BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Megson Sacked, Coyle Takes Over

meerkat

I can't agree with braddock either, I don't "hate" Burnley or their supporters for one second.

For large parts of our history however the Club have been our closest rivals and as such I just don't want them to do well. And I will enjoy making fun of them if they don't.

As I would hope, they would with us.

Living in the USA (Uther side of Accy) I have lots of mates who are Burnley fans, its nice to get one over on them yet we do have quite good discussions on our respective clubs, I dont hate the Burnley fans (well not the proper ones) I do hate the so called suicide squad and I hate any kind of violence of any kind from any person whoever they may support!

Years ago, a bloody long time ago, when Burnley won the league and we were the old 2nd Division, I avoided my mates for a month, I took so much stick, yes, I give it back, we have a laugh, have a pint together and thats it!!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burnley have confirmed he has held talks with Bolton.

As for going down down down nafe - not sure anything has changed on that front, it was always likely and no away wins or even a sniff of one coupled with no win in 10 wasn't form that was going to keep us up anyway. I'd have liked him to stay more for what he could have done over the mid term, maybe another couple of seasons than the very slim chance he could have kept us up this season.

As for going down down down nafe - not sure anything has changed on that front, it was always likely and no away wins or even a sniff of one coupled with no win in 10 wasn't form that was going to keep us up anyway. I'd have liked him to stay more for what he could have done over the mid term, maybe another couple of seasons than the very slim chance he could have kept us up this season.

Am I missing something here - why the hell does Coyle want to go to Bolton anyway? Surely his CV would look better if it didnt have 'jumped ship to Notlob' written on it.... He would be better thought of if he stuck it out at Burnley. Wouldnt he???

One thing about the man you guys like to refer to as 'agent Kilby', he has something of a track record recently of getting great prices for our players so if Bolton have in mind trying to take any they better be ready to pay the asking price.

As for the bizarre idea about cashing in, why on earth would Kilby have spent the last 10 years keeping the club afloat, face it, he has done it because he is a fan, simple as that. It may allow us to set the clubs future and yet even firmer foundations of course. So if Bolton fancy paying over the odds for Chris Eagles and others then I say get out your cheque book Gartside

I may be reading a great deal into absolutely nothing but I would have very much expected that particular announcement to come from the Bolton end.

Edit: The statement in full indicates Coyle will now go back to Burnley to discuss his future tonight.

Could it be a sign it's not done and dusted?

Probably because he thinks that he can keep Bolton up, but doesn't feel so great about his chances when it comes to Burnley. He's probably also looking at doubling his wages (possibly even more than that), which would be reason enough for most to go. History would show you that managers reputation take a major hit once they have a relegation on their CV and that, even though he is hot-property at the moment, he would probably not get an offer as good as this if Burnley do go down. Sensible thing is to establish himself as a premier league manager and work from there.

As Philip pointed out, although perhaps going a bit too far, Bolton beat Burnley on pretty much every level (stadium, finances, facilities and you'd have to say even current squad).

It is a bit of a no-brainer really and once again shows why people need to realise that we have quite a few options when it comes to managerial appointments the next time there is an opening here. Hopefully we won't go grovelling to the next fat-headed manager who just so happens to be in need of a job.

I simply don't know, my gut feeling is the club have come under pressure to say something, anything.

Strikes me as an odd statement, perhaps Bolton are trying to wriggle on the compo, I really cannot see how he can come back from this. Then again maybe football is moving towards an era where managers do what the rest of us do, listen to a new job offer, weigh up the pro's and cons and decide whether it is better than his current job? Nah, it will be some sort of wrangle over cash, most likely bonuses Coyle feels he is entitled to as part of his leaving.

When did Bolton become a brighter prospect then Burnley? Same division, similar strength team with a similar budget. All Coyle will do is anger the fans who worship him at the moment and give himself a much harder task in trying to keep a struggling Bolton up instead of continuing his good work at Turf Moor. The equiviliant would be if Mark Hughes had left us to manage Middlesbrough.

Am I missing something here - why the hell does Coyle want to go to Bolton anyway? Surely his CV would look better if it didnt have 'jumped ship to Notlob' written on it.... He would be better thought of if he stuck it out at Burnley. Wouldnt he???

It will be easier to keep bolton up, bigger budget, some investment in the transfer market and better infastructure all the right signs point to Bolton staying, Burnley is a difficult task. And the fact they all fancy their sisters.... its probs not the best place to be :-)

When did Bolton become a brighter prospect then Burnley? Same division, similar strength team with a similar budget. All Coyle will do is anger the fans who worship him at the miment and give himself a much harder task in trying to keep a struggling Bolton up instead of continuing his good work at Turf Moor. The equiviliant would be if Mark Hughes had left us to manage Middlesbrough.

Exactly my thoughts.

Perhaps Mr Gartside has stroked his ego sufficiently for Coyle to set aside the fact that Bolton have a very very poor squad.

When did Bolton become a brighter prospect then Burnley? Same division, similar strength team with a similar budget. All Coyle will do is anger the fans who worship him at the miment and give himself a much harder task in trying to keep a struggling Bolton up instead of continuing his good work at Turf Moor. The equiviliant would be if Mark Hughes had left us to manage Middlesbrough.

