SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Megson Sacked, Coyle Takes Over

meerkat

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moving on to the pigs feet.....

Notlob might be purring like the cat that got the cream should they swat tiny Burnley aside and succeed in nicking Owen Coyle but beware trotters..........

1. People continually level the accusation with a certain amount of justification too that Allardyce is struggling at Ewood to get a squad of players who prefer a passing game to play something called 'hoofball'.

2. Little Sam tried the opposite. He inherited a squad of lummoxes and tried to get em to play it on the floor. A dramatic and spectacular failure.

3. Megson rescued the Trotters and saved em from certain relegation by reverting to what they were good at. Rough and tumple, ugly in your face, up and under to find Davies's head stuff. It worked of course and saved em from the championship oblivion but no bgugger thanked him for it and no bgugger liked him much either.

but beware you Manchester overspill

4. Coyle is known for playing expansive flowing football too! :unsure: This might easily end in tears come May!

chin chin

I always suspected that you were a know-nowt, thenodrog. Thanks for confirming it with this post. To combine so many fallacies, half-truths and red top garbage into one post shows a rare skill. Respect! ;)

I always suspected that you were a know-nowt, thenodrog. Thanks for confirming it with this post. To combine so many fallacies, half-truths and red top garbage into one post shows a rare skill. Respect! ;)

Be an 'interesting' few months for you Zulu. Time will tell. Rem All that glisters is not gold.

I must say you might be right. I freely admit that I was wrong about Hughes but I was spot an about Ince and Allardyce. I guess that puts the odds in my favour. I might lose face whilst you lot might tail spin to football oblivion. Oh well... I can live with losing face. ^_^

Some other Burnley fan suggesting O'Driscoll as well.

Must say I know nothing about him.

Done really well at Doncaster - his team outplayed and out 'footballed' us last season and only lacked a goal scorer to have seriously embarrased us. Of course he would be a gamble but like I've said, to have any chance the manager has to be a calculated risk.

Obviously these rumours grew ever stronger on Saturday and unlike the fan who had 'a tear rolling down his face' most I have spoken to are increasingly angry at the way Coyle has conducted himself in this matter, particularly his use of his mouth piece Nixon.

Is this the right time to remind you he is not the Bolton Chairman?

:lol:

Agree with you completely in that respect Longsider, you may have seen the discussion I have had with nicko on this thread when I suggested to him it was hardly surprising your fans were less than happy with his role in the matter.

I did but to be fair I don't really blame him (though it does read a little like that). Nixon has a job to do just like the rest of us, if he is given a story then he will use it.

Still if I was him I'b be telling my wife to stay out of Chippies in Cliviger <_< (that was meant as a joke at our expense by the way)

OWEN COYLE IS GOD GONE :D

A good manager you had on your hands there. I think the element of surprise is that he is leaving you for Bolton, which makes it just that bit more bitter. We lost Hughes to City, and that was on financial grounds. Hence why we nearly lost him to Newcastle and Spurs.

For Burnley to stay up, they'll need to go for an experience head. Who that will be I do not know. However, going for a lower league manager must mean you stick by him. If you are to get relegated then you cannot sack the new man because he never kept you up. So this is going to be a crucial decision for Burnley, one which I hope goes horribly wrong :tu:

Just heard its a done deal from a normally accurate source.

Once they asked for permission to talk to him, it was virtually done. They wouldn't have done that without knowing he was interested.

I do feel for you guys. It happens to all the town clubs and it never gets any easier to accept. On the other hand, you might see how well BRFC have done to stay in this league for so many years, considering how many times we have changed managers and lost key players?

Once they asked for permission to talk to him, it was virtually done. They wouldn't have done that without knowing he was interested.

I do feel for you guys. It happens to all the town clubs and it never gets any easier to accept.

Like tnr I am amazed Kilby + Co slapped a bounty on Coyle's head with quite such unseemly haste. You would have thought they would have denied Bolton permission then at least done their level best to hang on to him.

