BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Megson Sacked, Coyle Takes Over

meerkat

Aside from the satisfaction of seeing the Dingles' season possibly go up in smoke, I honestly can't understand what Coyle's playing at. It's not like Celtic have come and broken down the door to get him. Nor indeed has any relatively big club from the Premiership. Strange one.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bolton are a bigger team no doubts!

1. Bolton 28,000 stadium, Dingles 21k stadium (and rotting)
  2. Bolton established premier team, Dingles new-boys
  3. Bolton have a better squad
  4. Boltons wage bill is 3x that of Burnleys.
  5. Boltons top buy £9m (Elmander), Dingles £3m (Fletcher)
  6. Bolton - bigger fan base, new academy on the way, better training facilities, 'given' the odd £10m from Eddie Davies every now and then to buy a player

Do Bolton own their own ground and training ground as well? a big thing when budgets and assets are taken into consideration!!

Do Bolton own their own ground and training ground as well? a big thing when budgets and assets are taken into consideration!!

Yeah I think so.

Also a personal factor is that Owen Coyle played for them & will earn around £1m a year more with them!

Aside from the satisfaction of seeing the Dingles' season possibly go up in smoke, I honestly can't understand what Coyle's playing at. It's not like Celtic have come and broken down the door to get him. Nor indeed has any relatively big club from the Premiership. Strange one.

He's already turned Celtic down, they're relatively small fry these days.

He's got a lot better chance of landing a "big" job from upper mid table security with Bolton, than from the Championship with Burnley.

Strange one if he stays for me, but who knows, we don't know what Bolton have said to/offered him. Might not be quite as good as everyone thinks.

Bolton are a bigger team no doubts!

1. Bolton 28,000 stadium, Dingles 21k stadium (and rotting)
  2. Bolton established premier team, Dingles new-boys
  3. Bolton have a better squad
  4. Boltons wage bill is 3x that of Burnleys.
  5. Boltons top buy £9m (Elmander), Dingles £3m (Fletcher)
  6. Bolton - bigger fan base, new academy on the way, better training facilities, 'given' the odd £10m from Eddie Davies every now and then to buy a player

Hold on:

1. Bolton average around 21k, Burnley 18k.

2. Bolton more etablished then Burnley - well so are all the prem sides as burnley were just promoted, that doesnt really mean much.

3. Bolton better squad? debateable. Klasnic and Jussi. Who else? Id say they're similar.

4. Bolton's wage bill is higher. They have poor players and plenty of them.

5. Bolton have paid more for their top signing. Elmander. Says it all.

I think the point is that, yes Bolton are bigger, but not by much. Its such a small step to take from Burnley to Bolton that its hardly worth making. Celtic fine. A tottenham/man city/everton, fine. But Bolton??

They have just mentioned on SSN that Burnley want 3.6m for Coyle and that has not yet been agreed by Bolton, nor has Coyle agreed personal terms with Bolton.

Looked at from another angle it would be a crippling blow for morale for Bolton if they can't attract a manager from a Club running on a quasi - championship budget.

Going to Bolton when they are in the drop zone must be another attraction. If they are one place higher when the season ends he has saved them! If they securely mid-table he has turned round a sinking ship in media talk.

rev has called it right in his posts on here.

As for the £3.6m compensation, it will be interesting to see how the dingles can force the trotters to pay seven times the guy's salary. Burnley are in a weak position- they have let him talk to Bolton so he is emotionally and mentally out of the Turf already. It is bad enough trying to motivate a player who wants out, how on earth can Coyle continue at the dingles when he really wants to be managing their relegation rivals sending his current employers down? The cat is out of the bag, horse bolted or whatever metaphor you want to use.

In comparisson, Rovers were hard @#/?s when City came calling for sparky- they sorted out the compo BEFORE sparky was allowed to talk to them.

Years ago, a bloody long time ago, when Burnley won the league and we were the old 2nd Division, I avoided my mates for a month, I took so much stick, yes, I give it back, we have a laugh, have a pint together and thats it!!

Your memory has been playing tricks on you-as mine does many a time.

The 2 occasions Burnley won the 1st Division, we were in the same league.

I'm still unsure if he is going to leave to be honest. Unless the Dingle board have told him that he will have no money in Jan, and a small amount in summer. To me it doesnt make sence, he turned down Celtic in the summer, and at a price of 1.3 (1/3) I am comsidering laying

I'm still unsure if he is going to leave to be honest. Unless the Dingle board have told him that he will have no money in Jan, and a small amount in summer. To me it doesnt make sence, he turned down Celtic in the summer, and at a price of 1.3 (1/3) I am comsidering laying

how many times? celtic are a poor club and he didn't want to uproot his family. a job in bolton wouldn't require this

how many times? celtic are a poor club and he didn't want to uproot his family. a job in bolton wouldn't require this

They arnt the best club, but people say he will go to bolton due to the better stadium and increased budget. Celtic stadium is superior to Boltons, as is the budget, and european football is always going to get bigger clubs looking at him

Hold on:

