BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Beckham

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Read the bit in the voyage of the Dawntreader where dreams come true? Only it's all your dreams - all the horrid things you dream and not just the good bits.

So from this board that would mean Andrews is captain and Roberts our best striking option, with Emerton as right winger.

Enough to wake the hairiest man screaming for his ma.

We've discussed this before.

For:

He'd pay for himself in marketing revenue. Would bring the media spotlight and eyes of the world to Ewood. We'd sell thousands of shirts around the world. Sam's ego will be telling him he could pull it off so he might even try. Beckham will be doing all he can to make the World Cup squad so would probably have a good half season.

Against:

Our 'little' club wasn't enough for Bentley's inflated ego so why would it be for Beckham. If there was even the slightest possibility of him coming to Blackburn there'd be other clubs ahead of us: Spurs, West Ham, Stoke, Hull, Aston Villa, the list goes on.

I can't believe I've even mulled it over as it's just not going to happen.

Do you mean "flasher areas"?

I know its been discussed before but there are big differences between Bentley and Beckham. Beckham is at the end of his career, desperate to play in his last world cup. He realises that to do this he will need to be playing regularly at the top level - the prem league being the best place to do this. As far as playing for us goes - he'd walk into our team and play every week - which can only be beneficial to his world cup hopes.

I don't think his ego would prevent him from playing for us - he doesn't strike me as that sort of player. He's made his money and then some and could afford to come and play for very little - if he felt that he would gain by playing for us - in terms of making the world cup squad.

IMO I don't think its as ridiculous as some people think.

IMO I don't think its as ridiculous as some people think.

Well, he used to play for North End ffs!

Whilst seeing the billboard headline this morning did indeed make me chortle, on reflection it may even make some sense for golden balls to top and tail his career at 'lower order' clubs.

On the down side, what happens to the team built around his ego once the World Cup has come and gone?

Interesting idea, but flawed for many reasons.

:lol: if we could not afford kranjcar how could we afford this loser ;)

Firstly rovers did not want Kranjcar - marketing value of beckham v kranjar is no contest. Beckham if it did happen would bring people to ewood park. Put rovers back in the spotlight again. May even get potiental investors to look again at rovers.

Although older now, he still has the ambition to play in the world cup, therefore would play his heart out for the team - which rovers would benefit from. May even be able to show pedersen / emerton how to cross a ball and take free kicks.

How can you call Beckham a loser - on what ground has he earned such a tag from you?

Against:

Our 'little' club wasn't enough for Bentley's inflated ego so why would it be for Beckham. If there was even the slightest possibility of him coming to Blackburn there'd be other clubs ahead of us: Spurs, West Ham, Stoke, Hull, Aston Villa, the list goes on.

How would Stoke and Hull be ahead of us? :huh:

I think some people on here aren`t getting the whole picture.

If Rovers do get David Beckham, it will be because he`s desperate to play in the World cup next year.....meaning he would probably sign for us (or come on loan) in the January tranfsfer window. In my reckoning (& i`ve not looked at the fixtures) Rovers will have around 15-18 games left to play. I`m sure Rovers could sort out some sort of 'Beckham Sponsorship' to help finance his short spell with the club.

Yes, it might cost 50 to 100 grand a week (what-ever he`s on???) but what are the benefits???

1....You can guarantee nearly every media franchise will be watching his every move in a Rovers shirt.

2....Kids will flock to buy a Rovers BECKHAM shirt (think of the foreign shirt sales too!)

3....The clubs profile will go through the roof.....albeit only for a half season.

4....Becks will be busting a gut in EVERY game, to try to convince the eye-tie he`s worthy of a place on that plane.

5....half season tickets will fly off the shelves.

In my view, If Rovers can sign the guy for a half season loan.......they should go for it.

For me, it`s a win win situation for Blackburn Rovers.

BTW.....i`ve never been a fan of the guy, but business is business. If any manager can do business like that, Big Sam can ;)

Well done cletus.

IF he goes to the PL, Spurs are without doubt the number 1 likeliest destination followed by Fulham who always used to make that sort of marquee signing.

After the attraction of London, I'd guess we are as good as any of the others likely to come forwards. Remember he'll want a decent certainty of games which would tend to knock the likes of Villa out, whilst Hull and Sunderland are too far from either his London or Manchester stamping grounds.

Well done cletus.

IF he goes to the PL, Spurs are without doubt the number 1 likeliest destination followed by Fulham who always used to make that sort of marquee signing.

After the attraction of London, I'd guess we are as good as any of the others likely to come forwards. Remember he'll want a decent certainty of games which would tend to knock the likes of Villa out, whilst Hull and Sunderland are too far from either his London or Manchester stamping grounds.

I guess it comes down to whether or not he wants to play week in week out in order to get a place in the World Cup squad. I can't see him getting the regular football he desires and needs at a lot of clubs, Spurs included.

Isnt it nice to dream though.

Aye, it is. Believe me I would be over the moon if I really thought it would happen.

I don't think his ego would prevent him from playing for us

Okay, maybe more his wife's ego. I actually think Beckham is a model professional.

Well, he used to play for North End ffs!

He was loaned out to PNE when he was a nipper to get some first team experience - and quickly brought back again.

How would Stoke and Hull be ahead of us? :huh:

Take of the blue and white specs. Anything we could afford to give him (by raising sponsorship), they could both pay more. Amongst other clubs.

2....Kids will flock to buy a Rovers BECKHAM shirt (think of the foreign shirt sales too!)

Kids? I would buy one. If he does come Cletus, I'll buy you one as well.

He's not on 100k a week now. I know some people who work for the MLS and, although he does make money through his image rights and merchandising that normal players don't get, his salary is not astronomic (although still large) for the league. We could afford it, but it won't happen.

Archived