BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Finest View In The World

greek-theatre-and-mount-etna-taormina-sicily.jpg

Taormina Greek Theatre and Mount Etna.

One of those places which really does live up to the hype. I have not yet been to the Amalfi Coast but I believe it also lives up to its billing.

Sparkysrovers, thanks for posting the west coast of Ireland- absolutely magical.

But Neekoy's first picture wins and will not be beaten!

Tower of Pisa,there is a lot of detail in the marble that often gets overlooked,as well as the building at the side of the tower.Really beautiful architecture that has to be seen to be appreciated.Large parts of Tuscany with vineyards everywhere,really picturesque and tranquil.Also flying over the swiss Alps on an early morning flight on what was a very clear day,some great views.

Also the Rhine valley and Moselle valley in Germany`s wine growing region,some really nice castles dotted amongst the vineyards that line the valleys and some nice villages too.

Hopefully going there next year Rog and staying in a cabin close by so we can watch the sunset and sunrise. Looks amazing.

It's an absolutely breathtaking place - one of those places you can't quite comprehend and appreciate until you actually go for yourself. Didn't see a sunrise/sunset there but I image they'll be spectacular.

Hopefully going there next year Rog and staying in a cabin close by so we can watch the sunset and sunrise. Looks amazing.

Its amazing.

Try going to the IMAX theatre near the park gates and watch the movie, it sums up the spectacle of the place.

Also the bus service around the southern rim is really good and very efficient.

I stopped in a place called Williams which is famous for its train station which is the last one before the canyon.

• 3 months later...

That looks like the Matterhorn, Tris? I've been part way up (only on the funicular railway).

Absolutely correct whittle blue. And last week (at the 5th attempt) I finally got to appreciate this stunning mountain cloud-free against a clear blue sky.

In my opinion, this is the finest view in the world.

4206569085_39198fd251.jpg

4206569701_7c2f38ff8f.jpg

While we were up there last Thursday, we got this view from the Klein Matterhorn (altitude 12,500 feet) looking 50 miles west, over range upon range of Alpine peaks, to Mont Blanc. It was a bit nippy (-24 C before wind chill) but I will never forget it.

4206570699_82b2844635.jpg

And (keeping up a little personal tradition) the blue and white halves were present all the way through ...

4206570177_b49d74f588.jpg

• 1 year later...

Ah, yes, point taken. But doesn't the building of a hotel rather distract from the wonderful view?

I'm not trying to be confrontational. Maybe you stayed in that hotel. Not that it matters, but does the hotel distract from the view from the other side?

Ah, yes, point taken. But doesn't the building of a hotel rather distract from the wonderful view?

I'm not trying to be confrontational. Maybe you stayed in that hotel. Not that it matters, but does the hotel distract from the view from the other side?

I know what you mean, any building is a serious risk of compromising nature.

Thankfully, because the way the hotel (and the visitor centre) has been built you don't lose much of a view from the top of the ridge. Also once you're on the path into the valley floor, the buildings vanish quickly.

Don't think the pictures really convey the sheer vastness of the area and how insignificant man's involvement (either modern or the very occasional Navajo Nation dwelling) is. The panorama picture does make it look like it dominates the landscape! Have a look at google earth for a better sense of scale.

Archived