Must already have been a serious difference of opinion re funding for January and the rest of the season imo.

Morning fellow football fans.

Not been on for a while, thought I'd drop by as I assumed this would be subject to some debate and mirth.

Obviously these rumours grew ever stronger on Saturday and unlike the fan who had 'a tear rolling down his face' most I have spoken to are increasingly angry at the way Coyle has conducted himself in this matter, particularly his use of his mouth piece Nixon.

Myself I try to be a little bit more pragmatic about these things, him going is disapointing of course but inevitable at some point if he continued to do well with us. I wish it could have been done with a little more dignity and honour but we can't always get what we want.

Now we need to focus on getting the right replacement in. For me we need to continue to take small gambles rather than looking at the usual tired old names. My preference would be somebody like O'Driscoll at Doncaster, but we shall see.

Clearly this could be disastorous for us, then again our form has dipped, our away record has shown little sign of improving so to be honest our prospect of surviving this season was no better than it was when we got promoted. It was always unlikely and has remained so.

I think John Bond is available at present.....

Like tnr I am amazed Kilby + Co slapped a bounty on Coyle's head with quite such unseemly haste. You would have thought they would have denied Bolton permission then at least done their level best to hang on to him.

Must already have been a serious difference of opinion re funding for January and the rest of the season imo.

From everything I've been reading, the compo amount was part of his contract extension.

I was wrong about Hughes but I was spot an about Ince and Allardyce.

Bit early to say if you were right about Allardyce yet Gordon............

I'm no different, I was right about Hughes, wrong about Ince and was in favour of Sam when he was appointed.

Theno I'm not moaning about them nicking our manager at all - that is part of football.

I'm also not looking for sympathy from any quarter - and if I was this is the last place I'd be looking for it :-)

To be honest I am surprisingly sanguine about this, I think because I always felt it was going to happen at some point if he continued doing well for us.

You mention me suggesting O'Driscoll - IF as a club we are interested in him then I hope we do our business with dignity but yeah, I guess it is more than possible we will use just the same tactics if it is required - we might quite possibly use Mr Nixon to get our stories in the press again so yeah, double standards are clearly the order of the day.

Like I say, I just wish these things could be conducted with a little more dignity - and I guess I wish it wasn't a team that looked like a fellow candidate for the bottom 3.

Well I'm not laughing at Burnley fans today.. I feel desperately sorry for them as I did for us when it was clear Hughes was on the move. We can makes jokes at their expense as they do at our's but deep down, the vast majority of Rovers fans know they are the same as the vast majority of Burnley fans----poor cousins ( dare I use that word) in a rich man's League, Town club fans in a League of super-megapolis teams, loyal to the last despite the odds against us.. I felt really proud of the fact that we have 7 Lancashire teams in the Premiership but I think that is unlikely to last. Today is just another bad day for our sort of football, another confirmation that the only loyalty in today's game comes from us, the fans. Bolton may have benefitted today but they will assuredly lose tomorrow.

That won't stop me from hoping we thrash Burnley at the Turd of course!

Let's not overdo the "we're both poor country cousins" comparison too much there's a world of difference between the budget Rovers operate and the one Burnley are trying to get away with this season.

Fair play in many respects to them for that. It has however seemingly cost them their manager half way through the season so in that respect it has already backfired.

Let's not overdo the "we're both poor country cousins" comparison too much there's a world of difference between the budget Rovers operate and the one Burnley are trying to get away with this season.

Fair play in many respects to them for that. It has however seemingly cost them their manager half way through the season so in that respect it has already backfired.

Yes but the differences between us and Burnley are way smaller than the differences between us and Manure or Chelsea or even Villa. By their standards we are very poor, as are Bolton.

I freely admit that I was wrong about Hughes but I was spot an about Ince and Allardyce.

so what you are saying is you are pessimistic.

and who wouldn't have guessed that allardarse would have kept us up but we would be bored of his tactics one year on?

Archived