BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Kalinic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From an outsider's point of view, that last sentence does make sense. Out of the XI, sure, RSC is far better as a lone striker.. but pushed off the bench, after the way he has performed for Croatia and for us, is to me strange. I have said this before, I know, but I believe Kalinic is struggling partly because he is not an impact player, which makes him a starter or a no-go.. if that makes any sense.

Diouf, Roberts and Benjani are more direct, and they use their pace and strength effectively coming off the bench.

I really don't like that last line and I hope to god that Kean has spoken to him as not talking to Niko about why would be very detrimental.

Pretty sure this was after he had scored two goals for his national side against the Czech Republic as well. Score two goals then get binned from his club side.

There has got to be more to this than "Benjani, Roberts, Diouf and Roque are all perfoming better in training therefore he doesn't make the squad".

Pretty sure this was after he had scored two goals for his national side against the Czech Republic as well. Score two goals then get binned from his club side.

There has got to be more to this than "Benjani, Roberts, Diouf and Roque are all perfoming better in training therefore he doesn't make the squad".

Training is one aspect of football and yes I use what players do in training to aid in selection. However, there are always those people who in training do not perform, however when they set foot on the pitch to play they come to life.

Training achievements should not be the be all and end all of selection, it's an un pressurised environment and what players do in matches is what really counts. Niko maybe dross in training, but during matches at that time he looked good and that's what matters.

If Niko gets a chance at a similar level Premier League club I'm very confident that he'll be a 15-goal-a-season striker.

I can't say the same for Roberts or Benjani. Neither will ever achieve that feat again in the top league.

RSC has got it in his locker at he's done it before. Will he do it again? Depends on his confidence and the service that he's getting.

If SAF teaches Diouf how to finish he'll be lethal. Unfortunately we don't have the time to waste now teaching him.

Rochina looks like he has potential.

So for me, if we are playing the current "4-2-3-1" formation, it's either Niko or RSC to start, with the other on the bench as first choice back up, with Rochina to play a part if we go 4-4-2.

Kean clearly (to me, anyway) works on a favourites system. That's why my opinion is useless me posting here, because it will never get implemented while keans first team is scarred with such cloudy judgement.

Kean's choice of players is also why we will go down - our squad is strong enough to finish mid table in this league. Robinson, Samba, P. Jones, olsson, hoilett, j. jones, RSC and Niko would probably get in the first 11 of teams around us - and definately in the match day 18.

Training is one aspect of football and yes I use what players do in training to aid in selection. However, there are always those people who in training do not perform, however when they set foot on the pitch to play they come to life.

What if a player "can't be bothered about training" but performs on the pitch?

Is that enough or is there an issue about that player's attitude spilling over to others in the group, possibly undermining the coach?

The question is posed as a general one rather than about the situation we're in.

Is that enough or is there an issue about that player's attitude spilling over to others in the group, possibly undermining the coach?

The question is posed as a general one rather than about the situation we're in.

I think also we've had to listen to numerous posters claiming Keans only quality is his apparent friendship with the players, so I’d say Kalinic is either not performing in training, or he didn’t bring any beer to the Barby at Keans house a few weeks ago.

I would say there's a difference between can't be bothered IE Benni McCarthy and not performing in training. If he's un-fit and not willing to put the work in then, he should get nowhere near the team. However I have seen plenty of players who do the work in training but don't stand out, but when that whistle blows they come to life. For some for me there's definitely something about walking onto the pitch in front of your fans that makes them come to life a bit more.

Training is just one aspect to consider for me.

and that lines him up for a fall as well.

When did anyone see Shearer struggle - anywhere?

Shearer could hold the ball up anywhere on the pitch. He could hold off the toughest defenders. He could beat them in the air and turn them on the ground. He could outrun them as well. He could score from anywhere on the park and he could create his own chances. He had one of the hardest sots I've ever seen. He could/did score 30 league goals three seasons running.

So, what are we saying about Niko? He struggled like Niko does playing up front on his own? Tell me this. From those qualities that Shearer had, which ones does Niko have?

Shearer, struggle :lol:

So you were a fan of Shearer then Den? :lol:

Along with everyone else in the world - outside Old Trafford. :D

I take note that nobody has of yet, told me which of Shearers qualities Niko has. I think the answer is none. Surely, a striker needs at least one of them?

