BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Megson Sacked, Coyle Takes Over

meerkat

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the time of this current post £550,363 has been staked on Betfair's market for the next Bolton manager, with £497,020 of that (approx 90%) staked on Owen Coyle.

With Coyle today having reaffirmed his desire to leave Burnley and join Bolton, it's surely only a question of time now as to when Coyle is officially unveiled as Bolton's new manager, when compensation terms have been agreed. It's inconceivable that Coyle could remain with Burnley.

I do think Coyle could have handled things a bit better from his point of view in recent days and he should have had the guts to meet the press and media after Saturday's FA Cup match with MK Dons, rather than ducking out and saying he had to catch a plane to Scotland.

Even if Coyle had faced the press on Saturday and had just said to the media: "Sorry gentlemen, but I'd prefer to talk about today's match with MK Dons rather than the Bolton vacancy", at least he would have showed his face and that would have been preferable to his "plane trip to Scotland" excuse.

I suspect that this type of thing has left a bad taste in the mouth for Burnley fans.

Last week after Gary Megson had been sacked, Owen Coyle said: "I love being at Burnley and I have shown that. I feel very privileged to be Burnley's manager. I enjoy my work and coming through the door every morning. I think the players enjoy working for me, the fans like coming and we are trying to build something at the football club."

Burnley's assistant manager Sandy Stewart looked decidely uncomfortable when asked by an ITV interviewer after the MK Dons match on Saturday whether people could read anything into the fact that Coyle ducked a press conference . "Err No," he stumbled - resembling Pinnochio. Stewart said: "If you asked every Burnley player in that changing room, they would hope that it wasn't Owen Coyle's last game in charge and they don't think it is."

So the Burnley players were wrong to have faith that Coyle would stay then Mr Stewart?

In my experience of dealing with Scottish people, a national characteristic that they seem to have is thick skin. They are not unduly worried or concerned by what other people think if they believe what they are doing is right. I suspect that this applies to Paisley-born Coyle, who will be looking after number one by going to Bolton and won't be too worried about the reaction of Burnley fans.

Scottish men often seem to have a stubborn intransigent and obstinate streak. Call it an "inner steel" an "inner toughness" or perhaps even arrogance - but Scottish people are not usually big softies who worry about the reaction from other people. They do what they want to do and have a type of "Sod you" attitude.

Another manager who didn't give a monkeys about the reaction of the fans when he walked out on Reading and Leicester in a messy and rather selfish way was the Scottish Mark McGhee.

For the English who often prefer a more polite diplomatic way of dealing with people, it can sometimes come across that the Scots have an arrogance about them. But I suppose the Scots are brought up differently.

Lol, they're not keen on Nicko are they

What exactly has Nicko done wrong to anger the Burnley fans so much? Not a lot from my point of view. It's Nicko's job as a journalist to write stories for the newspaper and he wrote a factually correct story that Coyle was keen on moving from Burnley to Bolton.

Some Rovers fans were upset when Nicko said that Stephen Warnock would be sold, but the Rovers board did indeed decide to cash in by selling Warnock. That was the decision of Sam Allardyce and the Rovers board and Nicko didn't have a gun to their head telling them that Warnock had to go.

For a tabloid journalist Nicko's strike-rate for factually correct stories is above average. Obviously on occasions deals can sometimes not go according to plan and things can fall through at the final hurdle. But generally, Nicko doesn't invent fairy stories.

Waving the Dingles a kiss goodbye?

owen-coyle_1409959c.jpg

What exactly has Nicko done wrong to anger the Burnley fans so much? Not a lot from my point of view. It's Nicko's job as a journalist to write stories for the newspaper and he wrote a factually correct story that Coyle was keen on moving from Burnley to Bolton.

I can see both sides of the argument there. To all intents and purposes Nicko's original story appeared in the Mirror well before Bolton made any official approach, whether that was actually the case or not, so it looked as though he was going way beyond reporting events which had already happened, more like acting as Coyle's agent in flagging up and promoting his interest in the Bolton job. Thereafter Nicko did not spare any detail in outlining the reasons why Coyle wanted the job, leading Burnley fans seemingly to think Coyle was rubbishing the Club he was currently employed by in the media via his mouthpiece.

From nicko's point of view he's done nothing at all wrong, he's merely reported a story which eventually proved correct and it is the detail in the story which makes it all the more interesting. "Coyle wants to leave but I don't know why" wouldn't sell many papers. It's nicko's job, he has to pay the bills and I would imagine he is too thick skinned to be worried by the disapproval from dingle quarters although he might feel he doesn't actually deserve it.

I really can sympathise with both sides and can't disagree with either point of view.

sorry to bring it up again, but owens daughters message on fb, for obv reasons iv had to censor some things ...

Kiera Coyle: lying judas p***k eh? seriously cause hes went to another club? ever think hes went cause he believes burnley can stay in the premier league without him? god some of you's are pathetic, after everything he has done you's give him abuse cause hes went with what he thinks is right? well to all of you lot... clumsy, hit shift + 8 again!! OFFFFFFF!!!!!

Quality find sparky12, but at the end of the day shes just a kid who loves her dad to bits and is defending him from all the criticism hes getting, nothing untoward in that, just highly commendable on her part.

lol.......Mr Phelan as next manager....?

sounds like another Brian Kidd appiontment to me........It couldn't get any better, could it?

I honestly dont think Michael will take it, though I could be wrong, maybe a big pay day for the lad and a three year contract close to his home in Colne!! Who knows, maybe he feels it could be time, just dont think so though.

