BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Relegation Watch 2009-10 Season

I listened to the Hull - Pompey game on 5Live and it sounded really poor. Pompey appeared to be the better and more creative of the two teams, and when you consider Hull were the home side, that can only mean trouble for them. Pompey's form will improve but Hull need to be winning the home games against the teams around them, and they could easily have lost this.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pourtsmouth must have created about 30 clear cut chances in their last 3 games and finished about 2 of them

Hull in their last 2 games havent created one chance

Both sides will probably go down because of theose two things

Surely Pompey's domination in games will eventually result in the points and results they deserve. Next week they are playing Wigan at home - a game they simply must win, which if they do, will put them back in contention with the other strugglers. Hull go to Burnley and then have home games against Stoke and West Ham, so they also must take a decent return of points especially after yesterday's poor result.

So Pompey have finally got their first points of the season at Fratton Park and have put themselves right back in contention with the sides above them. Hull City's slump continues with another away day defeat at Burnley and surely manager Phil Brown must be on borrowed time. Phil's achievements at the club have been unprecedented but despite that, Hull need a change in fortunes and management as soon as possible. West Ham have shown signs of improvement in recent weeks with draws at home to Arsenal and away to Sunderland, but still await their first league success since the opening day of the season.

Worse than that if Wham win on Wednesday we will be in the bottom three and should Pompey win at Ewood, both likely scenarios, they will go above us on goal difference. Last season at this stage we were in 13th spot with 12 points and a goal difference of -7.

Next 4 games for us: Pompey (H), Bolton (A), Fulham (A), Stoke (H).

Followed by the next 3: Liverpool (H), Hull (A), Birmingham (A)

From that 1st lot we need to see at least 8 points. This is when the season starts to get interesting for us..Beat Pompey & we will jump some way clear of them & Hull. Infact looking at next saturdays games - win and we should be sat in 13th come 5pm.

Pompey are terrible.... Hull looked worse (and lost thier keeper to injury) - Unless there is a big change both are going down.

Next 4 games for us: Pompey (H), Bolton (A), Fulham (A), Stoke (H).

Followed by the next 3: Liverpool (H), Hull (A), Birmingham (A)

From that 1st lot we need to see at least 8 points. This is when the season starts to get interesting for us..Beat Pompey & we will jump some way clear of them & Hull. Infact looking at next saturdays games - win and we should be sat in 13th come 5pm.

In free fall after a 4-0 win?

They have improved which can be dangerous - they are like a wounded animal, so we must take some caution.

Its important we keep it tight for the first 15 mins and not conceded a stupid goal as they will just park the bus if that happened. We need to be patient and ensure we take our chances, because we will get them! Pleasssssssse therefore do not play Roberts!!

Im going for 3-0 Rovers.

Mathmatically impossible for us to be 13th on your prediction. We'd also need to score as many goals in one game as we have all season. wink.gif

Infact looking at next saturdays games - win and we should be sat in 13th come 5pm.

Mathmatically impossible for us to be 13th on your prediction. We'd also need to score as many goals in one game as we have all season. wink.gif

10 pts current + 3 = 13pts

Everton in 13th Currently have 12 pts.

Wigan in 12th have 13 pts but 4 goal better goal difference

The fixtures for saturday are:

Aston Villa v Bolton, 15:00

Blackburn v Portsmouth, 15:00

Man City v Burnley, 15:00

Tottenham v Sunderland, 15:00

Wolverhampton v Arsenal, 17:30

Now unless Bolton or Wolves win.... then we would be 13th should we win.

:rock::lol: Not quite sure where you went to School, but thats how they did Maths at mine! ;)

No - West ham would be on the same points as us with an 18 goals superior GD.

If we look at Pompey, the manner of defeat yesterday was just about as awful as it could have got. They came to Ewood on a high, got a deserved ht lead and then got tonked by a team they couldn't live with in the second half. Yet Rovers must have looked like being the club they felt they could have sent down in their place at 4pm yesterday.

Pompey and Hart looked completely beaten and gutted 45 minutes later and it is going to take a huge amount for them to come back from that. It was a big game for Rovers yesterday but it was an even bigger game for Pompey and it is hard to think of a worse way for them to have lost it.

Don't rule out <b>West Ham</b>. A side poorer than Rovers who had some fortunate results. Without any real reinforcements a bad run could expose them.

Relegated. <b>Hull, Burnley, Portsmouth.</b>

stand by my predictions. I think West Ham have yet to implode both financially, managerally and performance wise.

• 3 weeks later...

More chaos in recent days at Portsmouth with Paul Hart being the first manager to be sacked this season. Avram Grant has been heavily linked with the vacant position, but has a very difficult job on his hands with the club bottom and 4 points adrift of safety. I personally believe Pompey will still go down as their dreadful start to the season may cost them heavily.

We're on track for 46-47 points at the current pace. 16 points in 13 games, or 1.23 points per game. 1.23 multiplied by 38= 46.74.

I think current place is a litte slow, so I'm betting about 50 points for the season. And its nice to have Warwick Univ. confirm my estimate. :D

Sorry to prick the optimism but after saying for months we will certainly be ok I now have both ourselves and Burnley as definite relegation candidates but not (yet) relegation favourites.

The reason is that there seems to be enough fight and quality at the bottom to haul any or all of the clubs beneath us out of trouble so it comes down to looking at the quality and fight in ourselves and the dingles.

The only quality the dingles have is in the dug-out. The Prem is superb at "sorting teams out" so I expect the dingles' home form will get rumbled by more than just Wigan and that they will be very lucky indeed to get their away form sorted. I listened to Radio Lancashire before kick-off and the dingle commentators were not just confident of a win, they were certain they were going to win at Upton Park...

As for us, we don't have the same quality in the dug-out as Coyle but we have some quality on the field- David Dunn. We are literaly a one man team and if he is missing for any length of time we could go on a horrible run then not have the quality to pull ourselves out of it. More to the point, if we get into trouble, the personality of Sam is such, the club is far more likely to pull itself apart rather than pull together.

November's results and performances have been of greater concern than that run of five away defeats at the start of the season.

At this stage five points ahead of 18th and three above 17th, all I can say is thank heavens for Bolton.

Archived