Weren't we all. I was devastated when I heard the news of his transfer on the radio on my way to work. Couldn't do a thing until after lunch that day.

I take note that nobody has of yet, told me which of Shearers qualities Niko has. I think the answer is none. Surely, a striker needs at least one of them?

The guy can finish. Not as good as Shearer obviously, but discounting what was a difficult first season in English football, his scoring record this season (a goal every 180 mins), in Croatian football and at every level of the Croatian national team implies he's a player who knows where the goal is.

The guy can finish. Not as good as Shearer obviously,

No, I wouldn't expect him to be. But then there's another question I asked a few days ago about this "finishing ability". Apart from the goal at West Brom when he finished very well, has he actually scored another goal that hasn't been from inside the 6 yard box, from the goalkeeper dropping the ball and leaving him an open goal, or has been deflected? I just don't remember seeing this finishing ability of his. I assume neither have Kean, Allardyce or Gumboot's source. :lol:

No, I wouldn't expect him to be. But then there's another question I asked a few days ago about this "finishing ability". Apart from the goal at West Brom when he finished very well, has he actually scored another goal that hasn't been from inside the 6 yard box, from the goalkeeper dropping the ball and leaving him an open goal, or has been deflected? I just don't remember seeing this finishing ability of his. I assume neither have Kean, Allardyce or Gumboot's source. :lol:

Again, not directly comparing the two but what qualities did Gary Lineker really have apart from being in the right place at the right time?

The guy has been scoring goals for us and for Croatia this season. He deserves a run in the team.

Kalinic has none of Shearers qualities, then again Shearer could fall over on the half way line, so maybe that one, but only that one.

Again, not directly comparing the two but what qualities did Gary Lineker really have apart from being in the right place at the right time?

The guy has been scoring goals for us and for Croatia this season. He deserves a run in the team.

There is no such thing as a knack of being in the right place at the right time. It takes a high work rate and constant gambling on runs in and around the box. Another skill that Niko seems to be lacking

There is no such thing as a knack of being in the right place at the right time. It takes a high work rate and constant gambling on runs in and around the box. Another skill that Niko seems to be lacking

Niko does work hard, he's certainly not a lazy player.

If someones scored goals throughout their career at national and international level apart from one difficult season, they must be doing something right.

Niko does work hard, he's certainly not a lazy player.

If someones scored goals throughout their career at national and international level apart from one difficult season, they must be doing something right.

How many international goals has he actually scored though. I remember a brace a few weeks ago and a goal against Malta making 3?

If Jason Roberts was to be unleased in the Croatian league I'm sure he would have a field day!

Lineker had blistering pace, could run from the half way line and slip the ball past the keeper. and he did it around 25/30 times a season.

If I said Niko had none of the qualities needed to ba a PL striker, and actually we haven't seen at Ewood any evidence to suggest that he's a quality finisher, I wouldn't be far wrong would I.

How many international goals has he actually scored though. I remember a brace a few weeks ago and a goal against Malta making 3?

If Jason Roberts was to be unleased in the Croatian league I'm sure he would have a field day!

He's also got 32 in 40 for the U17s right upto the U21s.

If we had any strikers who were doing the business I would understand, but it makes no sense that we're persisting with strikers who can't score, and leaving out a striker who has a far better scoring record this season than anyone.

He's also got 32 in 40 for the U17s right upto the U21s.

Matt Derbyshire used to score seemingly ever outing for the under 21's, but it didn't make him good enough for the premeirship though.

Den, don't be daft. I didn't say he was anywhere near the quality of Shearer. That's just twisting my words to make yourself feel clever, and for that you really would be better going and doing some kind of college course.

I said I've seen Shearer struggle, yes struggle, playing as a lone striker. Sure he could hold the ball up, and was a million times better than any of our strikers. He was also better than most strikers plying their trade now. However he didn't flourish as well as he did alongside a decent strike partner. I was pointing out that even the very best find the lone striker role a tough one to play. You may disagree but as you failed to adequately read what I wrote, then your eyesight may also fail you when watching football, so it's difficult to take on board.

Archived