I recall a number of Burnley fans coming on here regularly at the start of the season saying that there was not much of a difference in the premier league to the championship. Even more so when they had a couple of good wins. I said at the time, let's check back at the end of the season. So far they've learnt three harsh lessons.

1) Winning away from home is tough in this league

2) There is always someone bigger, even if you don't think they are

3) Money talks and trumps loyalty every time

I think there will be at least two more to come...

In my experience of dealing with Scottish people, a national characteristic that they seem to have is thick skin. They are not unduly worried or concerned by what other people think if they believe what they are doing is right. I suspect that this applies to Paisley-born Coyle, who will be looking after number one by going to Bolton and won't be too worried about the reaction of Burnley fans.

Scottish men often seem to have a stubborn intransigent and obstinate streak. Call it an "inner steel" an "inner toughness" or perhaps even arrogance - but Scottish people are not usually big softies who worry about the reaction from other people. They do what they want to do and have a type of "Sod you" attitude.

AESF just as an aside I'd like to say this. My wife of 30 years is Scottish, one of my oldest and dearest friends is Scottish and I've spent, through these connections, a great deal of time in Scotland. I have to say your summary of the Scottish is, in my experience, very wide of the mark.

If you had said sections of Scotland are strangely anti-English I might have been able to agree with you to an extent but the above is far from accurate in my experience. I'm not taking this personally but do feel other posters should see a bit of balance.

Far from being an impossibility. Burnleys players may not adapt to the next manager and ditto for Boltons with Coyle. Do either clubs have the time necessary for such upheavels?

Coyles going to have to do something different to what he's used to, I hope he's up to the job. They must become difficult to beat again and he's had a long time to get Burnley playing like they where. Will he be able to go in and get them believing again? I reckon he'll keep them up, just. He's got a good gob on him and will motivate them quickly.

Burnley lads will feel let down and with there budget who can they seriously get with a track record of keeping teams up. They are only attractive to an up and coming manager and thats always interesting as we well know. I think there dream could be over and I'm not just convinced that Phelan would want it? Fergie Jr, can see his day sending him one or two players and watching son take on daddy would be awesome.

Personally I'm even sure Tom Cruise could keep the Dingles up now. ROFLMAO that and kicking a suicidal snowman of the roof of a building have been the highlights of my day!!

AESF just as an aside I'd like to say this. My wife of 30 years is Scottish, one of my oldest and dearest friends is Scottish and I've spent, through these connections, a great deal of time in Scotland. I have to say your summary of the Scottish is, in my experience, very wide of the mark.

If you had said sections of Scotland are strangely anti-English I might have been able to agree with you to an extent but the above is far from accurate in my experience. I'm not taking this personally but do feel other posters should see a bit of balance.

Having been born in the same town as Mr Coyle, I'd say AESF has it pretty spot on, as far as fellow Buddies go, anyway.

Agreed- I have learnt through experience that the Scots can be very touchy and thin-skinned. When I hear a Scottish accent, I am automatically more guarded. Ditto with Greeks.

I hate national stereotyping as there are wonderful Greeks and Scots but there are occasions where whole societies take on certain mindsets.

I don't doubt that there are plenty of very nice Scottish people and perhaps I should have worded my point a little differently. I'm sure that your wife is lovely and you have good Scottish friends.

My own view though, based on my own experience, is that Scottish men have thick skin and are not unduly worried about what other people think. They have a stubborn streak or 'inner toughness' about them and that's why I don't feel that Owen Coyle will be worried about the reaction from Burnley fans, just as Scottish-born Mark McGhee didn't worry about walking out of Reading and Leicester in the middle of the season to move to other clubs.

Scottish men, particularly from working-class areas, are a tough breed.

Another manager who didn't give a monkeys about the reaction of the fans when he walked out on Reading and Leicester in a messy and rather selfish way was the Scottish Mark McGhee.

For the English who often prefer a more polite diplomatic way of dealing with people, it can sometimes come across that the Scots have an arrogance about them. But I suppose the Scots are brought up differently.

LOL, very funny. You can call it what you like the Scottish are just superior to the english and we know it. There's no arrogance as you perceive it, its just a well know fact North of the Border. :P

Of course we are. Just as we Rovers are split between feeling sorry for the dingles and just not tolerating them, so are we the Scottish in reference to the english. :lol::P

I'm seeing this as Coyle fulfilling a personal ambition. In the summer, he had already shown very admirable loyalty to burnley by turning down champions league and a one in two chance of a league championship with Celtic. I dont think he's leaving for bolton only because of more transfer funds and a larger wage. These may be offsprings of a move, but I believe his primary motivation is because he has feelings for Bolton, given that he has links to them as a player. This is very different from Sparky's move to Man City, but even then, I would have him back in a flash...

I don't doubt that there are plenty of very nice Scottish people and perhaps I should have worded my point a little differently. I'm sure that your wife is lovely and you have good Scottish friends.

My own view though, based on my own experience, is that Scottish men have thick skin and are not unduly worried about what other people think. They have a stubborn streak or 'inner toughness' about them and that's why I don't feel that Owen Coyle will be worried about the reaction from Burnley fans, just as Scottish-born Mark McGhee didn't worry about walking out of Reading and Leicester in the middle of the season to move to other clubs.

Scottish men, particularly from working-class areas, are a tough breed.

Agree, they are a tough breed, thats why they make great football managers, Fergusen, Shankley, Busby, Dalglish,George Graham, Souness the list is long and they appear in general to be more successful than English managers!! I wonder why?

Archived