BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Restrictions On Squad Sizes

hollowsr

It has been announced tonight that all teams in the Premiership will need to submit lists from next season of 25 names. Instead of me explaining it here are some articles:

Premier League Youth Development

Home Grown Players/Squads

Clubs have agreed to introduce the following rules governing Home Grown Players and squad numbers.

These will be introduced from Season 2010/11.

* Clubs must include eight Home Grown players out of a squad of 25.

(A Home Grown Player means a player who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the Season during which he turns 21).)

* Changes to the squad list of 25 may be made during the period of a Transfer Window.

* U21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players/squad.

(An U21 player refers to a player under the age of 21 as at the 1st January in the year in which the season concerned commences)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/se...cudamore-squads

With our current squad by next year we will have 8.

Robinson, Dunn, Reid, Andrews, Brown, Treacy, Judge and Roberts will be in although I'm not sure when Roberts was signed up by his first club in the non league and how that will affect things. Treacy and Judge will both be 21 by then I think.

* Clubs must include eight Home Grown players out of a squad of 25.

(A Home Grown Player means a player who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the Season during which he turns 21).)

Robinson, Dunn, Reid, Andrews, Brown, Treacy, Judge and Roberts will be in although I'm not sure when Roberts was signed up by his first club in the non league and how that will affect things. Treacy and Judge will both be 21 by then I think.

Problem with the list above is that Treacy, Judge & Brown probably all need to be moved on.

So maybe replace Brown with Bunn & also include Fielding to help us get around the rule. Roberts also qualifies as he was with Hayes.

Also Hoilett will meet that ruling wont he?

Also our current squad has more than 25 players........

Problem with the list above is that Treacy, Judge & Brown probably all need to be moved on.

So maybe replace Brown with Bunn & also include Fielding to help us get around the rule. Roberts also qualifies as he was with Hayes.

Also Hoilett will meet that ruling wont he?

Hoillet would meet it but he'd still be under 21 I think so he can be put on the limitless Under 21 list but if needs must then I guess he can be added. I'd be surprised if we let Judge go next summer.

1 football Premier League 2nd Nightlead

PREMIER LEAGUE ANNOUNCE HOME-GROWN QUOTA

By Duncan Bech, Press Association Sport

The Premier League will introduce a squad cap of 25 players and a quota on home-grown players from next season, chief executive Richard Scudamore has confirmed.

The 20 clubs met last Thursday to agree the introduction of a home-grown player rule, which will take effect at the start of next term, and the immediate implementation of financial reporting rules.

``As of next season clubs will be required to have a squad named of up to 25 players, of which no more than 17 can be over the age of 21 and not home grown,'' said Scudamore.

``The definition of home grown is trained for three years under the age of 21 by somebody in the English and Welsh professional system.

``Clubs will have to declare their 25 at the end of August when the window shuts and then again at the end of January.''

Scudamore denies the move will encourage clubs to hoard young foreign players and claims the England team will ultimately reap the reward.

``It's not in the club's interests to stockpile players. It will make buying home-grown talent more attractive,'' he said.

``We're not going down the route of a nationality test but what this will mean is that you just can't buy a team from abroad.

``We think it will give clubs an extra incentive to invest in youth. We think that one of the benefits will be that it will help the England team.''

All 20 Premier League members also agreed to adhere to a set of financial reporting rules designed to protect the viability and sustainability of the clubs.

``They will all have to annually submit accounts and future financial information,'' said Scudamore.

``At all times the board of the Premier League will be applying a test which basically says this: can the club fulfil its fixtures, pay off its creditors when they are due and also to meet obligations to the Premier League's contracts and partners?

``If the board believe a club is at risk of not meeting those obligations, it has to then step in and agree a budget for the running of that club. Any transfers can be embargoed.

``It's absolutely crucial that these clubs are run as ongoing viable concerns. These financial rules apply immediately.

``This is tied in, and we passed the rule during the summer, to a 'fit and proper person test'.

``At our club meeting last week, the clubs absolutely endorsed our position of not linking expenditure to income.''

I think there is something in place for the Eurpean Club competitions anyway so its not exactly a new concept so clubs aint goin to worry about this too much. Also Im pretty sure there is a similar rule in Spain, if so it doesnt look like its caused them as a footballing nation any problems.

However for this to work the mediocre 'Non home grown players' players will not come here so will obviously be replaced by mediocre 'Home Grown Players' so this will mean that transfer fees will probably need to drop whereas in the past for a mediocre English player they have been extremely high. The problem is I cant see this happening and these fees will get higher and higher for poorer quality thus running the risk further of financial unstability.

Spurs and Villa will be over the moon with this.

