BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mr X - Guess Away

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had it not been for all the build up, I think most people would be happy with Di Santo on loan. It's the fear that he is going to be our marquee signing for the summer that is bumming everyone out.

Trouble is in all the excitement and fun we were having (Luca Toni, anyone?) a lot of us have forgotten that this is the market we are in. I'm sure I'm not on my own in hoping that all of this pauper talk by the club is just a negotiation tool and "Surprise! We've just signed Obafemi Martins" is going to be announced. Well it's not. Loans and freebies are where we are at - and even then those who are prepared for low wages.

Let's get a bit of perspective. If we sell Roque for anything over £10M and have a loanee striker (someone on the up, rather than over the hill), then we have funds (hopefully) and time to make a decent judgement, and continegency in January.

I'm sure Roversmum will be pleased anyway! (A boy in need of some motherly love!) ;)

john-terry-franco-di-santo.jpg:wub:

The point that I was trying to make is that Chelsea have plans for Di Santos, Scolari said so when he signed for them. For Chelsea to give him the No 9 shirt is significant because it shows that they see him as a big part of their future plans.

I dont see this as a replacement for RSC and would be disappointed if this was, however as an addition to our squad I would be ecstatic! :D

Derbyshire has scored a few goals but he is not quick enough for us or strong enough to warrant a place in our first 11, so anything over £3 million and I will bite their hand off!

he would be a decent signing to replace derbs with but not roque. However if we did get him on loan then we could use the santa Cruz money to sign a striker with pace which is something we are desparte for,somebody like tchite from Santander or even Cisse.

So our big new striker is an unproven kid on loan? What a crock of poo. Fair enough he may be the next big thing, but then he may be over hyped rubbish. And on loan too, so if he is the real deal, Chelsea will instantly take him back.

Oh effing great.

The point that I was trying to make is that Chelsea have plans for Di Santos, Scolari said so when he signed for them. For Chelsea to give him the No 9 shirt is significant because it shows that they see him as a big part of their future plans.

I dont see this as a replacement for RSC and would be disappointed if this was, however as an addition to our squad I would be ecstatic! :D

Derbyshire has scored a few goals but he is not quick enough for us or strong enough to warrant a place in our first 11, so anything over £3 million and I will bite their hand off!

Fair enough Imy, fair play. If we get in somebody like Di Santo and maybe one of Luca Toni, Nihat or Klose as the RSC replacement then id be happy.

Luca Toni/Nihat/Klose

Benni Mac

Roberts

Di Santo

That looks like a good strike force.

Fair enough Imy, fair play. If we get in somebody like Di Santo and maybe one of Luca Toni, Nihat or Klose as the RSC replacement then id be happy.

Luca Toni/Nihat/Klose

Benni Mac

Roberts

Di Santo

Somehow I don't think Di Santo is going to come to Rovers to sit on the bench - he could have that at Chelsea, surely.

I'm still wondering why we have first refusal on him though, i.e. what's in it for Chelsea? Guaranteed playing time?

Guest benmaxwell
Somehow I don't think Di Santo is going to come to Rovers to sit on the bench - he could have that at Chelsea, surely.

I'm still wondering why we have first refusal on him though, i.e. what's in it for Chelsea? Guaranteed playing time?

That's if Chelsea come out of this summer without signing a new striker, which as far as i have heard is highly unlikely.

Luca Toni/Nihat/Klose

Benni Mac

Roberts

Di Santo

Can we pour cold water on the possibility of us ever signing Luca Toni or Klose.

There is literally NO CHANCE.

6 points, - as he wouldnt be able to play against them.

Find it strange that Sturridge whose leaving City because theres no playing guarantee, is preparing to join Chelsea where still no playing guarantee.

I'm sure Roversmum will be pleased anyway! (A boy in need of some motherly love!) ;)

john-terry-franco-di-santo.jpg:wub:

Think I'll wait until he is signed and sealed and depends whether he is prepared to carry my shopping or not ;)

he is an excellent signing. no doubt abt that. i think people are more ###### off at nicko more than anything as he built this signing up too much but if we didn't have nicko and it was announced that we sign di santo on loan then we would all be estastic.

Guest benmaxwell

How can it be Roque's replacement if it's a year long loan?

I would be disappointed if this was anything less then Derbyshire's replacement to be honest. How is swapping a 20 a goal striker on a 4 year deal, for a unproven striker at Premier League level on a year long loan, good business. Only if we signed him with a view, and brought in a solid Roque replacement would i be happy.

Bent and Franco for Roque and Derbs with cash left over for midfield for instance.

Guest benmaxwell

Like i said. Really hoping this is Nicko's Mr Y.

Didn't Nicko say he wouldn't reveal the story unless the deal was close?

I don't believe some of you knock the bloke before he has even signed! as Nicko says this is the sort of player we should be going for. Young up and coming and will improve with age. I would say it is a replacement for Derbs if it becomes permanent I think if it comes of it could be a stroke of genius,also did not chelsea get linked with sturridge & Caicedo. It says in the paper we have first refusal on the deal. I would say we are in pole position to pounce, says we have a top level agreement so I would say that rules out boro out of the equation. I for one am glad just the sort of player we should be looking at to improve and moving the team forward. Hopefully will sign then if he gets better might want to stay here permanently. I wish people would be realistic who else could we get for small change? and don't say Luca Toni, Nihat, Klose the only way we could get either of those 3 if Roque goes even today spurs are linked with Toni here's hoping we pull this one off!

what makes it a safer news item now than last week?

Maybe the top level agreement wasnt in place that if he goes on loan, he goes to us. Or maybe the player didnt know until then?!

I honestly don't know. Nicko pm'd me the story yesterday so I know as much as you do I just read it a day early.

Strangely, 3 hours after I was told Sparky Marky guessed on here. Could have been coincidence but I doubt it. Wonder how he knew?

Exactly what I thought - how did you know Sparky??

Right at the start Nickp said this guy is not a replacement for Cruz, but in addition to him.

I guess he has said bhe could be a replacement in the article to make the story more newsworthy, when it is not the case. If we lose Cruz their is no way Di Santo will be the only striker signing.

This reminds me of the messageboard at the time of Paul Dickov joining.

"If he's the replacement for Yorke, that's Ok. If he's the replacement for Cole that's not OK".

In the end he was effectively the replacement for both.

Swap Cole for Santa and Yorke for Matty...

Right at the start Nickp said this guy is not a replacement for Cruz, but in addition to him.

I guess he has said bhe could be a replacement in the article to make the story more newsworthy, when it is not the case. If we lose Cruz their is no way Di Santo will be the only striker signing.

And yet in his published version he says he's a replacement for Roque.

There's a thread for Di Santos by the way. If we want to keep the fun going, this thread might be worth being changed to the Mister Y thread.

Archived