BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] End Of Manc Dominance?

I was watching the United game there (until Park scored the inevitable go-ahead goal that is) and I have to say this green and gold campaign is really getting on my tits. I see these bloody scarves all over the place now and it speaks to a need amongst United's vast consumer base to act like supporters of a proper club. United sold its soul years ago. Attempting to wrestle it back now with the the aid of some silly viral movement is just silly. God I hate them.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Prem football is going to be worth even more soon to clubs like us....

Prem overseas rights sold for more than double

According to this article the new oversea's deal which starts next term is now worth around £13m extra per yer, per club @ £1.4bn.

It also states that before long overseas rights will over-take UK rights.

More money in the kitty...

I was watching the United game there (until Park scored the inevitable go-ahead goal that is) and I have to say this green and gold campaign is really getting on my tits. I see these bloody scarves all over the place now and it speaks to a need amongst United's vast consumer base to act like supporters of a proper club. United sold its soul years ago. Attempting to wrestle it back now with the the aid of some silly viral movement is just silly. God I hate them.

I think that's a bit unfair. There's no doubt that they have their fair share of plastic supporters, but that comes with success; but having said that there are plenty of genuine fans and to see the way that there club's finances have been taken from probably the best position in world football to a very delicate situation is rather appalling. The fans are quite right to be up in arms about it, sure the scarves don't do much and in the end they just have to wait until someone new buys them, but we would do exactly the same. They may have sold their souls in may respects years ago, but they simply were good at a time when merchandising and sponsorship really took off, you can't hate them for that.

I think that's a bit unfair. There's no doubt that they have their fair share of plastic supporters, but that comes with success; but having said that there are plenty of genuine fans and to see the way that there club's finances have been taken from probably the best position in world football to a very delicate situation is rather appalling. The fans are quite right to be up in arms about it, sure the scarves don't do much and in the end they just have to wait until someone new buys them, but we would do exactly the same. They may have sold their souls in may respects years ago, but they simply were good at a time when merchandising and sponsorship really took off, you can't hate them for that.

Yes, locals.

Just because some guy from Plymouth wears a scarf, goes to games and is upset when they lose doesn't make it right!

Plastic football fans go against everything a real football fan should be.

You support a club that's local, a club with family or some other tie or you may have a story behind why you support your club- many overseas fans on here for example.

Supporting Utd because your dad and his dad were glory hunters is pathetic.

Yes, locals.

Just because some guy from Plymouth wears a scarf, goes to games and is upset when they lose doesn't make it right!

Plastic football fans go against everything a real football fan should be.

You support a club that's local, a club with family or some other tie or you may have a story behind why you support your club- many overseas fans on here for example.

Supporting Utd because your dad and his dad were glory hunters is pathetic.

sorry but you have completely contradicted yourself there. "a club with family or some other tie" then go gainst it by saying "supporting utd because your did and his dad were glory hunters is pathetic" That is a family tie

sorry but you have completely contradicted yourself there. "a club with family or some other tie" then go gainst it by saying "supporting utd because your did and his dad were glory hunters is pathetic" That is a family tie

Well of course it is, but family ties with most clubs aren't just because the family like to attach themselves to the teams that win everything.

A bloke in Plymouth sees George Best play in the 1960s decides to 'support' Utd and as a result brings his son up to do the same, they are glory hunters pure and simple, 'my dad was a Utd fan' is the flimsy excuse of the Plastic when trying to justify not supporting his local club.

Well of course it is, but family ties with most clubs aren't just because the family like to attach themselves to the teams that win everything.

A bloke in Plymouth sees George Best play in the 1960s decides to 'support' Utd and as a result brings his son up to do the same, they are glory hunters pure and simple, 'my dad was a Utd fan' is the flimsy excuse of the Plastic when trying to justify not supporting his local club.

I know what you mean - it's interesting/amusing/infuriating when talking to manure fans it seems they all have families who've supported united since the dawn of time. They all seem uber defensive on the subject.

I was hoping with their financial problems - you cannot be in that much debt and not have difficulties - that someone might give the push manure need to see their ascendency toppling down. Alas this does not seem like the case - Chelsea are wobbling like mad, Liverpool are not very good, Arsenal won't do it with their current structure and no one else really looks likely, even city. Looks like a very vulnerable united will get away with things and continue to be a major player for quite some time.

Looks like Prem football is going to be worth even more soon to clubs like us....

Prem overseas rights sold for more than double

According to this article the new oversea's deal which starts next term is now worth around £13m extra per yer, per club @ £1.4bn.

It also states that before long overseas rights will over-take UK rights.

More money in the kitty...

You seriously think that money goes in some sort of kitty?!

Im sorry but £13m extra will not be swallowed up by wages alone...it will help towards debts/ player recruitment surely?! :blink:

Consider what happened to the last rise in money. It was about 20m per club if I rem correctly and most is now either floating around the Med or in huge tasteless villa's on the mainland.

There's a meeting of the Red Knights (or Red Brigade as I prefer) tonight in London I think. All the 40-50 who are willing to invest 20 each are apparently big hitters in the City and presumably live around the London area. The Chairman of JD sports was spluttering madly on TV this morning when asked if he was one of the gang. It was obvious that he is.

Thing is that in my experience no business works that is run by committee so I feel that even if it gets off the ground there is a certain inevitability that it will end in tears. These guys will be ruthless and hard headed businessmen who are used to getting their own way, I can't really see them working together. Unless the whole thing is organised rigidly from the start every meeting will be like a dog fight.

I understand the first item on the agenda this evening is to explore the possibility of moving Old Trafford to the Olympic stadium to be nearer to their fans. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Archived