You actually think Bumley have the budget as Bolton?

In fairness all the comments re infrastructure are 100% fair.

The real question is, what does he have to do at Bolton to be considered a success? Everything there is judged on the 'Big Sam Years', so in essence they expect top 6/8 finishes regularly - not easy to deliver with a club the size of Bolton (or Balckburn and yes, especially new boys the size of Burnley). No longer will he have fans who adore him and don't care about away hammerings, no longer will he have the 'smallest budget in the prem' excuse for the heavy defeats, these things are replaced by a good budget, great infrastructure and fans who expect to be competing near the top end of Prem season after season, established Premier League club etc etc - you know the cliches and sound bites better than I do.

You actually think Bumley have the budget as Bolton?

Nope, but they're probably similar. I mean im sure Bolton do have more cash but not by enough to warrant moving from Burnley.

If he had taken Burnley down nobody would have criticised him. Nobody expected Burnley to survive. Bolton is a different matter. Im sure their fans will warm to him quicker than with Megson but i do worry about whether Coyle is the right man.

Bolton's players are designed for a physical direct game, but Coyle's Burnley play a smooth passing game. Good football and decent results is very hard to come by and Bolton do not have a squad which can play that way.

I was beginning to despair until I read your post 47er. I am now re-assured that there still are a small number of genuine human beings amongst us football fans, and that we are not all ignorant boorish morons who find amusement in other peoples anguish. And also that we are not all totally motivated by money and blinded to the feelings and needs of others. Some of the posts on this thread have shown their authors up in their true colours and no mistake.

Fife...you are a gentleman but you have lost your perspective here.

There are close to a billion people in this world reported as suffering from undernourishment. Hundreds of millions live in war zones. So therefore to describe someone as suffering "anguish" because a football manager that their football club poached from another is going to move on to another club is somewhat ridiculous isn't it? Anybody who suffers "anguish" because of such a thing is unworthy of respect. People do suffer in this world and they are deserving of sympathy. Not from some bloke going to another football club to work...

This is just football...it's entertainment. Lighten up and enjoy the banter. :tu:

When did Bolton become a brighter prospect then Burnley? Same division, similar strength team with a similar budget. All Coyle will do is anger the fans who worship him at the moment and give himself a much harder task in trying to keep a struggling Bolton up instead of continuing his good work at Turf Moor. The equiviliant would be if Mark Hughes had left us to manage Middlesbrough.

Similar budget? Since when did three times bigger mean "similar"?

Your analogy of Hughes leaving us to manage Middlesbrough is just bizarre.

In fairness all the comments re infrastructure are 100% fair.

The real question is, what does he have to do at Bolton to be considered a success? Everything there is judged on the 'Big Sam Years', so in essence they expect top 6/8 finishes regularly - not easy to deliver with a club the size of Bolton (or Balckburn and yes, especially new boys the size of Burnley). No longer will he have fans who adore him and don't care about away hammerings, no longer will he have the 'smallest budget in the prem' excuse for the heavy defeats, these things are replaced by a good budget, great infrastructure and fans who expect to be competing near the top end of Prem season after season, established Premier League club etc etc - you know the cliches and sound bites better than I do.

If he establishes them as a higher mid-table side with some top half finishes he will enhance his reputation a lot. If he gets relegated with Burnley his reputation will take a hit. It might not be fair due to the resources at his disposal but there is no way to spin relegation as anything other than a negative.

If he does well at Bolton he might well get a shot at a job like at an Everton or Villa or Spurs.

It makes sense. Coyle's stock at the moment is very high. It would plunge if Burnley went down. The likes of Pulis and Phil Brown have kept clubs in the Prem...

I can't see a bigger team than Bolton coming in for him. Who would? None of the bigger jobs look like being available for a long time.

Bolton are a bigger team no doubts!

1. Bolton 28,000 stadium, Dingles 21k stadium (and rotting)
  2. Bolton established premier team, Dingles new-boys
  3. Bolton have a better squad
  4. Boltons wage bill is 3x that of Burnleys.
  5. Boltons top buy £9m (Elmander), Dingles £3m (Fletcher)
  6. Bolton - bigger fan base, new academy on the way, better training facilities, 'given' the odd £10m from Eddie Davies every now and then to buy a player

Guest Kamy100

I think that key part of Coyle's thinking is that Bolton are an established Premier League Club, they have been in the PL for 9 years and he'll see it as a step up, while not having huge financial resources, they have more than Burnley. Like Hughes at Rovers, Coyle will see clubs such as Burnley and Bolton as a stepping stone to bigger and brighter things.

It will be a test of his managerial ability and playing philosophy, the squad he has at Bolton will does not seem to have the components to play the style that he has used at Bolton so he like any good manager he will have to his approach. Interesting times ahead for Bolton and Bumley, particularly the Dingles as they are going to find it hard to get an adequate replacement.

If Coyle has any faith in his own ability, and I'm sure he will have, he will be convinced in his own mind he can replicate at Bolton the job Allardyce did there and Hughes did here.

Experience and hindsight might ultimately prove him wrong but that is what he will believe now.

Archived