1. Bolton average around 21k, Burnley 18k. they average so low because megson is manager

2. Bolton more etablished then Burnley - well so are all the prem sides as burnley were just promoted, that doesnt really mean much. that doesn't mean he wouldn't leave for another premiership club if the conditions were right

3. Bolton better squad? debateable. Klasnic and Jussi. Who else? Id say they're similar. look at burnley's defence. look at burnley's attack aside from fletcher who wouldn't get into the bolton team

4. Bolton's wage bill is higher. They have poor players and plenty of them. when he begins to transform it into his own team he will have plenty more wages to offer and therefore better players

5. Bolton have paid more for their top signing. Elmander. Says it all. the bolton board are willing to back a manager. burnley won't give him £1mil to sign a man OC believes will play a big part in keeping them up

I think the point is that, yes Bolton are bigger, but not by much. Its such a small step to take from Burnley to Bolton that its hardly worth making. Celtic fine. A tottenham/man city/everton, fine. But Bolton?? i think you are being harsh on bolton in comparison to burnley. bolton have potential but are underperforming, burnley are at full stretch. owen coyle will obviously have self confidence in himself and believe that under the right guidance bolton can be a consistent mid table team. then the next job after a midtable team is a job at a team pushing for europe. if he believes in himself i think he would be silly to turn it down

They arnt the best club, but people say he will go to bolton due to the better stadium and increased budget. Celtic stadium is superior to Boltons, as is the budget, and european football is always going to get bigger clubs looking at him

did you even read what i said? the bit you quoted? read it again very carefully

Celtic job is a poison chalice. It's been said that one of his main reasons for not being interested in Celtic was the idea of raising his young kids in Glasgow as the children of an Old Firm manager - half the city hate you.

If I was Coyle I'd be off in a shot - speaking objectively, ignoring personal feelings about Burnley. His reputation for taking a small club on a shoestring budget and leading them into the top flight playing "the right way" is about as high as it'll get. Stay up and get plaudits in the summer, then go down next year, go down now and get a pat on the back and forgotten about by the national press.

Bolton represents a challenge, but the rewards are higher than at Burnley. I'm sure if he's got as much self confidence as other Prem managers, he's only seeing the upside - the players he can sell to bring in the players he wants to kick on and aim for a top half finish. The idea of Bolton going down won't even have crossed his mind.

If I was in charge at Burnley, though, I'd be wary of another young manager - the Ince effect, if you will - and go for an experienced pair of hands until the summer to ensure survival.

Bolton is now a bigger job than Celtic. As is any Premiership job. Heck...Strachan left Parkhead after 3 titles and ended up where? The Riverside.

Compensation agreed according to SSN

it's up to tombstone teeth now

come on coyle, don't let us down!

even if he didn't leave, a lot of damage has been done. there is a new air of disillusionment around the turf right now, the players will be panicking. he was the one holding the club together

Celtic's budget is shrinking, Bolton's is growing over-taking Celtic's next year and Scotland lose a European place next season to Belgium.

Still want to go to Celtic?

it's up to tombstone teeth now

come on coyle, don't let us down!

even if he didn't leave, a lot of damage has been done. there is a new air of disillusionment around the turf right now, the players will be panicking. he was the one holding the club together

There's no going back now.

One way or another, he's gone.

I take exception to your sanctimonious holier than thou attitude as well Fife.

"Ignorant boorish moron" how dare you?

Make no mistake it is Survival of the fittest out there these days and whilst I am not blinkered enough not to realise what an incredible achievement it was for Burnley to reach the Premier League on their budget, it is very much in our interests for them to return from whence they came asap. Ditto Bolton. In fact if Burnley, Bolton, PNE and Blackpool were all playing at Stanley's level or lower - that would be the ideal scenario for us.

Economic reality I'm afraid, not to mention all part of the fun derived from local rivalry.

I'd expect no less from any of our Claret counterparts or other local rivals, I'd be amazed if they wanted us to do well.

There is nothing in my post that is either "holier than thou" or sanctimonious. I most certainly do believe that it is wrong to belittle others and to deliberately mock them when they are genuinely and rightly upset about anything. Do you disagree with that thinking? From the wording of your reply to me, what else can you mean?

As for the rest of your post you are IMO quite wrong in believing that it is in Rovers interests to have a monopoly of the "small club" EPL membership from the other Lancashire clubs. For a time that is what we had: did it benefit Rovers financially? Not at all! OK we gained a few glory seekers during our first 3 or 4 seasons in the Prem, but they very soon melted away after that as the decline set in at Ewood. This in spite of the fact that Blackpool, PNE, Accy, Burnley, Wigan, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, and for a time Bolton, were ALL in the lower divisions and Rovers in the Prem. Not much evidence there for your "ideal scenario".

I most certainly do believe that it is wrong to belittle others

But obviously ok to label all and sundry as "arrogant boorish morons" for engaging in harmless football banter and rivalry.

I won't discuss this further as you obviously don't see anything wrong with what you said otherwise an apoloogy would have been forthcoming.

Archived