We will have to look at changing our whole approach to team structure. I think they should have introduced this a little slower, to suddenly dump the fact that you can only really have 17 players and a youth squad on you is a bit much. All the clubs agreed it and at least we have a few decent products coming into the first team picture.

although I'm not sure when Roberts was signed up by his first club in the non league and how that will affect things.

Roberts signed for Hayes in summer 1995. He would have had 3 and a half seasons before his 21st birthday in Jan 1999 so he should be ok.

You'd be surprised at much this suits Arsenal. Players like Frabregas, Clichy etc. (not looking really into the specifics of players, so could be off), will be fine. Of all the big four Arsenal and United are probably best off, although this will give United extra reason to hold onto Giggs and Scholes.

You'd be surprised at much this suits Arsenal. Players like Frabregas, Clichy etc. (not looking really into the specifics of players, so could be off), will be fine. Of all the big four Arsenal and United are probably best off, although this will give United extra reason to hold onto Giggs and Scholes.

Not really, 19 of their squad this season are home grown players according to SSN. Giggs and Scholes will finish their careers there anyway, regardless of this.

It'll make future versions of FM more difficult.

If it cuts down the FM bandits turning up on here every window with lists of 12 players we have to sell and 13 we have to buy, I'm all for it!!!

When I first heard this mooted, I thought of a whole load of objections but reading through the small print it seems that the PL have anticipated pretty well all of the pit falls I had thought of and legislated for them so it is a very well thought through regulation.

There is one rule I would bring in though.

Where a club brings through a young player itself and that player gets sold to another PL club, the credit for that player within the 8 should remain with the club who developed him for a period of time (at least one season) and not be transferred to the buying club.

Rovers are already on the edge in terms of finding 8 qualifying players and one of the reasons for that is the predations by talent wasters like Spuds.

In the less sexy parts of the new rules are the new financial regulations. If these regulations are what they say they are then Man City (before Abu Dhabi bought them), Pompey, West Ham and Liverpool would all have been put into remedial action last season had these rules been in force then.

It is an interesting question as to whether West Ham and Man U fall foul of these rules now but of course they come in at the start of the 2010/11 season.

Already overpriced English players have just had a zero added on to their value then....

ANd hapless mediocrity on stilts of experience, like Mokoena, will get snubbed. Which is a good thing.

This rule is fantastic, imo. It will force managers to promote from within and actually "WORK" with their players, to improve them. Paranoid hording of 53 year old goalies will be ended, hopefully.

There are down-sides - like mediocre English players prices inflating. However, the intelligent manager will be able to realise that there is no point signing so and so, when this guy in our reserves is not much worse etc....

Dont mind the idea - but it should be staged I think. Maybe 6 home grown next season and then 8 the season after - then maybe 10 the year after that.

SSN said last night that we have 9 at the moment I think.

Dunn, Roberts, Andrews, Reid, Robinson, Bunn, Brown, Olsson, Treacy???

We will also soon have - Doran, Judge, Fielding,

All this rule will do it drive the price of qualifying players up.

Should have made the rule that you have produced a number of the players yourself (say 4 out of the 8)instead of pinching another clubs.

This ruling wont make teams develop their own players any more than the current situation.

If it cuts down the FM bandits turning up on here every window with lists of 12 players we have to sell and 13 we have to buy, I'm all for it!!!

When I first heard this mooted, I thought of a whole load of objections but reading through the small print it seems that the PL have anticipated pretty well all of the pit falls I had thought of and legislated for them so it is a very well thought through regulation.

There is one rule I would bring in though.

Where a club brings through a young player itself and that player gets sold to another PL club, the credit for that player within the 8 should remain with the club who developed him for a period of time (at least one season) and not be transferred to the buying club.

Rovers are already on the edge in terms of finding 8 qualifying players and one of the reasons for that is the predations by talent wasters like Spuds.

In the less sexy parts of the new rules are the new financial regulations. If these regulations are what they say they are then Man City (before Abu Dhabi bought them), Pompey, West Ham and Liverpool would all have been put into remedial action last season had these rules been in force then.

It is an interesting question as to whether West Ham and Man U fall foul of these rules now but of course they come in at the start of the 2010/11 season.

That rule would kill us. Those that have been bought from us were bought by us from the clubs who really developed them.

I think the lower leagues are celebrating about this one.

Values of the next Jon Stead...etc... will rise.

In the end, you can see why the clubs agreed to it. The rule doesn't require them to promote their own youth players. They can nab other team's. So it's not really that onerous on them.

All I hope is that it might discourage the importation of future Mokoena's, Amoruso's and Djimi Traore's. We have homegrown cloggers, you know.

Archived