get injured at any time though because Van Persie has had injury problems in 7 out of his 8 seasons at Arsenal.......I agree that Utd had injury problems and how they've strengthened but City were poor for most of the 2nd half of the season, the title race looked to be over......if Tevez stays, him and Aguero's partnership could be better than RVP and Rooney, they'e certainly showed that they can work together very effectively in the past......there's still 2 weeks left of the transfer window though....I wouldn't be surprised at all if they signed at least a couple more players.......there's still Chelsea as well....with their new signings, and if Torres gets back to his best they will be a major force this season imo.

Bit naive there Salgado if you don't mind me saying so. Trophies are a by-product. Icing on the cake at best. Players and their agents always make all the right sort of noises BUT in 99% of cases money ALWAYS comes first!

Well yea I know....obviously to a degree though otherwise they would all be playing in Qatar, China and for Anjhi Machalaka or whatever they're called......my point was that although money is the main factor, because it's their job and they're no different from the rest of us, the top players still have ambition as well.....I believe that if Utd and Arsenal offered the same amount of money RVP would still go to Utd.....because Arsenal win nothing......you must admit that a player at the end of his career would want something offer than the vast amount of wealth to show for it? In terms of medals etc.....as in it would play a factor.....Spurs offer you 100 grand a week, Chelsea offer you 85/90.....a fair few would go to Chelsea imo.

Archived